Death Stranding Reviews

Ghost

Will you be picking up Death Stranding on release?  

600 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be picking up Death Stranding on release?

• Yes
    • No
    • Later on
    • Will get it on PC

5 minutes ago, Property_Damage said:

Its cuz whats his face from The Walking Dead is in it

next year itll be that game with the guy from Bill and Tedds Excellent Adventure

Disclaimer: im just being an ass please dont anyone actually quote me on this 

Never seen TWD.

Cyberpunk is likely under hyped.

I quoted you because I'm an ass.

• Like 3

On 11/2/2019 at 5:53 AM, SinisterPledge said:

Very accurate. The mass hysteria in this thread is interesting to read. People who were previously against day one purchases, pre-orders and games valuing visuals/story over gameplay/fun are all of a sudden defending this game before even playing it. It's about delivering parcels. I'm sorry if my mind isn't blown by this concept. Calling reviewers shills while acting like proper shills themselves.

As soon as someone raises criticism about this game they're just "hating" and have "already made up their mind". But if you somehow love it before even touching the damn cover it's alright?

The only argument I have found for this game being worth a day one purchase is that it's different. I'm sorry but that just makes people look incredibly gullible.

And for just as many people that are defending a game they haven't played...

You have schmucks that downplay the game, calling it a "walking, UPS delivery" simulator.

What's worse? Not letting negative opinion's ruin your own opinion of a game, or leaping onto people's opinions of a game and letting it pollute your entire view on said game?

The aforementioned is just a rhetorical question by the way. Unlike some people, it doesn't bother me that people have differing opinions. What does bother me is when people aren't interested in a product, and get defensive about how that product is garbage when they don't have it in their hands, trying to shove an opinion nobody asked for down people's throats.

It's not about hating. It's that nobody cares if your opinion has soured on the game at exactly the same moment a few critical opinions of the game began to surface... or, perhaps the trophy list was the final blow for you... in which case your opinion really is worthless LMAO.

Edited by Valyrious

56 minutes ago, Katt said:

40/40 on Famitsu.

Make a wish.

Here's a link to that, just in case anybody else was interested like I was.

Famitsu was one of the critics I was most interested to see where they fell on the fence with this game. In a way, they're one of the better critics, because their score is based on four people's opinions, instead of just one person. With a game being as divisive as DS has been, that's an extremely important factor.

Of course, "haters" (for want of a better word) will automatically dismiss their opinion, and say "of course the Japanese love it."
It's like people are incapable of accepting any other opinion but their own. It's kinda sad, but amusing at the same time.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SKyZoX9 said:

Not paying for being a delevery man, thats a job i can get paid for. I dont know what the hell is happening with these games that focus on stories, just make movies. Games are games. Its in the titles and im sick of the walking simulators. Yes i know there is a combat system in it but it is pretty superficial compared to what kojima is capable of doing gameplay wise, so bummer, not buyin it, probably will be a ps plus game in a year or 2.

Not to mention these labels people are using to justify poor gaming designs, today with kojima and last year with Red dead 2, games are dinosaur gameplay wise but its okkkaaaaaaaay its an AUTHOR game, yea right. 

What are visual novels to you then? Reading simulators? What is Mario, jumping simulator?

What non-sense you read nowadays, anything that has a minimum interaction IS a game, wether its good or not is a different thing that has nothing to do with it having your “fun combat”. RDR and Death Stranding have probably more game mechanics than most of any your “heavy combat” based games.

If you really wan’t to play something that doesn’t require a good story to keep you going, then play any popular multiplayer based game, they only need the social competition to keep you playing, paying and transform you into a cutscene and dialog skipper. 

7 hours ago, Bartholomuse said:

Well then it's settled, Death Stranding is a mammoth undertaking to platinum, not that I mind, I loved doing everything in phantom pain (which took me 160 hours if I remember?)

From Hakoom's stats he spent the most time traveled by truck, which I'm kind of surprised by, that driving would be that big of a deal. Everything I've seen has been all on foot.

The community needs to co-ordinate it's efforts to build a motorway asap lol

It’s not time spent in the truck though, its distance traveled which makes more sense.

• Like 2

I have to say I am really excited for this game. I have watched non-spoilerish reviews on Youtube and honestly, I don't mind the things it's being criticized for. I don't even mind going around delivery packages so long as the plot is good. I think this is going to be a game you either love or get bored at, so I guess you can figure it out on your own only, and not based on other people's opinion.

