Death Stranding Reviews

Ghost

Will you be picking up Death Stranding on release?  

600 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be picking up Death Stranding on release?

• Yes
    • No
    • Later on
    • Will get it on PC

8 hours ago, fbdbh said:

That's absolutely not true, as the feeling that I have is not decided - it's assumed, so it can turn out wrong. In the majority of the cases, being an experienced gamer, I can predict with good accuracy if a game is for me or not, but most importantly, completely independent from its public reception.

Making an assumption of the game based on existing information doesn't affect my enjoyment of it eventually, it just affects how I spend my money. Death Stranding is not a day 1 buy for me, it's just that.

Is this really true? 

why not..

here is my game stats after getting the plat

4df17caa-5b46-4ff7-9f14-0947fdcbbe09.jpg

• Like 2

Well then it's settled, Death Stranding is a mammoth undertaking to platinum, not that I mind, I loved doing everything in phantom pain (which took me 160 hours if I remember?)

From Hakoom's stats he spent the most time traveled by truck, which I'm kind of surprised by, that driving would be that big of a deal. Everything I've seen has been all on foot.

The community needs to co-ordinate it's efforts to build a motorway asap lol

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bartholomuse said:

Well then it's settled, Death Stranding is a mammoth undertaking to platinum, not that I mind, I loved doing everything in phantom pain (which took me 160 hours if I remember?)

From Hakoom's stats he spent the most time traveled by truck, which I'm kind of surprised by, that driving would be that big of a deal. Everything I've seen has been all on foot.

The community needs to co-ordinate it's efforts to build a motorway asap lol

Yep it's so much like a mammoth that it even took Hakoom about 200 hours to plat :P

10 hours ago, fbdbh said:

That's absolutely not true, as the feeling that I have is not decided - it's assumed, so it can turn out wrong. In the majority of the cases, being an experienced gamer, I can predict with good accuracy if a game is for me or not, but most importantly, completely independent from its public reception.

Making an assumption of the game based on existing information doesn't affect my enjoyment of it eventually, it just affects how I spend my money. Death Stranding is not a day 1 buy for me, it's just that.

Convincing yourself to like or dislike something isn't true? I better go tell the professors that bias and prejudices aren't a thing in reality.

You said you'd know you will be bored regardless of anything the game does. 

Having a long history of liked/disliked genre one can make a safe guess on what kind a games are for them. That doesn't address whether or not the games you think will fit your tastes are well made and enjoyable in their own right. Also, if you never play a game you never truly know if that particlar game is enjoyable to you. You can make a guess and may be more right than wrong but you're never going to be 100% on either way...unless you're the sort that convinces themselves to like or dislike something without really experiencing it.

On 11/4/2019 at 1:32 PM, Hakoom said:

if people are wondering why ign gave it a 6.8 and few other sites with bad ratings its because of politics...

in the latest trailer there was a quote

Hide contents

" america is a lie"

in a BBC interview with kojima he said

"Trump builds a wall to prevent immigrants and on the other hand you have brexit to exit EU"

kojimas game fights those 2 things and his game wants to bring people together and connect them with each other opposite of what is happening in the world now..

the game story is bigger than what you think guys... i have put 200hours in to this game and i cant tell you its a masterpiece 

i really want the PSN ids of every reviewer who gave a bad review of this game and compare his trophies with his review release date to see if he really completed the game..
the IGN guys review didnt even look like he knows how to play the game and just showed bad clips of the game and not the good parts..

o well 85 at metacritic.. i trust meta over 1 site

here is my review if anyone is interested

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4Ubl9iHiEI/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vXOtcI93n8&t=

everyone has his opinion in the end but dont oppress the game you are reviewing 

Interesting discussion...I wonder about the difference in opinion from video game journalists and media sites to those who trophy hunt and are hard core gamers. In addition to the metacritic score there is a user score. Will be interesting to see the response from gamers once title is officially released.

• Like 1

I can tell you from my own personal experience, with 200 Hours @Hakoom was pretty slow getting the plat. It took me 110 Hours while searching for the collectibles for the guide added more hours to my time than I would like to admit.

