Possible silent server shutdown?

POEman553

Getting reports in upcoming server shutdown thread that the servers for this game on PS4 are not currently working for over a day. No official announcement of server shutdown and no response from Gearbox as to the status of the game. Gearbox forums have chatter about this as well. Hopefully, it is temporary, but keep it in mind when starting this game.

I really wouldn’t be suprised if Gearbox pulls the plug soon as I forget this game exists.

Battleborn could’ve worked but it was already doomed from the start having it released the same month as Overwatch. Many say that this should’ve been F2P (Paladins, anyone?) as this is one of those games that looks like it should’ve had a different approach to it.

This was well worth Gearbox’s resources making this before Borderlands 3, but I don’t blame them as they said there wouldn’t be one before the release of The Pre-Sequel.

I have a ticket into the response team at Gearbox. Probably not the greatest news. Over the weekend, the game started not counting every match. At the end of a match it could not retrieve the game data. I had 4 out of 9 games work normally, the others, XP would sometimes count, but the lore would not. After doing some research, this has been an issue since a hotfix in 2016, randomly happening. So I mesaged them and got a response pretty quickly. After giving them information they replied back. 

Dalton H.

Oct 27, 11:11 PM CDT

Hey there Mike!

I just wanted to let you know that we are still looking into your situation, but I did want to inform you of some of my findings while I was researching the issue at hand. Firstly, I would like to note that Battleborn is technically sunsetting, essentially meaning that there won't be many future updates, patches, or much maintenance being invested into the game. This is because of not only how old the game is, but also due to the low volume of players.

One reason you may be encountering this error is because there may just not be enough people on the PlayStation servers at once to form a full lobby. And while the lobby can auto-populate with AIs, as it's supposed to, it may be something deeper that I don't have visibility on.

With that being said, we are still looking into this issue for you, but I'll go ahead and send you a bug report attached to this response for you to fill out. Once you get it all ready, you can send the bug report back to me and I'll go ahead and escalate it so we can get you taken care of! Also, I've went ahead and filled out any information already provided.

I'll be looking forward to your response!

Since then all you can get is a "Internal Server Error" when trying to start any match. My advice, make a Shift/Gearbox account and make a ticket.

19 minutes ago, broy300 said:

I have a ticket into the response team at Gearbox. Probably not the greatest news. Over the weekend, the game started not counting every match. At the end of a match it could not retrieve the game data. I had 4 out of 9 games work normally, the others, XP would sometimes count, but the lore would not. After doing some research, this has been an issue since a hotfix in 2016, randomly happening. So I mesaged them and got a response pretty quickly. After giving them information they replied back. 

Dalton H.

Oct 27, 11:11 PM CDT

Hey there Mike!

I just wanted to let you know that we are still looking into your situation, but I did want to inform you of some of my findings while I was researching the issue at hand. Firstly, I would like to note that Battleborn is technically sunsetting, essentially meaning that there won't be many future updates, patches, or much maintenance being invested into the game. This is because of not only how old the game is, but also due to the low volume of players.

One reason you may be encountering this error is because there may just not be enough people on the PlayStation servers at once to form a full lobby. And while the lobby can auto-populate with AIs, as it's supposed to, it may be something deeper that I don't have visibility on.

With that being said, we are still looking into this issue for you, but I'll go ahead and send you a bug report attached to this response for you to fill out. Once you get it all ready, you can send the bug report back to me and I'll go ahead and escalate it so we can get you taken care of! Also, I've went ahead and filled out any information already provided.

I'll be looking forward to your response!

So essentially, if they are going to do future patches, updates, etc., then whatever issue that is occurring won't get fixed because Randy "Squirt Magic" Pitchford is a fn dbag.

19 minutes ago, broy300 said:

Since then all you can get is a "Internal Server Error" when trying to start any match. My advice, make a Shift/Gearbox account and make a ticket.

I played this last night and had zero problems but will do another match today, to be sure ?.

EDIT 1: I just tried to start a private game on Outback and was kicked out after a few seconds so will try something else.

EDIT 2: I've just tried the operations and campaign but can't get into either. Ok, this sucks. I'm going to file a bug report immediately!

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.

It’s not the first time this has happened - iirc back in March they were unreliable/off for about a week. So they may still be fine in a few days or so.

But I’ll keep an eye out for news, and update the trophy guide if it is indeed shut down without warning. Though I can’t imagine Gearbox giving no warning at all.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Kristycism said:

It’s not the first time this has happened - iirc back in March they were unreliable/off for about a week. So they may still be fine in a few days or so.

But I’ll keep an eye out for news, and update the trophy guide if it is indeed shut down without warning. Though I can’t imagine Gearbox giving no warning at all.

Ditto. I'm going to monitor the situation and update my Guides on .org, if the servers have indeed gone offline permanently but I can't imagine Gearbox closing the servers without giving some sort of advanced warning.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RetroFirst said:

Tried completing some of the story mode a while ago and recieved a message saying it failed to recieve my match history. Is the server issue still a problem? :) 

I had the same issues, but the last 2 matches I played, worked.

28 minutes ago, black__bunny said:

I’m thinking if this is in my backlog, I should play it sooner rather than later given their response re minimal future updates/maintenance. Glad it’s back for the moment at least and not just shut down without notice 

Same here, I'll do this after I Platinum Lost Planet 3.

4 hours ago, Floorkiller74 said:

There was a season pass kinda thing, but it didn't last very long. The Trophy DLC are title updates, not purchasable DLC. 

You are right and wrong with that statement. The new Characters were indeed patched in for free and made available to everyone but the Operations are premium DLCs that come with the Season Pass, though the only way to get it now is to buy or grind out the 4,200 Platinum it costs to buy the Season Pass Bundle from the in-game store.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 1