I would have gotten this Day 1 if it wasn't coming out in the week of my Econ graduation, so I risk buying it and then getting it as a present. Only reason I voted "later on".

Day 1. Honestly, I'm aware that the gameplay loop might be a tad boring, but I thought the cast was a really strong part of what made me buy it.

The narrative seems really interesting,  and I don't mind doing deliveries. Hell, in RDR2,  I used to wander over from Saint Dennis to Waipiti Reservation just for the sake of atmosphere. I do love some "digital travel".

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BlackTorito said:

What are visual novels to you then? Reading simulators? What is Mario, jumping simulator?

What non-sense you read nowadays, anything that has a minimum interaction IS a game, wether its good or not is a different thing that has nothing to do with it having your “fun combat”. RDR and Death Stranding have probably more game mechanics than most of any your “heavy combat” based games.

If you really wan’t to play something that doesn’t require a good story to keep you going, then play any popular multiplayer based game, they only need the social competition to keep you playing, paying and transform you into a cutscene and dialog skipper. 

It’s not time spent in the truck though, its distance traveled which makes more sense.

Interaction does not mean gaming, interactive movies are not gaming. And the thing you missed in mu quote is that death stranding is a lesser version it can be because of the focus on the story. Kojima proved hes capable of doing stories and games. Same is said to Rd2 its plain laziness. They have many superficial mecanics that district from the fact that its not a game, in the deeplevel where your body will be invested in the movements of your stick like a fighting/rpg/fps game. Finally visual novels can be good or a bad design, because even in phoenix wright there is a gameplay, thinking, assembling puzzles and it was the better version of it self at te time. But death stranding is not a "Game" at the better of itself compared o the new games we have or will have in 2020.

12 minutes ago, SKyZoX9 said:

But death stranding is not a "Game" at the better of itself compared o the new games we have or will have in 2020.

You don't have another deliveryman simulator as complex and in-depth as this one to even compare it to.  You are mistaking DS for walking sim for some reason. The ones that have barely anything that remotely resembles gameplay in them. 

• Like 1

I might get the game probably later. I am not a Kojima fan so its story and cinematic cutscenes might not be attractive for me. The thing that I am worrying about is the gameplay tbh. Delivering cargo and constructing road/bridge could be tedious after playing the game for more than 50h. If there's nothing else, I won't say that DS is a "game" -- it is just a delivery simulator with some infrastructure construction, and the multiplayer feature probably won't change the gameplay too much.

I have been playing games for a long time and usually have a pretty good idea whether I will like a game or not based on previews, trailers, etc.; but I think Death Stranding is one of those games that is a total enigma and will demand a playthrough. Not a full priced playthrough mind you, but eventually I will form my own opinion.

It is pretty surprising how polarizing the game is despite only one person here has played it. My advice to the naysayers - focus your energy on the games and genres you are exited for and passionate about. No need to rain on the parade of people that are excited about Death Stranding just because it isn't for you.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, awf9495 said:

I have been playing games for a long time and usually have a pretty good idea whether I will like a game or not based on previews, trailers, etc.; but I think Death Stranding is one of those games that is a total enigma and will demand a playthrough. Not a full priced playthrough mind you, but eventually I will form my own opinion.

I have this same feeling. Death Stranding is probably not for me, but it's an itch I have to scratch. Deadly Premonition was the same way. I certainly had the, ummm, deadly premonition that I would hate the game, but so many people talked about it that when it was free, I had to play. And...it sucked. But I can say that from experience. Death Stranding will likely be the same way, but it's become interesting to me.

But, like you, I won't pay $59.99 to scratch this itch.

Edited by starcrunch061

1 hour ago, Akrioz said:

You don't have another deliveryman simulator as complex and in-depth as this one to even compare it to.  You are mistaking DS for walking sim for some reason. The ones that have barely anything that remotely resembles gameplay in them. 

Ubisoft games are perfect complex in depht to compare it to, they basically make you a delivery  man too. The same flaws that they have can be applied to DS. and Death stranding is a walking simulation with balance in walking mechanics, it is supposed to be a metaphor of the pain you have to suffer during the road or smth like that, is it enough to make it and consider that a game ? not to my standards. Im not telling absolute truth but mainly people who where gamers in the earl 2000 and 90 will tell you the same, this is boring to play, even though its story heavy. i dont want to play that at the very maximum i could watch that, but the game isnt meant to be watch its a sort of social experience. this shouldv been a book or a movie, making it a game is a waste.

