Do I suck, or is this game much harder than anyone gives it credit for?

Maahniac

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2020 at 8:55 PM, kingjavs said:

Yo, I'm in the same boat. Downloaded this as it was suggested as one of the easier platinums to get on a playstation now trial, and uhm...I would say it's definitely more difficult than "Its an easy trophy!"

I'm running into the same issue as you, dying and restarting levels is tedious and always seem to get to the bosses with little health on the more challenging levels.

Either way, I am having fun with it, so I don't mind.

I would say once you're able to clear the scarecrow level the game gets very easy. The upgraded weapons make the later stages a cakewalk. I had some difficulties until I managed to clear that stage then it was very easy the rest of the time. 

On 11/6/2020 at 10:08 PM, Unebrion said:

I would say once you're able to clear the scarecrow level the game gets very easy. The upgraded weapons make the later stages a cakewalk. I had some difficulties until I managed to clear that stage then it was very easy the rest of the time. 

Oh yeah, I got the platinum shortly after. Once your start getting the magic weapons the enemies are a joke. But definitely was a challenging build up to it. The scarecrow level and the enchanted forest are both pretty big difficultly spikes when you first get to them.

• 2 months later...

I would like to subscribe to PlayStation Now and play MediEvil. Is this game really that hard? What's the consensus? :hmm:

My first ultra-rare plat is Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, but that game wasn't rage-inducing at all. On the other hand, Ruiner, which is actually a far more common plat, gave me rage-inducing moment during a certain boss fight in which I had to defeat in three stages on highest difficulty. :lol:

I started this thread and... No... Not that hard. But not a total breeze either. You need to focus. The level I had trouble with forced me to replay it several times, because I kept falling off a platform against the Boss at the end... And there are no checkpoints. But the game is so fun that it's totally worth it. 

• Like 1

Yeah I think it's just you? ? I had no issues getting through the game and I don't think I got a single Game Over (I think there was a Death/Game Over related Trophy? and if so that's like the only time) 

I did get stuck and kinda frustrated at the Sleepy Village/Enchanted Earth and Scarecrow Fields and never beat them or the game... Back on PS1 when I was like 6 ? but honestly the entire game was smooth sailing for me on PS4, just disappointed that Medievil 2 is still lost to time and I don't think it's very cheap either (and not on PSN for PS3/PSP/PSVita, I will have to fork out the cash and finally play it though at some point ?)

I still need to get back to it and finish off those Spirits or whatever for my Plat and so I can free up a solid 40GBs but I've been lazy (and didn't feel like replaying like every level after just beating the game)

Edited by MRR---OFFICIAL

• 3 weeks later...

When I saw the trophy guides difficulty rating for this, I was kinda puzzled too, as I was getting annihilated at the "Inside the Asylum" level.... But then it turned out I wasnt picking up any upgrades from our statue friends in The Hall of Heros xD After getting the crossbow, I didnt realize the same guy would give me another reward before being able to collect rewards from others! Once I collected my rewards the game difficulty definitely got a lot easier

I haven’t played this one (yet), but from what I’ve heard it’s quite faithful to the original version. And these older games are often quite difficult! 

Whenever I play one of these older titles, it’s quite an eye opening experience and makes me realize how many features in modern games we take completely for granted. If we’re being completely honest, most games nowadays hold your hand the entire way through and have various safety nets in place to protect you.

It’s easy to forget the way games back in the day would just drop you into the world with no map, no objective markings or sense of direction, no checkpoints, bad saving system, poor controls and camera etc.

It can be quite a kick in the ass if you haven’t played a game like this in a long time. ?

I remember the original having some pretty infuriating difficulty spikes when I replayed it and just didn't bother finishing it, though I don't recall having problems as a kid where I remember beating it easily! God damn, why wasn't Dark Souls a thing when I was a kid?

