Trophy thoughts?

Tarsier182

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

It took me just shy of 23 hours to complete, and I'd give it something like 6/10 for challenge. My greatest difficulty was simply navigating the dungeon, thanks in part to a subpar map that reveals no details about the current room, or your location within it, and provides only a vague idea of where the exit doors lead. You also cannot backtrack in most instances; pass through a door, or drop down from a ledge, and you probably won't be able to return without starting a new run. It took a while to wrap my head around the layout well enough to locate all the upgrade tablets, library books, and quest NPCs.

Combat also felt terrible for much of the game, because I only had access to sluggish weapons that ate up too much stamina, and didn't do enough damage. I resorted to using Hezek's Cudgel for a large chunk my playtime, since it's the only weapon which seemed to hit for worthwhile numbers, and it has impressive reach, along with its capability to destroy cracked walls. I suggest defeating the Gloomy Cellblock boss as soon as possible, to unlock Adonias' Glinting Gladius at the forge—probably the best weapon until you obtain the White Blade from the final boss. Also, before doing any combat challenge trophies, make certain to activate every last upgrade tablet, and unlock the Protective Sphere consumable by bringing a cell key to the cage in The Cloister of the Chosen.

Some specific tips for troublesome trophies:

Plague-stricken! - I got this shortly after hurting myself on one of those blood mechanisms in The Obsidian Cathedral, which gave me a virus and seemingly two other diseases. It's the one with a threatening note lying to the left of it. Shortly after this, an enemy there dropped an accessory which cursed me with another. I simply kept playing from there, until I picked up a few more ailments, and it popped before the end of the area.

Reaping the Reaper - Easier than I thought, since crow enemies spawn fairly frequently throughout the game, so you're sure to encounter one somewhere after beginning a new run. Just kill one, and carry the scythe down to Elemiah, being certain to drop the Porous Gemstone before entering the boss room if you have it. The Coated Armor blessing makes this even easier, and you might as well carry a few Protective Sphere scrolls into the fight, too.

Giant Killer - Just wait until you receive the Left Elite Earring near the end of the Emissary questline, then enter the Ancient Dungeon and kill 12 easy elites, before finishing his quest.

Philomathy - The False Eden 6/7 book near the beginning of The Obsidian Cathedral is indeed glitched, so you'll have to go read it again after finding every other text. The trophy unlocked right then for me. Also, one of the Curious Man notes in Ancient Dungeon is mislabeled when you collect it, but don't worry, because it will record to the library correctly.

Templar versus Templar - Use this guide to grab the equipment, then it's simply a matter of running to the boss. I recommend picking up a bunch of attack firefly items at Purged Hamlet along the way, as well. I released six of them in the boss room, and they did the vast majority of the work, combined with Coated Armor. I barely had to actually hit him myself! Protective Spheres are also great. Again, drop the Porous Gemstone outside of his room.

David and Goliath - Obviously, you should do this against Elemiah, during the final Emissary quest. As usual, bring the Coated Armor blessing, some armor repair items, and Protective Sphere scrolls (but no weapons whatsoever). Talk to Balthasar outside her room for a damage buff first. The Coated Armor explosions will deplete most of her health bar for you—it's very easy!

The Messiah - Surprisingly easy, but a bit tedious. The guide here is pretty much spot on, but one thing it doesn't mention is that you can exploit The Holy Hallway (final area) to use Basilius’ Guide as much as you want. Simply enter and exit the Chimera boss door to reactivate the nearby font of faith energy, and spam Basilius’ Guide buffs until you have like 350 top end damage on your White Blade. The boss died in around 20 seconds, but I still needed to use a couple of Protective Sphere scrolls for his dumb melee attack series. Those little Templar enemies with shields in The Obsidian Cathedral often drop them, so it's possible to enter the fight with more than 3 scrolls. Additionally, it's important to only RUN over the blood traps in there, to avoid losing blessings. Do NOT roll, or you'll lose two! The Cat's Paw blessing makes you fast enough to pass over them without triggering them whatsoever.

There are also maps and useful information in the various Steam guides for this game, if you need it!

• Like 2