Do I suck, or is this game much harder than anyone gives it credit for?

Maahniac

42 minutes ago, Maahniac said:

The lack of checkpoints is so annoying. It's not that the challenges in the game itself are that difficult, but if you die (which I typically do at least once at a boss fight) you start the chapter all over. I spent about 1½ hour in the Enchanted Earth level, because I kept arriving at the boss battle with too little health. While the game is not super hard or anything, I'd defintely say it's harder than 2/10 from the trophy guide. Sure, you can do everything with a little practice and patience, but it's not like you could just blast through in one take either. Or is it just me?

Btw, the Scarecrow Fields were super annoying as well.

the game is a fair remake. could have been a little more redesigned sure. But to answer your question... right outside the Queen Ant level is a green health pad. Hammer wrecks the single ants as well. She took me 3 tries, i didnt even know i could jump on the amber in front of her. i beat her shooting crossbow arrows at her.

good luck!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Maahniac said:

Btw, after completing the game, is it then possible to run around the map and replay past levels, or will beating the last boss end the game? If so, does the game have New Game+, or?

You can still replay levels after beating Zarok. Plus you kinda have to if you're going for the platinum. They added 'Lost Souls' to the game, which wasn't in the original. That alone makes you replay every level (except for the final level) again anyway so nothing is miss-able.

52 minutes ago, LegacyJKO09 said:

the game is a fair remake. could have been a little more redesigned sure. But to answer your question... right outside the Queen Ant level is a green health pad. Hammer wrecks the single ants as well. She took me 3 tries, i didnt even know i could jump on the amber in front of her. i beat her shooting crossbow arrows at her.

good luck!

I tried that tactic afterwards, the stand on the amber, but I think the knives did more damage for me.

But yeah, she took me 3 tries as well to get a good pattern down... then another 2 times to refill the damn chicken, first for the quest itself, then a second to refill it correctly.

But I agree about the lack of checkpoints, that is annoying for sure.  Though the Ant area is the only place I've outright gotten a game over in.  Other areas, not quite (but close, like the Scarecrow Fields).

13 minutes ago, xMissFantasy said:

You can still replay levels after beating Zarok. Plus you kinda have to if you're going for the platinum. They added 'Lost Souls' to the game, which wasn't in the original. That alone makes you replay every level (except for the final level) again anyway so nothing is miss-able.

Yeah, replaying levels helps.  Helped me to get the trophy for the boulders on Cemetery Hill, since I would get hit, so I'd leave or restart the level.  Took me a few tries, just because of those red boulders, I swear their paths are more random on if they'll go down the shortcuts you want to take or not.

I wouldn't call it hard, but the 2/10 on the Powerpyx guide is way underselling it, currently struggling with the boss that has two flying demons on the shifting platform.

However most of the games difficulty is artificial.  It's very much of its time, and they did nothing to improve the truly awful controls and camera.  The mechanics in this game consistently work against you, not for you.  I'm always fighting the game itself as much as I am the enemies.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TemplePilot said:

I wouldn't call it hard, but the 2/10 on the Powerpyx guide is way underselling it, currently struggling with the boss that has two flying demons on the shifting platform.

Lol, I died there after the platform turned and quit the game for today. Yeah certain levels are pretty hard...

• 2 months later...

Also been suffering with Medievil supposed difficulty , i thought it would be a fun and easy plat to do since the rarity of plat is almost 50% and i'm getting so frustated instead and had to leave the game for awhile to not piss me off in the meantime. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I started this very recently and think that it's just a matter of how you play. I played through Enchanted Earth very carefully after I Game Over'd twice and killed every enemy with a long ranged weapon (works with Shadow Demons as well, just leg it when they warp to you). This way I had plenty of health bottles left when i faced the boss and beat him despite falling off the shifting plattform twice. Spears are very effective. They only need 15 hits to kill the boss.

• 3 months later...

It's not that hard but more annoying as if u mess up by failing jumps etc which can lead to death quite easily and scarecrow fields is an extremely annoying level if u are trying to get the chalice your first time through the game. The 2/10 difficulty is definitely not correct though and it should be at least a 3-4/10 but the more annoying thing about powerpyx's guide is how the time to platinum is completely off. For anyone who hasn't played the original, this is definitely a 12-15 hr plat. I don't see how you can plat it in 6-8 hrs unless u complete each level instantly without ever dying, skipping cutscenes or knowing where to go

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I honestly don't understand what peoples issues are with this game.

You're all really asking for checkpoints, in a game where each level is maybe at its longest half an hour?

If you're struggling with enemies and bosses you're also clearly not collecting the chalices, by the time I did the demons on the moving platform I had magic arrows and they were no trouble at all. Ant queen? massive hammer full charged kills ants instantly and then when you get the magic sword the rest of the game is a cakewalk.

I only played the demo, and I believe this remake is very faithful to the original, and to my knowledge the original was a bit difficult just like this, the enemies hit boxes is all over the place as you have to keep swinging your sword like a mad man hoping for the best, the second game is one of my most favorite ps1 games and it was way much harder.

Edited by yellowwindow7

Yo, I'm in the same boat. Downloaded this as it was suggested as one of the easier platinums to get on a playstation now trial, and uhm...I would say it's definitely more difficult than "Its an easy trophy!"

I'm running into the same issue as you, dying and restarting levels is tedious and always seem to get to the bosses with little health on the more challenging levels.

Either way, I am having fun with it, so I don't mind.