PS4 Controller on PS3 issue

supercanaries

Hello, guys, I have my PS3 still connected both because I have trophies that I still have to take and because there's some Ps3 games I love that didn't get a port. Now, as of today, I turned it on after a while, and I tried to connected the PS4 via USB like I always did. Now it's working on the main menu and the game disk (Final Fantasy XIII-2 currently) but I tried playing Jak II and something really weird happens. Only the direction pad works. As in I can scroll the main menu but can't press X to load the game. It's really weird, does anyone know how to help me?

PS: please forgive me if this is the wrong session to post this topic.

1 minute ago, GraniteSnake said:

Do you mean you are using your PS4 controller with your PS3? Only certain games are compatible, so that could be the reason why. Similar to your case, if you try and play Bayonetta on the PS3 with a DualShock 4, the L2/R2 triggers won’t work for whatever reason.

Yes, I am, oh God, thank you, I had no idea. I have a PS3 controller still but when it's charging, it freaks out and moves on its own command; which it doesn't when it's charged and unplugged. I guess I'll try buying a new PS3 cable to see if that's the issue!

1 minute ago, LunaticCalm01 said:

Yup, it's not there, thank you for clearing this out!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/29/2019 at 11:18 AM, GraniteSnake said:

Do you mean you are using your PS4 controller with your PS3? Only certain games are compatible, so that could be the reason why. Similar to your case, if you try and play Bayonetta on the PS3 with a DualShock 4, the L2/R2 triggers won’t work for whatever reason.

I found that if you connect a DS3 controller first (P1) then a DS4 controller (P2), then switch them with player 1 holding the XMB button, it fixes that issue for some games, bayonetta included.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 11/22/2019 at 2:04 AM, XynoTyflosion said:

I found that if you connect a DS3 controller first (P1) then a DS4 controller (P2), then switch them with player 1 holding the XMB button, it fixes that issue for some games, bayonetta included.

I wish PS3 had proper forwards compatibility with DS4 as I would love to replace my aging DS3's since genuine ones are basically impossible to get now.

• Like 3

On 22/11/2019 at 8:04 AM, XynoTyflosion said:

I forgot to say thanks for sharing, this trick is great. I've just started Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One and using your method I can play it with a DS4, albeit with a wired connection. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 22/11/2019 at 05:04, XynoTyflosion said:

Descobri que se você conectar um controlador DS3 primeiro (P1), depois um controlador DS4 (P2) e, em seguida, alternar com o jogador 1 segurando o botão XMB, isso corrige esse problema para alguns jogos, incluindo bayonetta.

OMG! You are genius bro

• 7 months later...

The issue I'm having is I don't have a working DS3 to pull off the trick Xyno describes above. Or rather I have two, but one won't talk to the system at all and the other is broken to the point of it auto-hitting random buttons.

The crap we go through for achievements.....

Edit: Haven't tried it yet, but I think I figured out one of the issues. I had forgotten, but the specific DS3 I'm trying to use needs to charge before use. It just doesn't have any built-in notification or indication for that, you just have to know.

Edited by Jelly Soup

On 22/11/2019 at 5:04 AM, XynoTyflosion said:

I will try this by doing the test with the GT5/6 as the commands stop responding in races. If it works I think it will work with any game, and saving me $20 on an adapter. ?

If you have a spare $30, Look up a product call Bigbig won r100. It looks cheap and nasty but it really does work well on PS3.

I might add, works really well on everything tbh. I use it on PC with a switch pro controller and it works allot better the general PC bluetooth with steam. 

Edited by Z1MZUM