17 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

It’s easy to forget the way games back in the day would just drop you into the world with no map, no objective markings or sense of direction, no checkpoints, bad saving system, poor controls and camera etc.

I remember getting stuck for years in the early parts of the original Metal Gear Solid, until I found a magazine featuring a detailed walkthrough of the game at some flea market. It said I needed to blow some walls in game with C4 in order to fight Revolver Ocelot. I knew nothing about the internet at the time. :lol:

12 hours ago, zizimonster said:

I remember getting stuck for years in the early parts of the original Metal Gear Solid, until I found a magazine featuring a detailed walkthrough of the game at some flea market. It said I needed to blow some walls in game with C4 in order to fight Revolver Ocelot. I knew nothing about the internet at the time. :lol:

I remember the pre-internet days too! Getting stuck was something that actually happened frequently in games, sometimes for very long periods of time. But when you’d finally come back to it and find the path forward it made you feel like such a bad ass.

I also remember the first time I got my hands on a strategy guide. I believe it was for Majora’s Mask on N64, and I just remember that despite playing the ever loving shit out of that game with my brothers and finding out so many things ourselves, the book really opened my eyes to how many hidden secrets and things were still out there to find.

Nowadays, thanks to the internet that kind of in-depth information gets compiled on the internet very quickly, and most people probably never get stuck for more than 5 minutes in any given game. We’re definitely spoiled nowadays. ?

Also, my tactic to keep my life bottles full before going to a new level is replaying Dan's Crypt. If you have already got the second life potion in the level you can get two health vials per trip and a good bundle of gold to help pay for ammo refill, and since the stage is extremely short you can get all your life potions refilled in like a minute.

The game isn't too hard if you use this strat, the only time i ever got a game over was in Enchanted Earth and that's before i started doing the health potion refill strat.

15 hours ago, zizimonster said:

2 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

I remember the pre-internet days too! Getting stuck was something that actually happened frequently in games, sometimes for very long periods of time. But when you’d finally come back to it and find the path forward it made you feel like such a bad ass.

I also remember the first time I got my hands on a strategy guide. I believe it was for Majora’s Mask on N64, and I just remember that despite playing the ever loving shit out of that game with my brothers and finding out so many things ourselves, the book really opened my eyes to how many hidden secrets and things were still out there to find.

Nowadays, thanks to the internet that kind of in-depth information gets compiled on the internet very quickly, and most people probably never get stuck for more than 5 minutes in any given game. We’re definitely spoiled nowadays. 1f601.png

There was internet back then, but if you both were like most kids you had to have a parent or guardian who had access to the internet. No smartphones, no good laptops, no Wi-Fi. The best you could possibly get was DSL, most people had dial-up internet which was the equivalent of watching paint dry.

I had a dad who worked at Hewlett Packard and some of his friends were techies who knew a bit about internet, so I was extremely grateful to have Windows 98 at a time when most kids had no internet at all.

I remember around 1998 - 2000 I had friends come over for sleepovers and we'd take turns playing Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time on the N64. We had no money and I was allowed little time on the internet, so I couldn't even get a strategy guide book for the game. We played sporadically, I remember getting stuck in the Water Temple as Adult Link for what felt like forever. Took us a solid week or two off and on to figure out that block puzzle. Finally we got to Shadow Link and we didn't know how to beat him. Eventually we beat him and got to the Water Temple Boss.

Every medallion I got in Ocarina of Time felt like a huge accomplishment. It was the same thing with Super Mario 64, I didn't know how to get a lot of the Stars needed to unlock the levels that led to Bowser. So like with Ocarina of Time, getting the more difficult ones felt like a huge sigh of relief.

That's not to mention that the controls in N64 era games were a lot worse. I remember there was a huge story back then regarding parents complaining that their kids had sore hands after a certain Tug-o-War minigame in Mario Party 1 where you had to constantly rotate the control stick. My parents paid a lot of money for each N64 game because they weren't cheap, and because the games were cartridges, if they got dirty enough they wouldn't even fucking work!

