PS4 Overtakes PS1 As Second Best Selling Home Console Of All Time

Parker

14 hours ago, Zenpai said:

Yes, I'd assume you wouldn't see many of the other groups working at a used games store...

Think that would be pretty obvious ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 hours ago, Void said:

2 & 4 myself, Gamecube, PS2, PS3 all still hooked up to my TV as we speak. Played Gamecube not even a week ago, Eternal Darkness and Twilight Princess. PS1, N64, NES, SNES, Atari 2600 all died on me still have my PS1 games but i think my PS2 is dying.

If it's the laser, you can buy a replacement one online for pretty cheap

57 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

There are vegetarians and non-vegetarians. But the vast majority of people are vegetarians, given my experience at my family's vegetarian restaurant.

SS's bad analogy aside, most casual gamers do simply just sell everything once they're done with it. The used game market generates millions annually after all and wouldn't exist if not for casual gamers turning everything they own for a fraction of its worth in store credit to get the newest consoles and games

2 minutes ago, majob said:

SS's bad analogy aside, most casual gamers do simply just sell everything once they're done with it. The used game market generates millions annually after all and wouldn't exist if not for casual gamers turning everything they own for a fraction of its worth in store credit to get the newest consoles and games

I agree with that, but that's not enough reason to remove BC for me. After all, the vast majority of Western gamers don't play, e.g., the JRPG. I would be very sad if Sony said that no JRPGs should be released to the West because of this.

I don't know why Sony doesn't make BC a premium feature. Add $100 for BC for PS3 and PS4, on a minority of models. I think they would sell.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

I agree with that, but that's not enough reason to remove BC for me. After all, the vast majority of Western gamers don't play, e.g., the JRPG. I would be very sad if Sony said that no JRPGs should be released to the West because of this.

I don't know why Sony doesn't make BC a premium feature. Add $100 for BC for PS3 and PS4, on a minority of models. I think they would sell.

I agree for sure. With how easy software emulation is for the PS1 and PS2 I really feel there's no excuse to not at least include it with their consoles. Which says nothing about the money they could easy selling digital versions of those games as well like they did for the PS3. I think the former president is to blame 

When I had backward capability at launch with PS3, I never used it.  I still have my PS3 hooked up but seldomly use it.  Not sure what I will do with it once I get a ps5 (probably not at launch).  I am too lazy to find a buyer willing to offer a decent price and to properly wipe it so there are no traces of my account info anywhere on it.

PS2 was partly so popular as others mentioned because it was a cheap DVD player at the time.  I know quite a few who got it for that who rarely game.

19 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

There's usually 4 groups of people. 

1. They sell everything when buying into the next gen, not caring about older games

2. They keep their older consoles and still play on them.

3. They keep all of their older stuff, but never play it and it usually goes in their attic or garage.

4. Then there's the people that use backwards compatibility.

Number 1 is the most common trend from experience at used game stores

I think that that raise in ps now subscriptions could be potentially a problem for full backwards compatibility. But I still hope Sony put some emulators on ps5, especially for ps3.

About your list, there's something different for people moving to other console nowadays.

Digital goodies, you cannot sell them.

And in the last year the amount of digital only game has increased.

In my case even having the possibility to use a ds 4 controller (not fully compatible) on ps3 I still hope to play all my psn collection on the upcoming ps5.

4 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

Think that would be pretty obvious ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If it's the laser, you can buy a replacement one online for pretty cheap

i do not think it is the laser, I have a friend that does repairs so when I have some free time I plan to drop it his way so he can look. If the PS5 does end up fully and physically backwards compatible I would probably buy 1 sooner over later.

1 hour ago, majob said:

Yes... meaning therefore that there is a sizeable market for older games and consoles.

Hence why used game stores still carry games from at least the previous generation.

1 hour ago, Zenpai said:

Yes... meaning therefore that there is a sizeable market for older games and consoles.

Hence why used game stores still carry games from at least the previous generation.

That's largely from people buying the latest game used to save a few dollars from having to buy it new. Keep in mind that used sales are pure profit which is why the returns are so high. This is improved on by the fact that most places you turn games in to only give store credit and not actual cash.

1 minute ago, majob said:

That's largely from people buying the latest game used to save a few dollars from having to buy it new. Keep in mind that used sales are pure profit which is why the returns are so high. This is improved on by the fact that most places you turn games in to only give store credit and not actual cash.

There is still a sizeable section for consoles from at least the previous generation, meaning there is still a market for it, so the sentence in bold isn't representative of all customers.

• Like 1