For someone that loves Mass Effect but hates Fallout, how is this game?

Montyzu

I love the Mass Effect series, the NPC interactions, the space exploration, knowking the galaxy the characters, the story and pretty much everything else.

In the other hand I hate Fallout, I have played F3, New Vegas and F4 and with all of them I couldnt take more than 10 hours of gameplay, the world was so "generic", the menus were a pain to navigate, there was nothing interesting in character development (skills, mechanics) and the ability to loot literally everything was a pain, I ended up picking things I didnt want to because I auto loot enemies or things were to close to each other.

I watch a couple hours of gameplay and this game looks to be the middle in between ME and Fallout, i dont want to watch more to not spoil myself if I eventually play it.

What you guys think of the game so far? I would very much appreciate any info or opinions you can give me.

Edited by Montyzu
  • Like 2

I think it's more Fallout than Mass Effect. I haven't played it, mind you, but the combat looked like it had that VATS stuff from Fallout (which I did not like, BTW). On the plus side, I think that your decisions and spoken words have MUCH more impact here than in Mass Effect. It might not be as severe as New Vegas (where you could literally talk your way out of the final boss battles), but it looks like you can avoid combat with your words, which is awesome.

• Like 2

It's pretty much Fallout New Vegas with some Mass Effect styles. The story, worlds, loot and enemies are Fallout. Having a ship, choosing who to take with you on missions, flying/space itself and ADA (ship AI) is all Mass Effect's influence. Companions are kinda in between the two.

So if you hate Fallout there's a good chance you won't like this.

• Like 4

If you don't like Fallout I can't really reccomend this game because it essentially is New Vegas in space with some of the more traditional elements of the first two Fallout games. I'd say give it a chance though because its a great game on its own merits 

• Like 4

*cough*Kotor*cough*

The game isn't much like Mass Effect other than the companion powers. It is more like the direction Obsidian took from Kotor.

Sure, ME's origin is from Kotor too but they tried to expand and grow the scope of their game as opposed to Obsidian's reduction/refinement.  

From everyone comments, I'm starting to get interested in this (quite liked Fallout New Vegas), but due to my problems with first person gaming, I have a question. 

Does the tactical thing (not sure the name), that is similar to VATS in Fallout, completely stop action, and allows you to play the game at a slower pace (as in turn any shooting sequence into a turn base of some kind, like VATS). 

As, I said, I like Fallout New Vegas, but was only able to play it because I didn't really had to deal with any actual shooting, thanks to VATS... 

1 hour ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

From everyone comments, I'm starting to get interested in this (quite liked Fallout New Vegas), but due to my problems with first person gaming, I have a question. 

Does the tactical thing (not sure the name), that is similar to VATS in Fallout, completely stop action, and allows you to play the game at a slower pace (as in turn any shooting sequence into a turn base of some kind, like VATS). 

As, I said, I like Fallout New Vegas, but was only able to play it because I didn't really had to deal with any actual shooting, thanks to VATS... 

You will have to do a lot of shooting because the meter in this is quite low so you won’t constantly be using it. It also isn’t exactly like vats where you completely stop the game to target body parts, this one is more of just a short slow down to let you blind, cripple, knock down or do whatever other status effect is available depending on the body part you decide to shoot. 

2 hours ago, NaseemJohn said:

You will have to do a lot of shooting because the meter in this is quite low so you won’t constantly be using it. It also isn’t exactly like vats where you completely stop the game to target body parts, this one is more of just a short slow down to let you blind, cripple, knock down or do whatever other status effect is available depending on the body part you decide to shoot. 

Thanks. Ok, I guess that this game isn't for me then.. 

I really have several issues with first person games, to the point that I somewhat struggle to play even slow paces (stealth) ones.. 

I like Fallout and Deus Ex, but I get dizzy so fast, that it's a struggle for me to play them. Anything more action oriented is simply impossible for me. 

Its not Fallout (besides dialogue) and its not Mass Effect.

Both games surpass OW by far, and I’m really sad to say this, but the combat is really bad, it honestly doesn’t make any difference what skills you choose in the end, enemies plain die by just using any weapon you like. In the end it fails to bring together most of his elements, so its nothing alike any of those games mentioned, imho.

There is no VATS, its only a small ability that triggers slow motion for  a few seconds.

• Like 1

Well since you absolutely hate fallout but still played F3, FNV... and F4, it would seem that it doesn't really matter if you like it or not, you'll probably play it anyway in the end, so just go in knowing that you'll get much of the same atmosphere/mechanics and try to enjoy the parts you like (space setting i would think).

Luckily for you it should take a lot less time to plat.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2019 at 10:55 PM, Han_the_Dragon said:

VATs doesn't stop the action. It just makes everything really, really slow for the duration of the skill.

The tactical pause in Dragon Age games stops time and all actions giving the player time to decide what to do.

The time effect in the Outer Worlds is just a bullet time effect that can be used to pick off enemies and/or cripple them. 

I don't get the shade people like you have with these optional mechanics. They are there and you never have to use them outside of maybe the tutorial of how to use them.

