Total game owners question

More of a question than an issue - but can anyone say how the total game owners calculates?  Has this changed in recent years?  Total game owners for games seems very low so I'm not sure what the trigger is to add as a game owner.  Noticed for a while, but really odd to see the new Modern Warfare with "only" ~8900 game owners.  BL3 was oddly low too.  Only using them as a reference point since there are obviously millions of players.

Thanks for any info and sorry if this has been asked!

11 minutes ago, TemplePilot said:

Noticed for a while, but really odd to see the new Modern Warfare with "only" ~8900 game owners.  BL3 was oddly low too.

Most profiles on this site haven't been updated in years. That's why most data are incorrect.

unbenannt41kps.png

Edited by El Duderino
  • Like 3

I’m assuming because:

1. This site doesn’t update games that have been played but no trophy has been popped?

2. PSNP only tracks profiles that are signed up here, it’s not tracking millions of other players so we will never get the real picture?

3. There’s a cap for how many players it shows at once for a single game?

Just speculating is all...

4 minutes ago, Emina said:

I’m assuming because:

1. This site doesn’t update games that have been played but no trophy has been popped?

2. PSNP only tracks profiles that are signed up here, it’s not tracking millions of other players so we will never get the real picture?

3. There’s a cap for how many players it shows at once for a single game?

Just speculating is all...

Nope. I already answered the question. 

I still don’t understand what the deal is with PSNP and how it’s collecting trophy/profile data from Sony’s servers. This has been an issue since the beta for the PSN name change was introduced. Months after auto-updating for profiles was fixed for (almost) all players but then weeks later the feature was made public, which reinforced this to happen again.

Unless he’s said he couldn’t do anything about the situation and I’ve miss it, the only action I’m aware Sly has taken was to fix this for premium members. Everyone else has to update their profiles to get it working again and that’s not going to happen considering there’s only 297,000+ accounts registered with a forum profile (most inactive since 2014-2016) out of over 4.1 million tracked players (a lot of profiles haven’t earned trophies in years anyway).

This isn’t about the auto-updating issue but I really can’t understand why some unfortunate souls haven’t got that the site is mostly made up of trophy hunters (casual or serious). You’re sure going to expect player numbers to be far from the number of people who’ve played the game altogether. For example, the PS3 release of GTA V is second on the most game owners list at 1,120,000+ players which means that 1 out of 4 tracked players on the site have this game on their profile. However this is the best selling game for the PS3 (funny for a game released 2 months Sony released the PS4) so it’s sold way more than what this site says and this is because of what I’ve said at the beginning of this paragraph.

What I find funny is that games like Black Ops 2, Uncharted 3 and LittleBigPlanet that are on in the Top 10 of the game owners list are gaining player numbers at an equal rate to games released half a year ago. Tom Clancy’s The Division 2 has many more recent players than the 3 games I’ve previously mentioned, but I’m willing to believe they are all increasing player counts at the same number because most users who are added to the site daily will own either one of, 2 or all 3 games (even if they haven’t played them in years) and those who are playing The Division 2 are updating their profile with the game new to their collection.

TL;DR - PSNP game stats are (mostly) in favour of games released over half a decade ago.

Edited by PepsiMaxVanilla

3 hours ago, PepsiMaxVanilla said:

PSNP game stats are (mostly) in favour of games released over half a decade ago.

Automatic updates for unregistered profiles stopped years before the name changing option was even announced by Sony. Frequently updating millions of profiles is expensive because it generates a tremendous amount of traffic. I'd like to remind you that in the early days of this site, tons of accounts were automatically added when linking your PSN account to PSNP, because the site would also fetch all available trophy data from your PSN friends. This was removed at least five years ago and looked like this.

Only @Sly Ripper really knows what goes on in the background, about the plans and other stuff. But since he's not exactly known for being overly talkative, don't expect to get first hand information.

There's also the recurring rumour about Sony blocking access to their database if a site like PSNP causes too much attention on their side. Lots of different trophy sites claimed this over the years.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, patrickogorman19 said:

This site is mainly used by trophy hunters that's why. Red dead redemption 2 sold at least 13 million copies on PS4 it this shows around 200,000. Most playstation owners have never heard about this site.

That's true, but there are games that show over a million game owners too.  Maybe there just aren't as many ACTIVE users on the site anymore as someone pointed out.  But damn that's a HUGE drop off if that's the case.

7 hours ago, TemplePilot said:

Maybe there just aren't as many ACTIVE users on the site anymore as someone pointed out.

Dude, I already answered your question. Automatic updates have been DISABLED for unregistered users several years ago. Ok? This has nothing to do with users being active or not. It was deliberately disabled by the administrator to reduce traffic. Traffic costs money. Servers cost money. Maintenance costs money. 

17 hours ago, TemplePilot said:

More of a question than an issue - but can anyone say how the total game owners calculates?  Has this changed in recent years?

Total game owners is calculated by being tracked on this site and having earned at least one trophy in any given game (thinking about it you probably just need the game on your profile even without a trophy though I can’t say for sure which one it is). If one or both of those conditions are not meet then a person will not be registered as a game owner on PSNP.

Edited by FilmFanatic