Death Stranding Reviews

Ghost

Will you be picking up Death Stranding on release?  

600 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be picking up Death Stranding on release?

• Yes
    • No
    • Later on
    • Will get it on PC

54 minutes ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

How ironic that some people think you can't judge if you'll dislike a game and at the same time ready the whips on reviewers - people who actually have played the game.

Most of us have years, if not decades of playing video games under our belt, one would think we all have the ability to filter out of reviews what we need to know if something is interesting enough to give it a go - or not.

Have to agree with this, and well-put. I have zero respect for the vast majority of video game journalists, but it's funny how ratings are fine when people agree with them. As soon as they don't however, they've obviously been paid to praise/trash the game. If anything I'd be more suspicious about the reviews that say the game is a bit boring at times and then ends up giving it a 10/10.

The last part of your post reminded me of that Anthem thread that happened months ago. It's like we have to buy a game to have a legitimate opinion. Doing research, watching gameplay, walkthroughs, looking at the history of the creator/developer - it doesn't cut it anymore. Doubt they would accept trying out the demo either as a way to form an opinion. They seem to assume people judge games based on their title or something. Newsflash, there is something called Youtube. If I watched parts of a movie on youtube and figured it wasn't for me, do I have to pay for the DVD before I voice my opinions? Nope.

Anyways, I'm kinda done with this thread. ✌️

• Like 3

voted later on.

I'm really curious about this game but I can't be bothered anymore with day 1 buys unless I'm a crazy fan of the genre (like last of us/nostalgic games like crash bandicoot/spyro)

For now the game looks like an Amazon delivery game with the twisted Kojima mind mixed with it ?

13 hours ago, NoiizeR- said:

i can't see a single player game get 10/10

Then you’d be denying the times it has happened. Anyway I don’t give a shit about reviews, I’ve always said that. I’ll be getting it first day, cause its worth the price, actually more than full price technically.

Edited by DarkHpokinsn
  • Like 2

Without calling anyone out... no one is saying you can't have opinions on unreleased games, or games you haven't played.  It's when the negative opinion is derived less from the game itself and more from peoples enthusiasm that it starts turning into something more perverse IMO.

Edited by Dreakon13

On 11/1/2019 at 5:36 AM, fbdbh said:

I'm feeling quite the opposite. No matter the anticipation, the innovation, the praise... I know I'll be bored.

That's the power of the mind, isn't? 
When you decide on how you will feel and think about anything that is how you will feel regardless of being pro or anti something.

22 hours ago, SinisterPledge said:

Have to agree with this, and well-put. I have zero respect for the vast majority of video game journalists, but it's funny how ratings are fine when people agree with them. As soon as they don't however, they've obviously been paid to praise/trash the game. If anything I'd be more suspicious about the reviews that say the game is a bit boring at times and then ends up giving it a 10/10.

The last part of your post reminded me of that Anthem thread that happened months ago. It's like we have to buy a game to have a legitimate opinion. Doing research, watching gameplay, walkthroughs, looking at the history of the creator/developer - it doesn't cut it anymore. Doubt they would accept trying out the demo either as a way to form an opinion. They seem to assume people judge games based on their title or something. Newsflash, there is something called Youtube. If I watched parts of a movie on youtube and figured it wasn't for me, do I have to pay for the DVD before I voice my opinions? Nope.

Anyways, I'm kinda done with this thread. 270c.png

If I am reading/watching a review most of the time I don't even bother to get to the score at the end.
However, when I can spot inaccuracies in a review from journalists that had a game for weeks, if not months, longer than me then there is a problem. 

Another issue I take with some journos is when they review games of a genre they openly hate and make no attempt to put their prejudices at bay. One could say the same can be said about people that are fans of a genre BUT that would beg the question; Who is the target demographic for any given game, the fans or the disinterested? Before PS4 this mainly popped up for JRPG review. I'd never say Akiba's Strip,  Onechanbara, Tales of X, and Fairy Fencer are 10/10 games but I am not going to simply rip into the games because the themes don't align with my personal politics. I do like reviews to speak to me as a fan or at least address things that a fan would care about.

IGN is particularly bad at this. They will put the folks that like the game on LiveStream but are likely to have someone that hates the genre do the actual review. It feels like their new crew are just shite bloggers and the publication only cares about getting traffic over their reputation.

• Like 1

hmm. think about this for a moment.

although two different games the criticism and concept are basically the same in shadow of the collossus and death stranding no?

in sotc all you do is walk from boss to boss with nothing inbetween and thats pretty much the gameplay.

in death stranding you walk from person to person delivering packages with actual gameplay inbetween.

sotc universally scores 91 on metacritic but somehow the gameplay is seen as boring in death stranding?

both games were made with a certain vision and it wasnt compromised in any shape or form. why is death stranding so much different in terms of the overall package? 

the story, presentation, characters and world building is great according to the reviews but the gameplay is boring in death stranding.

in sotc, the story is cryptic and all you do is fight bosses. thats it. im having such a difficult time trying to understand why a game like sotc wasnt divided in terms of high reviews but somehow death stranding is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spaz said:

You said this same kind of response before in the past with other games.

Reviews are subjective. Always were and always will be. Are some reviews ass? Sure they are. Are some reviews worth reading? Most definitely.