Nowadays I'm a guy in his 30s who can practically buy any game I want right off the PS Store and the game is downloaded onto my PS4 console in a matter of hours. Back when I was 12 - 14 years old I was happy and grateful to have around 8 - 10 N64 games, ranging from good to horrifically bad.

The only real challenge I see in gaming now is some indie games, particularly Super Meat Boy and other hard as nails platformers. AAA games for the most part today are basically breeze throughs, you play them on the easiest difficulty setting and you get yourself a platinum.

MediEvil is on my wishlist, will get to it when it drops in price a little.

Edited by Spaz

12 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

There was internet back then, but if you both were like most kids you had to have a parent or guardian who had access to the internet. No smartphones, no good laptops, no Wi-Fi. The best you could possibly get was DSL, most people had dial-up internet which was the equivalent of watching paint dry.

I had a dad who worked at Hewlett Packard and some of his friends were techies who knew a bit about internet, so I was extremely grateful to have Windows 98 at a time when most kids had no internet at all.

I remember around 1998 - 2000 I had friends come over for sleepovers and we'd take turns playing Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time on the N64. We had no money and I was allowed little time on the internet, so I couldn't even get a strategy guide book for the game. We played sporadically, I remember getting stuck in the Water Temple as Adult Link for what felt like forever. Took us a solid week or two off and on to figure out that block puzzle. Finally we got to Shadow Link and we didn't know how to beat him. Eventually we beat him and got to the Water Temple Boss.

Every medallion I got in Ocarina of Time felt like a huge accomplishment. It was the same thing with Super Mario 64, I didn't know how to get a lot of the Stars needed to unlock the levels that led to Bowser. So like with Ocarina of Time, getting the more difficult ones felt like a huge sigh of relief.

That's not to mention that the controls in N64 era games were a lot worse. I remember there was a huge story back then regarding parents complaining that their kids had sore hands after a certain Tug-o-War minigame in Mario Party 1 where you had to constantly rotate the control stick. My parents paid a lot of money for each N64 game because they weren't cheap, and because the games were cartridges, if they got dirty enough they wouldn't even fucking work!

Nowadays I'm a guy in his 30s who can practically buy any game I want right off the PS Store and the game is downloaded onto my PS4 console in a matter of hours. Back when I was 12 - 14 years old I was happy and grateful to have around 8 - 10 N64 games, ranging from good to horrifically bad.

The only real challenge I see in gaming now is some indie games, particularly Super Meat Boy and other hard as nails platformers. AAA games for the most part today are basically breeze throughs, you play them on the easiest difficulty setting and you get yourself a platinum.

I meant that the internet wasn’t what it is now. My family had dial up in the early years, and I laugh thinking about how young kids growing up nowadays will never know what it was like to have to do short ~20 minute stints on the net at a time because it would tie up all the phone lines in the house! And there just wasn’t all the information available there is now, especially not for something non-important like video games.

I also remember asking for an N64 every single year for Christmas and was always disappointed when I didn’t get one, but it was largely due to the fact my parents were not too big on video games back then. I was part of the last generation of children who grew up playing outside, before screens began to dominate daily life and helicopter parents who are too scared to let their kids wander around the streets on their own became the norm. My parents used to literally just say “go play” and my brothers and I would spend all day roaming the streets and playing with other kids in the neighbourhood. 

Most of my gaming took place at friend’s houses, and so my early gaming memories are quite similar to yours Spaz. We didn’t have a lot of games, so the ones we had, we played the shit out of them. And any time someone got a new one, we would all congregate at their house and watch them play, taking turns passing around the controller and shouting out ideas on how to progress or solve whatever puzzle or boss we were on at the time. It was a really social activity, and I remember those experiences very fondly.