Reading Hakooms' or Mr_Pound_Of_Life's story of playing 200 hours of even longer I have no idea what you were doing all the hours honestly. If I didn't spend any time on searching the collectibles on my own I would have probably been done in under 100 hours. Additionally you should know that except for the final hour of my plat, I've been playing offline the whole time so I couldn't even use all the stuff other players left for me to use. So everything that was build in my world, was only my own shit. When I went online for the first time to get my plat I laughed my ass off how much time I could have saved by playing online.

So once again, don't be scared by the 200 hour time of Hakoom, it can be done MUCH faster than this.

And before somebody makes assumptions: no I did not skip a single cutscene.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, MrTrofyHuntr said:

Interesting discussion...I wonder about the difference in opinion from video game journalists and media sites to those who trophy hunt and are hard core gamers. In addition to the metacritic score there is a user score. Will be interesting to see the response from gamers once title is officially released.

The thing about that though, is IGN is a very liberal site, most game journalists are to so they would probably agree with what Kojima said so they aren’t reviewing it negatively for those reasons.

On 11/4/2019 at 2:32 PM, Hakoom said:

if people are wondering why ign gave it a 6.8 and few other sites with bad ratings its because of politics...

Reveal hidden contents

" america is a lie"

"Trump builds a wall to prevent immigrants and on the other hand you have brexit to exit EU"

kojimas game fights those 2 things and his game wants to bring people together and connect them with each other opposite of what is happening in the world now..

the game story is bigger than what you think guys... i have put 200hours in to this game and i cant tell you its a masterpiece 

i really want the PSN ids of every reviewer who gave a bad review of this game and compare his trophies with his review release date to see if he really completed the game..
the IGN guys review didnt even look like he knows how to play the game and just showed bad clips of the game and not the good parts..

It’s definitely not because of politics, they would agree with that viewpoint expressed by Kojima cause they’re very liberal publications. Doubt that review is so low because of politics.

Edited by DarkHpokinsn

9 minutes ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

It’s definitely not because of politics, they’re would agree with that viewpoint expressed by Kojima cause they’re very liberal publications. Doubt that review is so low because of politics.

Agree with that and I agree with IGN score. And for everyone thinking politics are the reason for a bad review for this game I got only one thing to say.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SnowNinjaRaccoon said:

I can tell you from my own personal experience, with 200 Hours @Hakoom was pretty slow getting the plat. It took me 110 Hours while searching for the collectibles for the guide added more hours to my time than I would like to admit.

Reading Hakooms' or Mr_Pound_Of_Life's story of playing 200 hours of even longer I have no idea what you were doing all the hours honestly. If I didn't spend any time on searching the collectibles on my own I would have probably been done in under 100 hours. Additionally you should know that except for the final hour of my plat, I've been playing offline the whole time so I couldn't even use all the stuff other players left for me to use. So everything that was build in my world, was only my own shit. When I went online for the first time to get my plat I laughed my ass off how much time I could have saved by playing online.

So once again, don't be scared by the 200 hour time of Hakoom, it can be done MUCH faster than this.

And before somebody makes assumptions: no I did not skip a single cutscene.

What the hell do I need to do to be a lucky recipient of a review copy of a triple A game? Youtuber, a guide writer, well know content creator, a gaming influencer, be well connected, work in the industry, perform special favors? ? Like WTH?! 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MrTrofyHuntr said:

What the hell do I need to do to be a lucky recipient of a review copy of a triple A game? Youtuber, a guide writer, well know content creator, a gaming influencer, be well connected, work in the industry, perform special favors? 1f61c.png Like WTH?! 

Don't know. Personally I am a time traveler. Sometimes I simply know where a copy will fall down from a delivery truck, other time the blimp transporting the games crashes in my backyard.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SnowNinjaRaccoon said:

Agree with that and I agree with IGN score. And for everyone thinking politics are the reason for a bad review for this game I got only one thing to say.

It probably doesn’t deserve the low rating, still excited to play it, just stating something that I thought would be obvious when it comes to IGN’s politics.

Edited by DarkHpokinsn

On 11/4/2019 at 0:32 PM, Hakoom said:

Reveal hidden contents

" america is a lie"

While I have disagreed or tried to debate a number of your points in the past, for once this is something I agree completely with you with. 

