Rumor: PlayStation Plus Premium

Sifferino

Not sure how reliable this is, but it sure sounds like the kind of dick move Sony would make:

https://www.theweek.co.uk/gaming/98334/playstation-5-ps5-news-rumours-ps4-backwards-compatibility-release-date-confirmed-unconfirmed

Is PS Plus changing?

It has been reported that sony’s PlayStation Plus subscription service will undergo a major overhaul next year.

A game developer, who wishes to remain anonymous, told the gaming news site SegmentNext that the Japanese games firm was planning to release a PS Plus Premium service alongside the PS5. This means players will be able to access titles before their official release date. 

The developer says the service will allow users to compete on private servers for multiplayer games, the site reports. Private servers offer greater online stability than conventional public lobbies.

The Premium service will run alongside the current PS Plus membership. This grants players access to online game modes, as well as exclusive discounts on the PS Store. 

The source did not reveal how much the Premium service would cost. Given that PS Plus membership costs around £50 per year, the Premium service will “no doubt cost more to use”, says the Daily Express

It remains to be seen whether the service will bundle in some of Sony’s other subscription models, such as the video game streaming platform PlayStation Now, the paper adds.

For me personally Plus is pretty much useless as it is so I will wonder with bemusement what they will do to dress it down even further in order to introduce something even more expensive. 

Edited by Sifferino
  • Like 2

As long as the normal ps+ is still available I don't see an issue here. The market is changeing, there are more and more adult gamers with well-paid full time jobs who are willing to pay more for thier hobby if they are actually getting something in return. Actually this rumor fits in nicely with the rumors about two ps5 being available from day one. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RJP_X said:

i wouldn't mind if they had levels of it, but if they had cheaper versions of it. like a $10-$20 a year version that enables discounts and online, higher memberships for those that want the games and such. in the end everyone should get the same deals and get online without having it locked behind a pay wall. 

Yeah, and option without the monthly games should have been introduced once ps+ became mandatory for online gaming. I doubt this is ever going to happen though; they'd lose too much money.

• Like 1

Yeah, I just want online play (duh), discounts, and cloud saves.  If they could offer that for cheaper without the monthly games (PS Plus Standard or Basic), I’d be all over it!

7 minutes ago, RJP_X said:

i wouldn't mind if they had levels of it, but if they had cheaper versions of it. like a $10-$20 a year version that enables discounts and online, higher memberships for those that want the games and such. in the end everyone should get the same deals and get online without having it locked behind a pay wall. 

4 minutes ago, panikooooos said:

Just lmao if this is true, it's basically dedicated servers behind a paywall, Steam does that for free what a joke

go play Steam instead?  The customer always has the choice.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, POEman553 said:

I wouldn't mind if the service worked for PS3 and PS4, yay I can host a server for MAG now and get the Platinum! (probably not going to be true)

This is a good idea, I don't know if it would work since the matchmaking services have closed down so even if you had dedicated servers I believe you'd run into a problem. Maybe someone who knows this stuff can enlighten us

This could be fine if the current PSPl price is lowered, while the new PSPP takes the price of the former/inferior PSPl sub. And the "early access to games" better only apply to the multiplayer portion of them and not the single player. 

Regardless of what changes are coming when the PS5 launches, the PS Plus subscription service definitely needs a huge overhaul. Multiplayer, online storage, and 2 free games (hopefully 4 when the PS5 launches) is just not enough features in 2020. Something needs to change with PS Plus when PS5 is released, but I don't know what it should be.

Maybe bundle PS Plus and PS Now into one service? Or give away new release games, instead of years old AAA games? The games have been improving this year, however I do miss those times when random new indie games were given away on same day release or when there was a pole with games to choose from? PS Plus has been the same stuff for years now and something new needs to be injected into PS Plus with next gen. If it does stay the same, then I'll be letting my subscription lapse and just stick to general sales, as the value for the service is just not worth is any longer.

If it's this PS Plus Premium nonsense mentioned above, then that is stupid.

It would be a disaster if they went through with it. Private servers should be baked into the subscription not a premium add on. Unless of course, you could host private servers on games that no longer have them up, then that is a different story, but I highly doubt that is the case.

The only way premium makes sense is being bundled with PS Now or you get even more games each month.

• Like 1

The benefits aren’t tangible enough to justify the cost (and resulting  bad press). 

If if there was a phrase like, 10% off new releases, I could believe it. Paying $20 a year for the right to earn fixed discounts is a common subscription practice. Paying $20 more a year to get some vague “other discount” sounds like nonsense.

The private server comment is even worse. So, you pay $20 more to be put on a faith-based private server? Fools and their money and all that.

I don’t buy this story in the least. And if Sony DOES do this, more power to them. An idiot who would pay for this deserves to be parted from his money.

If it's true then I'll definitely keep my eye on it, sure it might be a terrible idea but everyone complains about everything but will still do it when it comes out. It's just rumours right now so the information given could be completely wrong or spot on, until there's something official it's hard to say if it'll be worth it. 

I do wonder if it is true is that will you have to upgrade to get free PS5 games every month? Having private servers isn't enough to make people change so they would have to find someway to make people want to upgrade. 

If this is true and the only additional benefits are early access (only to alpha and beta versions according to that SegmentNext article) & private servers, then I don't see this doing well.  There almost has to be something else to it, doesn't there?  Or it's just false rumors.

I'll also note that the SegmentNext article is from March.  Is there anything else more recent backing this up since then?  A quick search for PS Plus Premium just shows people repeating what SegmentNext said (including this thread).

• Like 1

Earlier access titles?

Private servers?

WelI, I guess nothing will change for me as I'm used to play games 4-5 years after their release lol

Seriously: allowing few players to play on better servers, letting the rest of the world like "play with a third world server" would be a dick move because both factions would pay for the same fuc*ing thing