understanding death stranding

UlvenFenrir

2 minutes ago, SinisterPledge said:

Different for the sake of being different and complexity for the sake of complexity is never good. Sadly I feel like Kojima makes this mistake in some of his games and judging by the trailers + gameplay for Death Stranding, this game seems to be similar in that regard. I think you need to take it easy with your eager dismissal of people who don't like the game. There is legit criticism to be raised about a game that is a basically a walking simulator, in the sense that managing how you walk is a core gameplay feature. The fact that the vast majority of the missions seem to be delivery quests isn't exactly innovative either, no matter how much you coat it in fancy graphics and "deep" storylines. Not everyone who thinks the game looks boring is a CoD or AC fanboy with ADHD like you seem to insinuate.

There is plenty of criticism against CoD and AC for doing the same thing over and over again. I don't know where you got the idea that those franchises are considered flawless, because they're not.

From what I understand from reviews and the gameplay I've watched - this game is beautiful to look at and tells a unique story. If it's for good or bad remains to be seen. However, the fun factor seems to be pretty low, even among people who praise it. So I might as well watch a movie at that point and skip the tedious walking?

Perhaps you should wait to "support the shit out of it" until you've finished it and made up your own mind. As for your talk about people being sheep. Same goes for all the Kojima fanboys who buy his games blindly, praising them as masterpieces no matter what.

kojima doesnt poop out annual games though. if there was that much criticism regarding cod and ac then why tf do they score so high all the time? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SinisterPledge said:

No, Kojima is definitely too constipated to take shits annually.

As for the games scoring high, it's probably due to a lot of people finding them to be fun.

i want whatever it is theyre having then because buying the same game every year while they try to scam you with micros and dots that costs 10 dollars a piece must be alot of “fun”. do you know why these company thrives the way they do? do you know why creative games dont? the people within the medium has changed. the older generation of gamers appreciates a good game. the newer generation just want another episode of the most boring soap opera ever because thats the easiest thing to do.

• Like 4

I hope the game does well; it has recently piqued me interest after being nowhere on my radar (possibly because of the title I assumed it was a horror game or such).

i am not sure the game is for me or not, will probably give it a try at some point, but I do like that they are trying new things.  

1 hour ago, UlvenFenrir said:

i laugh at people spending all their money on the same game every year

When I buy a sequel, I more or less expect it to play the same as the previous titles, for whatever reason it was that drew me to the originals I played.

I'd expect the story to be continued or expanded upon.

I'd welcome updated graphics or visual enhancements.

I'd assume some tweaks fix a previous clunky mechanic.

I'd expect a new function be added, but leaving the core game almost identical.

I buy games I think I'll have fun with. Simple as that. Death Stranding is a potential candidate.

Edited by B1rvine
  • Like 1

I hate to sound like an asshole, but your opening post is just hard to read through. I'm going to guess English isn't your first language since you're from Denmark.

8 minutes ago, SinisterPledge said:

"the older generation of gamers appreciates a good game, the newer generation just want another episode of the most boring soap opera ever" - What does this even mean? Is Death Stranding objectively good now and if you don't agree you're a 12 year old CoD fan? I'm 26 and I'm very much bored with CoD and roll my eyes at the new Far Cry games. That still doesn't magically elevate Death Stranding. It needs to stand on its own legs, regardless of what the mainstream franchises push out every year.

I doubt 12 year old kids can just go out and buy the newest Call of Duty game without begging their parents to buy it for them.

The newer generation I consider to be between age 14 and 24. You're just above that and you're not that young. The older generation, those of us in our 30s and 40s, are generally people who have been gaming for over two or three decades and expect something good out of the money we spend on games every week.

Call of Duty at least has a tad bit of variety and theming between their titles. Far Cry I consider better than Call of Duty because it doesn't have a legion of asshole fans. I roll my eyes at all the new sports games because they're the same bullshit year after year. Madden? NBA 2K20? FIFA? NHL? I pity the morons who bought those Deluxe Editions for $90 - 100. It's pretty much proven that any sports game is going to drop dramatically in price.

