Series feature criticism

They don't really need to be explicitly numbered, but at the very least every game should definitely get its own stage.

As for the ordering, I don't really care about that but I couldn't figure out how games are actually ordered. It seems to vary by series. The Sonic Series for example isn't ordered by either release date or story, but rather 2D games then 3D ones.

The ideal solution in my eyes would be to not have numbered stages, give every game its own stage, and then they could be ordered by what's considered main series or not. Best of both worlds and doesn't actively make the feature worse.

• Like 1

Maybe this is not the proper place to ask but...what exactly is this series feature? I mean..I know I can click on the group of existing games and see if I platinumed them, but apart from that?

A link to the thread which explains this feature also would be nice, tried to search on the forum and I reached some dubious topics xD 

• Like 1

Just now, Copanele said:

Maybe this is not the proper place to ask but...what exactly is this series feature? I mean..I know I can click on the group of existing games and see if I platinumed them, but apart from that?

A link to the thread which explains this feature also would be nice, tried to search on the forum and I reached some dubious topics xD 

That's basically it so far, I think. I'm not even sure if it's actually been announced yet. I only noticed because I saw someone mention it works now

• Like 1

I would chill a bit and wait for the official announcement.. it doesn't look like it's entirely finished. For example if you go to some game series and the click on "Playstation Series" above it brings you to a japanese profile called "series" ?

https://psnprofiles.com/series

Edit: Dammit, @HusKy beat me to it ?

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 2

Just now, Arcesius said:

I would chill a bit and wait for the official announcement.. it doesn't look like it's entirely finished. For example if you go to some game series and the click on "Playstation Series" above it brings you to a japanes profile called "series" 1f602.png

https://psnprofiles.com/series

A lot of effort seems to have gone into the staging thing that leads me to believe that this is the way it's meant to be. It's best to voice my concerns early rather than wait for the dust to settle

Ok here's some criticism. I have no idea what stages are. I also have no idea what the sorting is. In some stages the games are alphabetically sorted, in other stages the games are just sorted randomly (?) I thought maybe they're sorted by release date but that wasn't the case. If I want to check a game series I wanna see every game of the series sorted by release date that's it no stages no nothing. Also I don't get this 100% obsession meme to the right, I mean seriously? Just cause I didn't buy overpriced Cod dlc, I get a no entry sign even though I've platted many of the games ⛔ ?? So a guy who's never played Cod and myself with many Cod plats get the same ranking wtf? At least tell me I got 10/23 plats or something, only counting 100% seems crazy to me idk

• Like 3

Oh, wow. This is a really cool feature.

I see what you mean, though. I'm looking at the Dragon Quest series now, and it does seem like the games in "No Stage" should be broken up. If "stages" are meant to represent a single gaming experience, it doesn't make sense to lump a bunch of unique games (e.g. Dragon Quest Builders and Dragon Quest Heroes) just because they're not part of the main line.

That said, I like the idea of numbering the stages, but I'm not sure if they're listed by release date or chronological order.

I'm assuming eventually the games listed under "PS2 Classics" will get their own series? It's weird to group GTA: Vice City with Harvest Moon. ?

• Like 2

I actually really like the way the feature's been implemented. It's really useful for knowing which game in the main series you'll have to play next. Sometimes, there's no real "order", so they either just get ordered by release date of lumped up in the "No Stage" section, which so far seems mostly for spin-offs, I think.

Sure, it's not perfect, and I'm sure some people like @Shadiochao might have their own issues, but considering how much work it is to even implement this in the first place, I'm really enjoying what Sly came up with.

Personally, I have no real issues and would just leave the current system as is.

1 minute ago, Zenpai said:

I actually really like the way the feature's been implemented. It's really useful for knowing which game in the main series you'll have to play next. Sometimes, there's no real "order", so they either just get ordered by release date of lumped up in the "No Stage" section, which so far seems mostly for spin-offs, I think.

It's not an either/or thing though. You can still have the ordering you want that shows which game in the main series is next without completely disregarding spinoff titles.

Plus it's inconsistent between series. DmC isn't the necessarily the next game to play after DMC4, since it's a reboot that has no connection to it. Assassin's Creed Freedom Cry and Chronicles aren't given stages, presumably because they're smaller games. But they're still canon to the main story. And some series will *have* to have all their games in separate stages, such as Touhou, which is about 16 games that are all spinoffs with no story and all made by different developers.

That's what I mean by it being arbitrary. It's not an important enough distinction to make when the consequences are having spinoffs being considered a lower tier than everything else. Why not go the extra step and apply the same standards to all games rather than making a special case for the games that have connected worlds and stories? The stories aren't strictly anything to do with trophy hunting. People do play those spinoffs, and as one of them I'd like to use this feature to track my progress in them the same way I would with any other games, but I can't because someone has decided that these games aren't relevant enough for that.

• Like 3