Plat and NG+ = B ranking? Yikes!

Matto_lsi

As I borrowed the disc from a friend, I don't intend to pay for the DLC, so here's hoping the game gets added to PS+ at some point and super casuals drop the completion percentage.  This game wasn't hard, but man, 50% average completion?  That's WAY higher than I'd expect from an open-world game with so many optional trophies.  I know ranking on here really doesn't matter, but of nearly 300 games I've played, it's the only one below an A or S rank, which was surprising after getting Plat and doing the NG+ free DLC trophies.

I haven't done the NG+/Ultimate trophies yet but I noticed that I didn't reach A rank until I was two trophies short of completing Turf Wars (TCTNS Part 2).  That was with the base game and The Heist (TCTNS Part 1) both at 100%.

Edited by fauxtronic

• 3 weeks later...

This is the one reason I don’t like the ranking system. No other trophy website has a thing like this so why does PSNP need it? I hate looking at my profile with all my games at an S or A rank except for one or two because that’s what the ranks do. The system makes me obsess too much over my trophies/games than I really need to.

Telltale’s The Walking Dead S1 and Borderlands GOTY (both the PS4 releases) are exceptions because all of the DLCs are included with the game, although I’ll admit getting a C rank upon earning the platinum for TWD before starting the 400 Days DLC seems ridiculous.

Edited by PepsiMaxVanilla
  • Like 1

On 11/29/2019 at 4:30 PM, PepsiMaxVanilla said:

This is the one reason I don’t like the ranking system. No other trophy website has a thing like this so why does PSNP need it? I hate looking at my profile with all my games at an S or A rank except for one or two because that’s what the ranks do. The system makes me obsess too much over my trophies/games than I really need to.

Telltale’s The Walking Dead S1 and Borderlands GOTY (both the PS4 releases) are exceptions because all of the DLCs are included with the game, although I’ll admit getting a C rank upon earning the platinum for TWD before starting the 400 Days DLC seems ridiculous.

Yeah, that's my feeling too.  I understand it's based on average completion, but a Plat is a Plat.  It really should never be below A rank.  I also don't understand why DLC we don't own and haven't started is counted against our completion percentage.  If you're going to count something against us that we don't own, may as well count every trophy from every game ever.  We'll all drop down to under 2% (except Hakoom) which is accurate for the entire Playstation catalog.  It seems arbitrary to count DLC if I don't have a trophy in that pack.  Other sites I belong to show me as 99%+, which is accurate for what I've played.  Then I come here and I'm down to 94% because I don't spend more on a 2 hour DLC than the entire 80 hour game cost me.  Yeah, ok....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2019 at 9:26 PM, Matto_lsi said:

Yeah, that's my feeling too.  I understand it's based on average completion, but a Plat is a Plat.  It really should never be below A rank.  I also don't understand why DLC we don't own and haven't started is counted against our completion percentage.  If you're going to count something against us that we don't own, may as well count every trophy from every game ever.  We'll all drop down to under 2% (except Hakoom) which is accurate for the entire Playstation catalog.  It seems arbitrary to count DLC if I don't have a trophy in that pack.  Other sites I belong to show me as 99%+, which is accurate for what I've played.  Then I come here and I'm down to 94% because I don't spend more on a 2 hour DLC than the entire 80 hour game cost me.  Yeah, ok....

For the percentages, I like the same at what is shown on your Sony PSN profile. When the DLC trophies release, it always count and drop down the total completion.

• 3 weeks later...

Now imagine that you've got a 100% trophy profile and that every time someone releases a dlc or update including trophies, they are already guaranteed your business by obsessive compulsion regardless if you like the game or not lol (Screw you CoD WW2 you almost butchered my profile). This game was good and yet not too challenging albeit long winded, so of course the completion is high. But, when I look at something like Bloodborne where you also have a great game yet it is indeed a hard and very challenging learning curve, but you see a slightly elevated completion rate on such a trying game it just goes to show that people will stick it out if it's truly a rewarding experience. This game I think did that for a lot of people who had nostalgia for the old games and general story while also keeping the new fans sorta bedazzled and wanting to know more about Spider-Man's world.

Edited by Asmund89
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Asmund89 said:

Now imagine that you've got a 100% trophy profile and that every time someone releases a dlc or update including trophies, they are already guaranteed your business by obsessive compulsion regardless if you like the game or not lol (Screw you CoD WW2 you almost butchered my profile). This game was good and yet not too challenging albeit long winded, so of course the completion is high. But, when I look at something like Bloodbourn where you also have a great game yet it is indeed a hard and very challenging learning curve, but you see a slightly elevated completion rate on such a trying game it just goes to show that people will stick it out if it's truly a rewarding experience. This game I think did that for a lot of people who had nostalgia for the old games and general story while also keeping the new fans sorta bedazzled and wanting to know more about Spider-Man's world.

Yeah, I'm sure that's why the completion percentage is so high.  Though I personally thought the game was ok.  Not great, not bad, but it wasn't the masterpiece so many have said it was.  If you're going for Plat you might get distracted by all the side quests, but I realized just how short the game is, and how much non-spidey fluff there is in the main game when I did the NG+ Ultimate difficulty playthrough.  At least 1/3 of the game is MJ/Miles Walking Simulator 2018, and I think this gets overlooked cause there's so much other stuff to do (like most open world/sandbox games these days).  If I wanted to play a stealth game with no spidey powers there's plenty of options.  Even in my first playthrough this aspect of the game got boring and ripped me out of the world, it was that much worse in NG+.  The spidey parts though were awesome.

On another, semi-related note, I just got Plat in Shadow of the Tomb Raider and that too is  B rating, lol.  This is a little troubling as I feel these games have been planning DLC since before the base game releases for a while, but it's always been short little stories or bonus missions, nothing too big.  Now it feels like most of the pre-planned game is in the DLC, and the base game is nothing more than a tutorial for what else you can buy.  I mean both Spidey and Tomb Raider's base games could be completed in 4-5 hours on the hardest difficulty setting.  Meanwhile, the DLCs for each add just as much if not more content than that for a big pricetag and add in twice as many new trophies.  To me, that's troubling.  I'm still good with just getting Plat and moving on, but I'm going to have to be much more selective of newer games.  I won't be rewarding devs for giving us the equivalent of a $60 demo for the game followed by $40-50 worth of DLC where you can find everything that's missing, which is where we seem to be headed.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
15 minutes ago, DemonicDraco said:

Its a really easy game that was also a great game, who cares if the plat is common? 

This^

I couldn't care less about the rarity of any give trophy or Platinum and it boggles my mind when I see people losing their shit over something so trivial. Spider-Man is a decent game with a reasonable difficulty curve so naturally the Platinum rarity is going to be on the common end of the spectrum.