Death Stranding Reviews

Ghost

Will you be picking up Death Stranding on release?  

600 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be picking up Death Stranding on release?

• Yes
    • No
    • Later on
    • Will get it on PC

I'm glad there seems to be mixed reviews.  If they were all positive it might be difficult to stop the hype train that inevitably leaves people disappointed, if they were all negative then the game may just objectively be bad.  A polarizing game is good... hopefully it encourages people to go in with as open of a mind as possible since there isn't one universal thought to hold onto for dear life.

Though it speaks to the difficulty even reviewers have of putting their biases aside since a lot of the mixed scores seems to hinge on just how much respect (or lack thereof) the reviewers have for Kojima.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

People are reacting like this is launch-state NMS. It couldn't be more different.

Firstly, the scores aren't everything (although the general critical reception is still pretty excellent, people are seeming to ignore this). I actually think it's a good thing that reviewers are scrambling around not knowing what to do; some are giving 10's, some 6's. The commentary is what matters, and to me, it seems to tell a good story in a unique way with quirky themes and brilliant acting. That ticks my boxes, as I prefer the narrative experience of gaming to the gameplay aspects or structure of missions. Its divisive reception also means a game is actually creating conversation and putting forward new ideas that some people entirely get others just don't. I may end up being disappointed, but unlike other recent disappointments, I can recognize that its more likely to be because the game isn't for me and tried to push the boat in ways I didn't appreciate, rather than being a mechanically poor game, or an uninspired cookie-cutter.

Secondly, 85/100 is a really good rating anyway. Most developers would relish at the thought of an 85/100 average. Games around this range are usually considered extremely good (ignoring personal tastes and such of course - you can personally dislike highly rated games). Aside from God of War (which was a critical darling and generational game), my personal GOTYs from 2014 - 2017 were Wolfenstein: TNO, Fallout 4, DOOM, and Resident Evil 7. I believe all are all superb games and have identical or very close MC scores (79 - 86%). Getting the mid 80 range is not, and should never be a disappointment. That doesn't change because of a solid marketing campaign and Kojima's pedigree in an entirely different franchise, or were expecting a GOAT; that means people were reading too much into hype. If that's you, thats a you problem.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, STARLOVE said:

People in this topic: Reviews mean nothing
Also people in this topic: IgN GaVe iT a 6.8 oMg REEeeeE

I can dig the sort of artsy, story driven games. I'll end up buying it at some stage. Just the amount of cringe Kojima fanboys is so annoying. I'll be the first to say I absolutely loved the Metal Gear Solid franchise, but people acting like Kojima was the only one to make that game happen. This game is more Kojima than MGS and it's ranked lower. Now people say it's because it isn't for everyone. Every game isn't for everyone. You can make a game with a good story and good gameplay and it will be universally loved with this exceptions here and there. But I personally feel like a lot of reviews are favoritism for Kojima himself, rather than the opposite. 

I agree. I'm surprised this game isn't getting near-universal praise across the board considering it's Kojima's "comeback" and a wildly anticipated PS4 exclusive - perhaps the most anticipated game in the entire generation. It takes some courage to come out and say what you really think of a product everyone expects to be absolutely groundbreaking and revolutionary.

Though I will agree that you shouldn't base your entire opinion off reviews, I have no doubt some people will use the "reviews are nothing" argument because they'd rather question the credibility of whoever gives the game a less-than-perfect score instead of considering the idea that Kojima is (gasp) an imperfect human being who makes mistakes every now and then. That's ok. It doesn't make him any less of a legend nor does it take away his merit.

• Like 1

That last review gives me pause. Kojima has been more "self-indulgent" (a much kinder term than I would use) over the years, and I mentioned in a much earlier thread that Kojima unchained was worrisome. As far back as MGS on the PS1, the game had its head up its ass (one great thing back then was that if you skipped the excruciating cut scenes, you really lost none of the gameplay or experience).

I'm sure it will be cheap in the far future, so we'll give it a whirl then. Maybe. There are plenty of people who would buy it day 1, even if the reviews were all uniformly terrible, so it won't hurt the bottom line or anything.

Edited by starcrunch061

1 hour ago, DaivRules said:

It’s annoying to me when a review can’t separate the creator from the thing and just review the thing. 

When review scores are so diverse, it does make me more interested in checking it out, but it’ll be some years before I get around to it. 

I agree with this as well, but it's hard with a character like Kojima, who insists on attaching so much of himself to his creations. If it's not an "inside joke" from MGS, it's his character added as part of the team in Peace Walker, or having his credits plastered on the screen after every completed mission in MGS5, or claiming credit for the Irish tune at the at end of MGS.

It makes it much tougher not to consider creator with creation.

• Like 3

With all due respect to OP, and i do mean that, I'm not gonna let anyone else's subjective view of a game tell me what I'LL like. I'll play it and form my own opinion. Then, the argument becomes "well, how will you know if you even want to play it? Or If it's even worth playing?" I have a shocker of an idea, whether i buy it or rent it, I'll play the Damned thing, and form my own opinion. Rule of thumb for me at least, is, if a games brand new, RENT IT FIRST. Passive-aggressive rants aside, the moral of the rant is simple: form your own opinion, don't be a drooling sheep and eat the sloppy sludge "video game reviewers" pile on your plate. Regardless of "how much a likeable person" so and so is, Ted Bundy was likeable.

• Like 2