2 hours ago, TJ_Solo said:

VATs doesn't stop the action. It just makes everything really, really slow for the duration of the skill.

The tactical pause in Dragon Age games stops time and all actions giving the player time to decide what to do.

The time effect in the Outer Worlds is just a bullet time effect that can be used to pick off enemies and/or cripple them. 

I don't get the shade people like you have with these optional mechanics. They are there and you never have to use them outside of maybe the tutorial of how to use them.

What are you talking about? 

When I played Fallout 3 and NV VATs did stop or nearly stop everything (it's been ages since I played them), and because of my problem of getting motion sickness when playing first person games, I NEED some kind of mechanic like this to make it possible for me to play the game. 

That's why I stay away from FPS. And if The Outer Worlds doesn't allow me to slowdown/stop time to the same extent as Fallout VATs allows, it will simply be impossible for me to play, so, I will simply stay away from the game. 

I'm not sure what that Dragon Age thing, is it the wheel that we use to select skills? (again, it's been ages since I played it too). 

53 minutes ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

What are you talking about? 

When I played Fallout 3 and NV VATs did stop or nearly stop everything (it's been ages since I played them), and because of my problem of getting motion sickness when playing first person games, I NEED some kind of mechanic like this to make it possible for me to play the game. 

That's why I stay away from FPS. And if The Outer Worlds doesn't allow me to slowdown/stop time to the same extent as Fallout VATs allows, it will simply be impossible for me to play, so, I will simply stay away from the game. 

I'm not sure what that Dragon Age thing, is it the wheel that we use to select skills? (again, it's been ages since I played it too). 

Oh you're the other side of it all. You want time to stop. 
Yeah, the time thing in OW isn't a time stop.

It is just bullet time with status effects.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TJ_Solo said:

Oh you're the other side of it all. You want time to stop. 
Yeah, the time thing in OW isn't a time stop.

It is just bullet time with status effects.

Yes, that was my point from the start, but I didn't knew Fallout 4 also didn't had the time stop effect on VATs, so, that extra info is also good for me, because now I know that is unlikely that I will be able to play Fallout 4 without major headaches too.. 

There are a few series like that for me, I would like to try them, but the stress on my eyes/head is so big, that it's just not worth it. 

On ‎31‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 2:10 PM, Montyzu said:

I love the Mass Effect series, the NPC interactions, the space exploration, knowking the galaxy the characters, the story and pretty much everything else.

In the other hand I hate Fallout, I have played F3, New Vegas and F4 and with all of them I couldnt take more than 10 hours of gameplay, the world was so "generic", the menus were a pain to navigate, there was nothing interesting in character development (skills, mechanics) and the ability to loot literally everything was a pain, I ended up picking things I didnt want to because I auto loot enemies or things were to close to each other.

I watch a couple hours of gameplay and this game looks to be the middle in between ME and Fallout, i dont want to watch more to not spoil myself if I eventually play it.

What you guys think of the game so far? I would very much appreciate any info or opinions you can give me.

Outer worlds won't be your kind of game, as you if you dislike fallout's skills, choices and character rep then this is a no go. only thing from mass effect it has is the companions menu to pick them and the powers they can do on the fly in combat and the feel of a crew on the ship and the way ME1's weapons were, where most are basically the same thing but with better dmg and clips and so on but has ammo to it then an overheat kind of system. That is pretty much it. I love outer worlds as I love the choices you can do and the feeling of being what I want to be than a random guy who must go and do this and do that because some dev thought it would be good to make it where I have a backstory then my own made up one. and I will go off topic here and talk about why I highlighted your comment.

Am sorry if am going off topic but. I have to ask were you playing a different kind of game then me as last time I checked fallout nv and 3 in very poor ways, did have interesting character development, nv on this front had skills that gave buffs and debuffs if you picked them from the start and character rep.

Like for example if you picked the skill to be fast at shooting at the start, you fire guns faster but your less likely at hitting your mark or the skill that gives you plus 4 to Int if you wear glasses but if you don't you have a debuff of -4 to it.  As for picking up things. No one is putting a gun to your head to make you pick up everything. and if you did pick up everything it could be useful as there is a fun that shoots junk and random crap you pick up as ammo if you find it or you could sell it for money and so on. The world itself maybe a random wasteland on first viewing of clips and screen shots but saying it is Generic is just plan wrong. it has history behind it.

The game in the intros, aside from 3 and 4. told you what happen before to lead up to this point and what are the main players at hand much like mass effect did with the reapers and so on. Am not fanboying or anything I just want to point out your wrong in thinking that the world is generic, or the character development is not interesting or that looting in a rpg is a pain. It is a rpg, they all have their own spin on things if the marks they try to do fail such as say fallout 4 with trying to make you care for someone when you barely know them. Or say ME Andromeda where the bad guy is a random alien guy that is barely on screen much unless he looks coldly at the screen and walks away. And that many of the characters in that game are just not as interesting as say Mordin or Garrus from the past games. Anyways I think I made my point and if I keep going I will be here all day so let's put a pin on it here.