4 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

I have this same feeling. Death Stranding is probably not for me, but it's an itch I have to scratch. Deadly Premonition was the same way. I certainly had the, ummm, deadly premonition that I would hate the game, but so many people talked about it that when it was free, I had to play. And...it sucked. But I can say that from experience. Death Stranding will likely be the same way, but it's become interesting to me.

But, like you, I won't pay $59.99 to scratch this itch.

Yeah, good or bad Death Stranding at least seems like an experience worth trying. Now which of us will scratch that itch first?

On 11/6/2019 at 0:11 PM, SKyZoX9 said:

Ubisoft games are perfect complex in depht to compare it to, they basically make you a delivery  man too. The same flaws that they have can be applied to DS. and Death stranding is a walking simulation with balance in walking mechanics, it is supposed to be a metaphor of the pain you have to suffer during the road or smth like that, is it enough to make it and consider that a game ? not to my standards. Im not telling absolute truth but mainly people who where gamers in the earl 2000 and 90 will tell you the same, this is boring to play, even though its story heavy. i dont want to play that at the very maximum i could watch that, but the game isnt meant to be watch its a sort of social experience. this shouldv been a book or a movie, making it a game is a waste.

I've been gaming since the 80s.

I wouldn't say this is boring to play or meant to be watching on lol "social media".

Nor would I attempt to limit gaming to certain kind of genre seeing the large number of folks that have been interested in making interactive movies since the games were first put on CD-ROM.

Maybe the kinds that started gaming on that 00s would agree with you though

Edited by TJ_Solo

Not getting it as from the countless gameplay videos/reviews I have watched I just know it's not for me. An interesting observation from this thread though is that some people are looking at IGN's review and saying that they're 'paid shills' just because they don't like the score, when they themselves blindly praise the same game calling it a 'masterpiece' even though they haven't even touched it. I didn't expect YouTube comment section level of discussions here in PSNP but I'm still new here so I guess there's that lol. I'm actually curious about what people's final thoughts about this game are going to be once they finish it and the hype has died down. 

Edited by PostGameBlues

Kojima has a tendency to place value over his in-game exposition than he does with gameplay. With all due respect to Kojima, he alone has no concept of gameplay: he's actually a storyteller. It's generally his development team who fill in these gaps. If you played games like Snatcher and Metal Gear Solid 1, you'll see what I mean.

Maybe his recent games have balanced out over the years, but Kojima's creative style of computer gaming has always been fundamentally an interactive movie experience for the consumer.

Btw, I'm not dissing Kojima. I just know what to expect of him after playing his games for the past 20+ years. The Western developers borrow heavily from Kojima because it makes a profit. It works. You have to give him credit for that.

Edited by thepeaguy

3 hours ago, thepeaguy said:

Kojima has a tendency to place value over his in-game exposition than he does with gameplay. With all due respect to Kojima, he alone has no concept of gameplay: he's actually a storyteller. It's generally his development team who fill in these gaps. If you played games like Snatcher and Metal Gear Solid 1, you'll see what I mean.

Maybe his recent games have balanced out over the years, but Kojima's creative style of computer gaming has always been fundamentally an interactive movie experience for the consumer.

Btw, I'm not dissing Kojima. I just know what to expect of him after playing his games for the past 20+ years. The Western developers borrow heavily from Kojima because it makes a profit. It works. You have to give him credit for that.

That is quite the interesting debate style. 

He doesn't know what he is going when making games but you've been playing his games for 20 years and other have copied from him because, in your own words, it works. 

You clearly want to diss man and want the "experienced" angle but end up saying things that contradict the diss 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PostGameBlues said:

Not getting it as from the countless gameplay videos/reviews I have watched I just know it's not for me. An interesting observation from this thread though is that some people are looking at IGN's review and saying that they're 'paid shills' just because they don't like the score, when they themselves blindly praise the same game calling it a 'masterpiece' even though they haven't even touched it. I didn't expect YouTube comment section level of discussions here in PSNP but I'm still new here so I guess there's that lol. I'm actually curious about what people's final thoughts about this game are going to be once they finish it and the hype has died down. 

You're taking the easy way out by making up people to defeat. 

Read IGNs comment section for the DS review. Pay attention more to the folks calling the review bad because it lacked information, doesn't follow IGN's supposed standards, and compare it to other IGN reviews.   Their complaints are not blindly praising DS or even mentioning it directly. They are calling out the review for being poorly written and incomplete.  

• Like 1