Poor remake

yowzagabowza

• 5 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, HellcoreFire said:

I played the demo but didn't like it enough to buy it. But since it's on PSNow I was tempted to play it. I don't know whom of you to believe, lol. Guess I'll play it on my only for the story account.

It's a pretty easy platinum - 44%. If you're going to play it anyway, may as well go all the way. It's flawed but fun.

I never played the first Medieval, but I'm...unimpressed by this remake. 

On 10/8/2020 at 3:07 AM, HellcoreFire said:

I played the demo but didn't like it enough to buy it. But since it's on PSNow I was tempted to play it. I don't know whom of you to believe, lol. Guess I'll play it on my only for the story account.

I agree with the poster above. The extra work for the plat looks to be minimal.

Edited by starcrunch061

Kind of feel like the people earlier in the thread are being unfair to the OP. Why shouldn't a remake for PS4 be compared against other PS4 titles?

I only started this yesterday and have played the first three levels, and I'm not particular enamoured with it either. The framerate is choppy (which as others have said doesn't make sense given the visual quality), the camera is fucking terrible and everything about it just feels dated. A personal highlight was how the characters walk in cutscenes; definitely wasn't expecting it to be that bad.

Compare this to, for example, the N-Sane Trilogy and Reignited Trilogy and I can fully see why people are disappointed. Those are examples of excellent remakes, which when compared to current gen games, still hold their own. Medievil just feels average and that's coming from a big fan of the original. And personally; I don't see any problem is pointing that out.

Seems like people just had their nostalgia goggles firmly attached.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2020 at 8:58 AM, HelixNebula_x said:

Kind of feel like the people earlier in the thread are being unfair to the OP. Why shouldn't a remake for PS4 be compared against other PS4 titles?

I only started this yesterday and have played the first three levels, and I'm not particular enamoured with it either. The framerate is choppy (which as others have said doesn't make sense given the visual quality), the camera is fucking terrible and everything about it just feels dated. A personal highlight was how the characters walk in cutscenes; definitely wasn't expecting it to be that bad.

Compare this to, for example, the N-Sane Trilogy and Reignited Trilogy and I can fully see why people are disappointed. Those are examples of excellent remakes, which when compared to current gen games, still hold their own. Medievil just feels average and that's coming from a big fan of the original. And personally; I don't see any problem is pointing that out.

Seems like people just had their nostalgia goggles firmly attached.

I was about to say. Downloaded this from PSNow and every problem the OP had I'm having, very strange to see so many act like they were making it up. Multiple crashes, huge framerate drops bringing the game to a stutter, plus my launch PS4 sounds like it's literally going to blast out the roof. It wasn't even this loud for the TLOU2. ?

• Like 1

On 8-10-2020 at 10:51 AM, Darling Baphomet said:

It's a pretty easy platinum - 44%. If you're going to play it anyway, may as well go all the way. It's flawed but fun.

On 9-10-2020 at 4:47 PM, starcrunch061 said:

I agree with the poster above. The extra work for the plat looks to be minimal.

I played it and found both the game and going for the plat to be pretty fun. I even started the original version and am enjoying it a lot too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I missed out on this series when I was younger and I've nearly completed the game on ps4. It plays very much like a PS1 game which, I suppose is good since they are trying to replicate the original, but with a graphics overhaul.

That being said, I don't miss PS1 controls or camera angles. I'm happy I finally got to experience this game and the story and meet Sir Daniel, but I'm also very happy that I'm nearly done with the game. The controls, while being true to form for a PS1 game, are infuriating and I've had my fill of reliving that era of madness. 

• 2 weeks later...

Having now finished this game, I feel it's a B list remake because the frame-rate is very poor in some places, the hit detection is off in places, the camera sucks and I had 2 crashes but overall it's a solid if unspectacular game that would have benefitted from another 3 or 4 months in development. Also, I cannot explain why some players had nothing but trouble with this game and others, like myself, had almost almost no problems for the most part.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.

• 7 months later...

Just finished the game today. Camera angels was a bit anoying but an easy and fun plat. And when l did the PS one version unlocked. Played Dan's crypt on this version and l'm very happy for not be a gamer stuck in 1998.