I can’t trust these jackass reviewers anymore. Do they have any standard that says they have to play a certain amount and try to at least, beat the game before making a review?

Apparently not. 

I’ll likely pick up Death Stranding later on. Still got Detroit: Become Human and 80 other games to sift through. Will pick up Kojima’s game when I’m done with 20 - 30 games on my backlog.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

No. Looks too weird for my tastes.

The same can be said for half of Kojima’s games.

I appreciate he did, or at least tried to do something different. That is a LOT more than I can say for EA, Activision, Bethesda, Ubisoft and a few other big companies who just play it ‘safe’ and rarely take any risks. 

Right now I can’t afford to pay $60 for a new game. Once the trophy guides are out and months pass, I’ll likely pick this up early next year.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SKyZoX9 said:

Not paying for being a delevery man, thats a job i can get paid for. I dont know what the hell is happening with these games that focus on stories, just make movies. Games are games. Its in the titles and im sick of the walking simulators. Yes i know there is a combat system in it but it is pretty superficial compared to what kojima is capable of doing gameplay wise, so bummer, not buyin it, probably will be a ps plus game in a year or 2.

Not to mention these labels people are using to justify poor gaming designs, today with kojima and last year with Red dead 2, games are dinosaur gameplay wise but its okkkaaaaaaaay its an AUTHOR game, yea right. 

That is today’s AAA games and the upcoming PS5 generation of games. 

One reason why I play a lot of older games and some indie/niche titles. 

At least you can skip cutscenes. But if I truly wanted a story I would just watch Game of Thrones or the slew of one hour melodramas on Netflix and Amazon Prime. 

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Spaz said:

That is today’s AAA games and the upcoming PS5 generation of games. 

One reason why I play a lot of older games and some indie/niche titles. 

At least you can skip cutscenes. But if I truly wanted a story I would just watch Game of Thrones or the slew of one hour melodramas on Netflix and Amazon Prime. 

I like good driven video games story, take the last of us, god of war for exemple, but they didnt put the story above the game, the game is still here. Nothing justify in a game putting the story on the first priority. Well nothing if you dont consider that most of video games writer are or have failed movie dreams in their mind that sadly never ended up being a movie. Kojima is the perfect exemple, always do too much with his stories were he end up not even knowing what the hell he is even talking about. But at least with konami he had the decency to give us a game with that, not a Fedex delivery simulation, say what you want but at least konami put him straight at the time. MGS will always be a pillar of the video game, but death stranding, is just brain masturbation. He even put a virtual social media to criticize social media, how ironic is that. The only pseudo innovative feature in his game that confused and or hyped everybody for 3-4 years i think is a more deep version of dark souls social interactions. Like really ? did i really need to wait for Kojima to do that ? Personnaly, No.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SKyZoX9 said:

I like good driven video games story, take the last of us, god of war for exemple, but they didnt put the story above the game, the game is still here. Nothing justify in a game putting the story on the first priority. Well nothing if you dont consider that most of video games writer are or have failed movie dreams in their mind that sadly never ended up being a movie. Kojima is the perfect exemple, always do too much with his stories were he end up not even knowing what the hell he is even talking about. But at least with konami he had the decency to give us a game with that, not a Fedex delivery simulation, say what you want but at least konami put him straight at the time. MGS will always be a pillar of the video game, but death stranding, is just brain masturbation. He even put a virtual social media to criticize social media, how ironic is that. The only pseudo innovative feature in his game that confused and or hyped everybody for 3-4 years i think is a more deep version of dark souls social interactions. Like really ? did i really need to wait for Kojima to do that ? Personnaly, No.

As someone who played Metal Gear Solid 3 recently, Kojima was ahead of his time. A lot of cutscenes in that game, back when games like Grand Theft Auto San Andreas had rather simplistic stories and cutscenes to go with the open world gameplay. It was extremely rare to have cutscenes that lasted more than a couple minutes. 

Metal Gear Solid 4 I still think holds the record for having some of the longest cutscenes in a video game. Something that video games have only recently started putting a lot of focus on, at least since 2015 and onwards. 

MGS broke ground. Death Stranding? Not so much.

Edited by Spaz