PS4 Overtakes PS1 As Second Best Selling Home Console Of All Time

Parker

On 10/31/2019 at 4:06 AM, zero7uk_ said:

Good for Sony, but I hope they don't get too complacent with the PS5 , like they did with the PS3 launch

How were they complacent? 
IBM and Sony tried pretty hard to make a new processor and get that on the market. 

They even packed in all the bells&whistles gamers claimed to have wanted.

The only sticking point was the price. They severely underestimated the frugality of gamers and overestimated the amount of demand their brand name had.

It didn't last long though. and they dropped the price pretty damn quick.

There were mistakes made but I don't see complacency as one of them. Of course this is coming from someone that didn't buy a PS3 until 2012.  

• Like 2

On 31/10/2019 at 6:46 AM, Leenewbe said:

its also the fastest console to hit 100M sales beating all previous consoles, with a few more years of sales its going to be up there in total units sold.

If the PS5 does indeed have backwards compatibility with the PS4, like every rumor says it will, or even better, with every single one of its successors (though this might be harder to achieve), the PS4's momentum might come to a grinding halt, though. If that does happen, however, the PS5 might not only surpass the PS2, it will do it extremely fast. Sony has severely underestimated how long and how bad fans have wanted full (physical) backwards compatibility until now.

@Zenpai Maybe. Depending on whether Sony price drops the PS4 at PS5 launch, there are always people looking to get in at the cheapest price point. They will continue to purchase PS4s for years from now.

While I think there are *some* fans that want full backward compatibility, I don’t think that’s the majority of potential purchasers. Statistics can be viewed from all different angles. Some may justify the PS4s record sales as evidence that not many people care about the backward compatibility, since PS4 clearly lacked it. 

On 2019-10-31 at 7:22 AM, Conker said:

I wonder even if PS4 doesn’t, maybe PS5 will outsell the PS2, but this indeed is a good look for Sony 1f601.png

I doubt that. Or that any console will. Ps2 had too much market. Had barely any competition. Every 3rd party developer was behind it. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vergil said:

I doubt that. Or that any console will. Ps2 had too much market. Had barely any competition. Every 3rd party developer was behind it. 

The PS2 had plenty of competition really but their competition had barely anything to bring to the table and the PS2 had the added benefit of being the cheapest DVD player on the market when DVD was just starting to take over from VHS as the dominant home media format. A perfect storm

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaivRules said:

@Zenpai Maybe. Depending on whether Sony price drops the PS4 at PS5 launch, there are always people looking to get in at the cheapest price point. They will continue to purchase PS4s for years from now.

While I think there are *some* fans that want full backward compatibility, I don’t think that’s the majority of potential purchasers. Statistics can be viewed from all different angles. Some may justify the PS4s record sales as evidence that not many people care about the backward compatibility, since PS4 clearly lacked it. 

I'd actually rather think about it from another viewpoint: if the PS4 did indeed have backwards compatibility, it would have sold even better. Heck, it would have already outsold the PS2 by this point.

And as you said, there are always people looking to get in at the cheapest price point. If you could get two (or even five) consoles for the price of one, the cheaper gamers would lap it all up, since that would mean they'd have a machine to play a shit ton of cheap used games plus all of the new ones that they just can't wait for.

6 hours ago, TJ_Solo said:

How were they complacent? 
IBM and Sony tried pretty hard to make a new processor and get that on the market. 

They even packed in all the bells&whistles gamers claimed to have wanted.

The only sticking point was the price. They severely underestimated the frugality of gamers and overestimated the amount of demand their brand name had.

It didn't last long though. and they dropped the price pretty damn quick.

There were mistakes made but I don't see complacency as one of them. Of course this is coming from someone that didn't buy a PS3 until 2012.  

After the success of the PS2, Sony thought they'd have it easy and charging $599 teling people to just put up and shut up about the price saying shit like PS3 is too cheap, get a second job etc. If that ain't complacency i dunno what is. 

I don't want a repeat of any of that with thr PS5

Edited by zero7uk_

4 hours ago, Zenpai said:

I'd actually rather think about it from another viewpoint: if the PS4 did indeed have backwards compatibility, it would have sold even better. Heck, it would have already outsold the PS2 by this point.

And as you said, there are always people looking to get in at the cheapest price point. If you could get two (or even five) consoles for the price of one, the cheaper gamers would lap it all up, since that would mean they'd have a machine to play a shit ton of cheap used games plus all of the new ones that they just can't wait for.

Highly doubt it, maybe another 10 million more, but not another 50+ million more for as something minor as backwards compatibility

27 minutes ago, zero7uk_ said:

After the success of the PS2, Sony thought they'd have it easy and charging $599 teling people to just put up and shut up about the price saying shit like PS3 is too cheap, get a second job etc. If that ain't complacency i dunno what is. 

They were being realistic with their price versus what it cost to manufacture the system. They could have dropped the physical ps2 backwards compatibility and it would have saved them around 100 dollars on the price

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Highly doubt it, maybe another 10 million more, but not another 50+ million more for as something minor as backwards compatibility

I highly disagree that backwards compatibility is something minor, but we'll see once we know what features the console has and it actually hits shelves.

34 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

They were being realistic with their price versus what it cost to manufacture the system. They could have dropped the physical ps2 backwards compatibility and it would have saved them around 100 dollars on the price

They were actually losing money on every PS3 sold for quite some time!

1 hour ago, zero7uk_ said:

Read what I said. Sony didn't just charge 599 for the console. They included enough tech to more than justify the price tag. The original MSRP for the fat PS3 was too cheap. Sony as selling them at a loss. If they wanted to break even they would have charged more. 

However, regardless of the tech. The price was too much for the consumer at that time.

You're an entire generation into the results of the PS3 launch. Not sure why you decide now is a good time to act sensitive about what happened 15 years ago with the PS5 looming. Cerny and crew have already commented on wanting to make sure it was "affordable". 

The PS4 was Sony creating a console within the acceptable price range of consumers at 499. Less tech. Less innovation. More standardized older parts.

The PS3 seems to have given you PTSD or something

Edited by TJ_Solo

51 minutes ago, Zenpai said:

I highly disagree that backwards compatibility is something minor, but we'll see once we know what features the console has and it actually hits shelves.

They were actually losing money on every PS3 sold for quite some time!

There's usually 4 groups of people. 

1. They sell everything when buying into the next gen, not caring about older games

2. They keep their older consoles and still play on them.

3. They keep all of their older stuff, but never play it and it usually goes in their attic or garage.

4. Then there's the people that use backwards compatibility.

Number 1 is the most common trend from experience at used game stores

25 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

1. They sell everything when buying into the next gen, not caring about older games

3. They keep all of their older stuff, but never play it and it usually goes in their attic or garage.

Yes, I'd assume you wouldn't see many of the other groups working at a used games store...

Edited by Zenpai
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

Im #3

used to be #2

6 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

I was 1, having given away my PSOne when I moved up to PS2, and given away my PS2 when I moved up to PS3. I'm a 2/3 now. I still have my PS3, but would likely never play it, if PS4 was backwards compatible. Now, if PS3's xmb was similar to PS4, or offered rest mode, I'd play it more. 

12 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

2 & 4 myself, Gamecube, PS2, PS3 all still hooked up to my TV as we speak. Played Gamecube not even a week ago, Eternal Darkness and Twilight Princess. PS1, N64, NES, SNES, Atari 2600 all died on me still have my PS1 games but i think my PS2 is dying.