I don't take IGN, Gamespot, Eurogamer and other giant gaming websites too seriously anymore because they are almost always paid the big bucks to either glorify a game or put it down the shit hole. I recall a few years back one person at IGN giving Valley, a rather obscure indie walking simulator with some platforming a 4 out of 10 in rating, because I guess she just didn't like the game that much personally. On the flip side I've seen games that have been panned by the gamers given rather high ratings.

These days I pay most attention to the smaller YouTubers and smaller websites who don't have quite such a big following, but are honest and serious about their work. I follow a guy named Cornshaq Gaming, he has done a lot of smaller indie games and some bigger AA - AAA budget games on his YouTube channel. I've even bought a few games that are completed on my profile because of his recommendations.

--

Konami had a huge part in Metal Gear Solid. Kojima was the brainchild, but he didn't get to where he was without help.

Spaz, can you please stop quoting me a couple of years after my initial post, especially when the content has literally nothing to do with what I say but some self indulgent semi rant of your own? I beg of you. 

5 hours ago, STARLOVE said:

Spaz, can you please stop quoting me a couple of years after my initial post, especially when the content has literally nothing to do with what I say but some self indulgent semi rant of your own? I beg of you. 

Where did I fucking do that dude? 

I’ve seen what you post and I mostly agree with you. 

Don’t take this the wrong way. 

Edited by Spaz

8 hours ago, UlvenFenrir said:

hmm. think about this for a moment.

although two different games the criticism and concept are basically the same in shadow of the collossus and death stranding no?

in sotc all you do is walk from boss to boss with nothing inbetween and thats pretty much the gameplay.

in death stranding you walk from person to person delivering packages with actual gameplay inbetween.

sotc universally scores 91 on metacritic but somehow the gameplay is seen as boring in death stranding?

both games were made with a certain vision and it wasnt compromised in any shape or form. why is death stranding so much different in terms of the overall package? 

the story, presentation, characters and world building is great according to the reviews but the gameplay is boring in death stranding.

in sotc, the story is cryptic and all you do is fight bosses. thats it. im having such a difficult time trying to understand why a game like sotc wasnt divided in terms of high reviews but somehow death stranding is.

Those were different times. Also, SotC wasn't developed by one of gaming's biggest names, it was done by a team that had one other obscure game under their belts that hardly anyone had played, so it was subject to far less scrutiny.

On 11/3/2019 at 8:38 AM, UlvenFenrir said:

In sotc all you do is walk from boss to boss with nothing inbetween and thats pretty much the gameplay.

Pretty misleading, unless you’re somehow suggesting that the boss fights in Death Stranding are of the sophistication of SotC. Yes, there was travel in between, and yes, I personally believe that this travel should have been subject to more criticism. But to say that this A-to-B travel between bosses is “pretty much the gameplay” is...a whopper of a lie.

On 11/3/2019 at 1:53 PM, TJ_Solo said:

That's the power of the mind, isn't? 
When you decide on how you will feel and think about anything that is how you will feel regardless of being pro or anti something.

That's absolutely not true, as the feeling that I have is not decided - it's assumed, so it can turn out wrong. In the majority of the cases, being an experienced gamer, I can predict with good accuracy if a game is for me or not, but most importantly, completely independent from its public reception.

Making an assumption of the game based on existing information doesn't affect my enjoyment of it eventually, it just affects how I spend my money. Death Stranding is not a day 1 buy for me, it's just that.

17 hours ago, Hakoom said:

i have put 200hours in to this game

Is this really true? 

Edited by fbdbh
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

Pretty misleading, unless you’re somehow suggesting that the boss fights in Death Stranding are of the sophistication of SotC. Yes, there was travel in between, and yes, I personally believe that this travel should have been subject to more criticism. But to say that this A-to-B travel between bosses is “pretty much the gameplay” is...a whopper of a lie.

but it is lol what else are you doing in sotc other than traveling from boss to boss? yes youre fighting them but outside of that nothing much else other than collecting fruits and lizards.

why is death stranding any different in terms of repetitive gameplay that alot of people seem to criticize the game for? because it works better in a game like sotc maybe? who knows.

• Like 2

On 11/4/2019 at 2:22 AM, Stan Lee said:

Those were different times. Also, SotC wasn't developed by one of gaming's biggest names, it was done by a team that had one other obscure game under their belts that hardly anyone had played, so it was subject to far less scrutiny.

i think the problem with all of this, is an over saturated market with copy and paste games. games that are too easy, games that doesnt really challenge you, stories that are automatically fed to you, entertainment within your comfort zone. 

once a game steps out of that safe bubble, its like people freak out. on the surface death stranding might come off as boring when looking purely at the gameplay but what if there is more to it than just a lame feeling of delivering packages. what if the journey you make between each delivery makes an impact on the player? there is a story to be told and a sense of atmosphere and a beautiful world to look at while traveling by the looks of it. what if all of that is part of the charm?

people are too quick to judge. the game couldve got a 5/10 on meta and i wouldnt have cared because what matters to me is that kojima made the game he wanted to make and you cant make everybody happy. you cant say the same for alot of other games. kojima had millions to make a new ip, he couldve made a “safe” game to please everyone but instead he took a risk. now that to me is inspiring and i respect that.

• Like 1