It’s crazy to think of how much the world has changed in such a short period of time, and so strange to think of the fact so many people have grown up in the digital world and have no idea what it was like before, because for better or for worse, their entire lives have been defined by technology and screens and cell phones. I feel fucking old! ?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

There are difficult games besides indies that are releasing nowadays

The game is hard at the beginning but when you start collecting Chalices rewards and Life bottles the game becomes a lot easier. I want to say you'll pass the border when you beat Enchanted Forest.

But I do think that the Plat difficulty is a little low, I would say its a 3/10 at most a 4/10 but that's a big at most.

5 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

I meant that the internet wasn’t what it is now. My family had dial up in the early years, and I laugh thinking about how young kids growing up nowadays will never know what it was like to have to do short ~20 minute stints on the net at a time because it would tie up all the phone lines in the house! And there just wasn’t all the information available there is now, especially not for something non-important like video games.

I also remember asking for an N64 every single year for Christmas and was always disappointed when I didn’t get one, but it was largely due to the fact my parents were not too big on video games back then. I was part of the last generation of children who grew up playing outside, before screens began to dominate daily life and helicopter parents who are too scared to let their kids wander around the streets on their own became the norm. My parents used to literally just say “go play” and my brothers and I would spend all day roaming the streets and playing with other kids in the neighbourhood. 

Most of my gaming took place at friend’s houses, and so my early gaming memories are quite similar to yours Spaz. We didn’t have a lot of games, so the ones we had, we played the shit out of them. And any time someone got a new one, we would all congregate at their house and watch them play, taking turns passing around the controller and shouting out ideas on how to progress or solve whatever puzzle or boss we were on at the time. It was a really social activity, and I remember those experiences very fondly.

It’s crazy to think of how much the world has changed in such a short period of time, and so strange to think of the fact so many people have grown up in the digital world and have no idea what it was like before, because for better or for worse, their entire lives have been defined by technology and screens and cell phones. I feel fucking old! 1f602.png

You were vasted limited on the internet. The long process to even connect plus the sheer clunkiness of those old browsers filtered a lot of the idiots. The morons on Twitter today wouldn’t of been smart enough to know how to use the internet back then. 

I remember the pre YouTube and Wikipedia days well. It was a pain to find good walkthroughs on the internet, particularly with Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time because I got stuck so many times. It took a real long time to finally get to Ganondorf, and escaping the crumbling tower was another section I struggled in. 

Yes there were guides at that time, but I remember a guide for Super Mario 64 being expensive. Wages were lower then too, so parents had to pay more. 

I’m going to guess you’re in your 30s like me. I can’t say that anyone born in 1995 or later had the same childhood we did, because computer screens had already taken over.

Like you, we passed controllers around and simply had fun. Pokemon Stadium was a game we played excessively, during the peak of the Pokemon craze. 

Now you got kids on Overwatch and Fortnite. They’re not interacting to each other nicely, they’re screaming at each other. Plenty of articles I read online regarding this. Their future is questionable at best.

• 2 months later...

I'd say the game just sometimes isn't balanced all that well in terms of difficulty. It's relatively smooth sailing untill you leave the graveyard. Both scarecrow fields and enchanted earth are some major leaps in difficulty and it took me, and probably many others who haven't played the original, by complete surprise. Feels like the best plan of action is to visit the ant maze first (make sure you have the hammer) since the chicken legs are 1 hit kills against the scarecrows.

Dealing with the ant maze this early on was definitely tricky though, but i feel like it was easier then trying to kill the scarecrows without the chicken legs. You could also always just leg it and ignore the scarecrows and leave both these areas for later on but you would be delaying the chalices making the next levels also harder than they need to be, speaking of which, the pumpkin levels are just so incredibly easy in comparison, even easier than the early levels so the game can just be weirdly paced sometimes. Point being that some levels can and will just be a bitch without you really having to blame yourself for it, although it can massively help to just bring the right tools to each fight and situation.

Edited by Flex_Da_Brent

• 4 months later...