Unbelivable they could sell consols back then with crappy games like this. ?

22 minutes ago, DAS2in1 said:

Just finished the game today. Camera angels was a bit anoying but an easy and fun plat. And when l did the PS one version unlocked. Played Dan's crypt on this version and l'm very happy for not be a gamer stuck in 1998.

Unbelivable they could sell consols back then with crappy games like this. 1f602.png

It’s not a “crappy game” by any means, it’s easy to say that with the context of the modern industry. 

I never saw this frame rate problem people seem to have with the game, seemed  like a perfect remake.

On 11/15/2020 at 8:48 AM, gamerultimate3dj said:

Poor remake? Its a fcking shit remake. 

My game is glitched and I can't get the dragon gems, so I have to restart the whole f game. 

It’s not shit, like at all. How can it be “a fucking shit remake” when it captures the original perfectly, and improves on it? Gamers these days….

Edited by DarkHpokinsn

28 minutes ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

It’s not a “crappy game” by any means, it’s easy to say that with the context of the modern industry. 

I never saw this frame rate problem people seem to have with the game, seemed  like a perfect remake.

It’s not shit, like at all. How can it be “a fucking shit remake” when it captures the original perfectly, and improves on it? Gamers these days….

Yes, the 1998 version was crap but remake is a fun game.

10 minutes ago, DAS2in1 said:

Yes, the 1998 version was crap but remake is a fun game.

I’d disagree with the first part of that, what is great about the remake was also present in the original, the original is a classic for a reason. I don’t know how you can say it’s crap in one iteration but not in the other. It’s the same game. 

• 2 weeks later...

I can't speak for any performance issues people have experienced with Medievil on the PS4, as I've just played it from start to finish on PS5 using PS Now. But for the game itself, having played the original when I was just 10 years old, it was a huge nostalgia trip and I felt they absolutely did the original justice. I loved it, had a tonne of fun with it and didn't really feel the controls or camera angles ever broke my immersion with it!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ScintillaWolf said:

I can't speak for any performance issues people have experienced with Medievil on the PS4, as I've just played it from start to finish on PS5 using PS Now. But for the game itself, having played the original when I was just 10 years old, it was a huge nostalgia trip and I felt they absolutely did the original justice. I loved it, had a tonne of fun with it and didn't really feel the controls or camera angles ever broke my immersion with it!

I totally agree with you and I'm in the same boat. Played this game as a kid (just the demo) and seeing those level again was great. I'm not a graphic whore and I don't care if this game looked "bad" I still enjoyed it and didn't regret any second. One thing which I liked a lot is when you collected all chalices you unlocked the original ps1 game in the main menu. Imo every remaster should do this or at least to have the option (Like in the Wonderboy or new Alex the Kidd remake) to switch back to the original graphics. I like those comparisons how a game looked 20 years ago and how it looks now. 

Edited by ShadyWARcotix
  • Like 2

On 25/07/2021 at 5:33 PM, ShadyWARcotix said:

I totally agree with you and I'm in the same boat. Played this game as a kid (just the demo) and seeing those level again was great. I'm not a graphic whore and I don't care if this game looked "bad" I still enjoyed it and didn't regret any second. One thing which I liked a lot is when you collected all chalices you unlocked the original ps1 game in the main menu. Imo every remaster should do this or at least to have the option (Like in the Wonderboy or new Alex the Kidd remake) to switch back to the original graphics. I like those comparisons how a game looked 20 years ago and how it looks now. 

Ha! I must admit, seeing the PS1 version unlocked after collecting all the chalices was an unexpected treat! I only loaded it up to listen to the old PS boot up audio ?

4 hours ago, ScintillaWolf said:

Ha! I must admit, seeing the PS1 version unlocked after collecting all the chalices was an unexpected treat! I only loaded it up to listen to the old PS boot up audio 1f602.png

I closed the game immediately it looked so bad my eyes hurt. Sometimes it is better to not play video games from back in the day ?

• Like 1

• 5 months later...