This Would Be The Game That Pops My AC Cherry

it's pretty good gameplay wise, kind of like a smaller version of Black Flag, though I am more partial to the new games and their gameplay changes.

Story wise you're kind of getting into a shitstorm, though it's a pretty self contained story, this game is right in the middle of the series, and it was originally a Black Flag DLC, so the main character introduction was on the original game, if my memory is correct you might be missing out on some back story.

I should've mentioned that I could care less about "stories" in videogames. I only care about the gameplay and whether or not it's actually fun and doesn't have trophies that'll make you want to kick a puppy.

Edited by MrTacoNinja
Spelling

Admittedly, not a great starting point, but you'll get what it's all about in a small sample size. Even though it's a DLC type thing, with the typically anemic level of depth and effort those are given, it may well serve as a good indicator of whether you'll like 90% of the series or not.

I personally enjoy the series and its mindless busywork but it's hardly everybody's idea of a cup of tea. And even this throwaway DLC feels more satisfying in that regard than the endless, rinse-and-repeat grind of AC Origins.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MrTacoNinja said:

I should've mentioned that I could care less about "stories" in videogames. I only care about the gameplay and whether or not it's actually fun and doesn't have trophies that'll make you want to kick a puppy.

If you aren't that interested in the story in a video game then surely you mean you "couldn't care less" then?

In regards to Freedom Cry I thought it was pretty rubbish and, as originally a Black Flag DLC, was missing so much from the main game.

Edited by Martain2

You should get Black Flag instead. This is DLC for it that is also sold separately, so it's probably not a good place to start and not really a complete game by itself. And personally Black Flag was my favourite in the series

I don't think you're getting into a shitstorm though. There's nothing really wrong with Assassin's Creed as a series. The main criticism I can think of was the similiarity between games and frequency of release until Origins

Given the content, this game is not tedious at all, it is like a "demo" for AC Black Flag. Gameplaywise it's ... meh? Doesn't stand out, doesn't shine, it works but it doesn't have all the goodies from the main games.

As a stand alone game ( let's kick the story away because that is rubbish) it's good if you are bored during afternoon and you have no idea what to play. Swing around, shoot some cannons, machete the enemies. The trophies difficulty is around 3/10?? Mainly because one mission has some annoying "steal item from targets" which can get abit buggy (NPC's go tralala in the environment).

As an ahem "cherry popper" though...you definetly do not want to start with this game xD It's the most average mundane easy to miss assassins creed experience you could ever stumble upon.

Edited by Copanele
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Given the content, this game is not tedious at all, it is like a "demo" for AC Black Flag. Gameplaywise it's ... meh? Doesn't stand out, doesn't shine, it works but it doesn't have all the goodies from the main games.

As a stand alone game ( let's kick the story away because that is rubbish) it's good if you are bored during afternoon and you have no idea what to play. Swing around, shoot some cannons, machete the enemies. The trophies difficulty is around 3/10?? Mainly because one mission has some annoying "steal item from targets" which can get abit buggy (NPC's go tralala in the environment).

As an ahem "cherry popper" though...you definetly do not want to start with this game xD It's the most average mundane easy to miss assassins creed experience you could ever stumble upon.

Me and my girlfriend love your avitar. PikaKratos, LOL! My girlfriend also loves your country.

It's on sale for less than 17 HKD and I just so happen to have that amount left over from purchases months ago so I might take the plunge. I just don't want something that's so mind numbingly tedious that I'd rather play in traffic during the Black Friday rush.

52 minutes ago, MrTacoNinja said:

Me and my girlfriend love your avitar. PikaKratos, LOL! My girlfriend also loves your country.

It's on sale for less than 17 HKD and I just so happen to have that amount left over from purchases months ago so I might take the plunge. I just don't want something that's so mind numbingly tedious that I'd rather play in traffic during the Black Friday rush.

LOL xD Ok yeah Kratosichu is one unique avatar I found online,loving it.

In this case yes it's the perfect purchase. It's what you are searching for as a means of relaxation.

UGH man this fucking game is FRUSTRATING! I don't know the mechanics. At all. The combat SUCKS! Everything just feels stiff and slow. This is that type of game that likes to throw tutorials up while you're getting your ass handed to you instead of just gradually explaining the damn mechanics as you go! Yeah, sorry, I can't exactly read that shit while I'm getting gang-raped on screen by ten fucking enemies! Please tell me I'll get the hang of this eventually because at the moment, yeah, not exactly having fun here at all.

I don't think Freedom Cry is the best starting point but if you do like the gameplay, ACIV is one of the better games in the series. Ezio collection shows the original trilogies' age and is quite jank with 2 and Brotherhood.
I'd say skip Unity and go to Syndicate first if you want to keep going with the series. Take on AC3 when you're ready for some RNG bullshit and tedious gameplay.
Can't comment on Origins and Odyssey.

12 minutes ago, MrTacoNinja said:

I'm starting to get the hang of it a little bit but holy shit was it frustrating the piss out of me at first, lol. Sorry for my rant everyone.

Once you get the mechanics, you will lowkey be frustrated about how utterly easy this game is xD the whole combat revolves around parry/counter. I don't know, Circle to parry and other buttons to do something?

In any case, if you have issues just drop a smoke bomb and run/beat everyone up. You select them pressing Up on the D-PAD I believe?

29 minutes ago, totallycrushed said:

I don't think Freedom Cry is the best starting point but if you do like the gameplay, ACIV is one of the better games in the series. Ezio collection shows the original trilogies' age and is quite jank with 2 and Brotherhood.
I'd say skip Unity and go to Syndicate first if you want to keep going with the series. Take on AC3 when you're ready for some RNG bullshit and tedious gameplay.
Can't comment on Origins and Odyssey.

FWIW, I enjoyed Origins and Odyssey from a gameplay standpoint. Both games allowed for free climbing pretty much anywhere which is both convenient and a bit of a cheat code. Terrible "AC" games though...both games have nothing to do with AC except at the very end/DLC. Combat was completely overhauled and removed the counter-kill feature (personally this is Con for me) but the overall combat is better. Overpower attacks are kind of cool. 

Origins, from a Trophy standpoint might be one of the most tedious Plats I ever obtained next to RDR2. Have to complete every. single. place. All forts, camps, chests....and its super repetitive...."Kill 1 or 2 Commanders, Kill 3 captains, loot 4 chests, etc" 

Odyssey was the better of the two from a gameplay perspective but its a very big world as well. I finished 100% in about 110 hours but that includes skipping a bunch of side quests that don't count for trophies, avoiding naval combat like the plague (I preferred Black Flags more modern combat personally) and skipping through dialogue (I'd read it faster than it narrates and just skip to the next part). 

Black Flag is my favorite, Ezio trilogy is probably the next best in the series. Then Syndicate imo (it was a great rebound from Unity...which on its own isn't terrible...just they didn't handle the uplay/other service stuff well).

I love the stealth aspect of it but the combat so far has been FRUSTRATING and atrocious! Absolutely horrendous! And the whole "ship vs ship" thing just isn't me. At all. Other than the stealth aspect this isn't my type of game, especially the god-awful combat! I'm an assassin but I can't dodge? I can't roll? Yet I can jump, swing and run from rooftop to rooftop like I'm fucking Spider-Man? Most likely this will be my last Assassin's Creed game.

-UPDATE-

I fucking HATE this game and wish I never started it. I hate the combat. I hate the horrendous controls whether it be on ship or on land. I HATE the ship aspect to it and don't want to do it at all!!! The more I play this game the more I don't want to play it.

Edited by MrTacoNinja