Look at MLB the Show 19. That game is barely seven months old, it came out in March this year and it's already on fucking PlayStation Plus? Just goes to show that buying sports games at full price is stupid.

I have rather mixed feelings on Death Stranding. Honestly I just haven't been impressed this year. God of War 2018 and Marvel's Spider-Man were better I felt, same goes for Horizon Zero Dawn the year before. The exclusives this year, and some of the bigger third party titles, not exactly the best.

Completely agree with the OP. Its totally fine to dislike death stranding or even dismiss it if it looks like something that doesn't appeal to you but I am starting to see people on social media championing its failure because of mixed reviews. I really don't understand this mentality that some gamers have that every game should try and cater to their sensibilities. I don't really see this in films for the most part and this can also be connected to the accessibility argument sekiro and the souls game face where some section of gamers demand an easy mode so they can play it. Why can't something just be unique from a design perspective and if you don't like it just play 100s of other games available in the market.  

Personally pre ordered DS even after seeing the reviews because I really want to try something experimental even if  there are high chances that I might not like this game(Not a fan of micromanagement for the most part) and I am not really a kojima fan either. Only played the OG metal gear(liked this a lot) and I played 3-4hrs of MGS V which i did not like. 

Edited by abhinandhan22
  • Like 2

I dislike walking simulators and survival games. But i have so far enjoyed everything Kojima has created and will play this game with an open mind on release. Even if it don't really like the game after beating it i wont mind having bought it day one. I like supporting developers that are consumer friendly and that create games that take actual effort to put out.

• Like 1

Look at the reviews for Days Gone. Then look at the user's reviews. It's a really fun game and yet critic's still shat on it. So I'm still going to get Death Stranding no matter what the critics say. Sometime's it's good to have a better story than gameplay imo. There's no such thing as a perfect game. Heck, even a few of my friends HATED Ocarina of Time and that has the highest score on metacritic. 

21 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I can't say much for Death Stranding. I don't know anything about the game. That's kinda how it was marketed, and I'm fine with that. But man, people are vicious. Look at how they tore into No Man's Sky when it was released. It had real issues, to be fair, but some people were clearly clamoring for failure from the start. I get that same impression with VR, the new Star Wars trilogy, and basically anything else these days that tries to do something innovative. It seems like people actively want new IPs to fail, to validate the things they already like.

Add me to the list of people who enjoyed No Man's Sky, even though it's rough around the edges to be sure.  It's definitely more popular to tear things down than it is to just play it and see if it's enjoyable, even if flawed.  But the latter just seems to me to be a much more pleasant way to go about it.

I mean, personally, I'm much happier if I'm not going around trying to find the flaws in everything I consider buying or everything I play.  I think I notice enough flaws without looking for them (crashes, trophy glitches, extremely bad story, etc.).  And I can decide to not buy a game without feeling like I must convince myself it's trash first.  When playing games, even "mediocre" ones, I generally try to find a positive experience if there is one to be had and usually there is.

This thread hasn't helped me understand Death Stranding, very disappointing lol.

I honestly have no interest in Death Stranding and don't see what all the fuss is about. But I'm not going to come on here or go to Twitter and shit all over it because of that. Just won't play it, seems people forget they have that option when comes to new games these days.

• Like 1

The only things I knew about Death Stranding before this thread is that it stars Norman Readus (and possibly babies?). What I learned from OP is that it's a walking simulator. So Death Stranding is a hard pass from me. If it's free on PS Plus/Now then I might give it a go if it's an easy platinum, but I sure as hell won't support a non-game by paying any amount of money for it.

I'm gonna be honest, you legitimately come off as an angry Kojima fan lashing out at people who don't like Death Stranding. The major misconception here is that you think that these reactions Death Stranding is getting are about it's creativity when it's really about whether or not people consider it a fun video game. If they don't, it doesn't make them anti-creativity and it certainly doesn't mean they don't understand it, they just don't like it and that's 100% okay. You appear to be taking the criticism personally as if you worked on it and feel attacked by anything bad people may say about the game. It's just not worth it to get in that big a huff over what other people think of a video game lol.

• Like 3