Outlast 2 Platinum Playthrough

mariosF94

Oh boy, would I have some insight for people thinking about using this video for their platinum ambitions, or most of the others that get shown around here. I doubt they wanna hear it from someone who legit gave up on this games plat though, so I just lean back and let this be a surprise. Gotta say in all honesty though that this is a highly impressive run for various reasons, I only checked the critical sections and some select few in between but that was something else, very entertaining to watch.

• Like 1

On 2019-11-03 at 6:55 AM, Nighcisama said:

Oh boy, would I have some insight for people thinking about using this video for their platinum ambitions, or most of the others that get shown around here. I doubt they wanna hear it from someone who legit gave up on this games plat though, so I just lean back and let this be a surprise. Gotta say in all honesty though that this is a highly impressive run for various reasons, I only checked the critical sections and some select few in between but that was something else, very entertaining to watch.

Yeah this is a rather impressive run. Getting all collectibles while doing Messiah takes pretty good knowledge of the game.

This is the first thing he wrote in the video description though: THIS IS NOT A GUIDE! Guess it would be hard to follow the video and getting all collectibles, and if you die you need to pick them up again =>

Edited by Quink666
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Quink666 said:

This is the first thing he wrote in the video description though: THIS IS NOT A GUIDE! Guess it would be hard to follow the video and getting all collectibles, and if you die you need to pick them up again =>

9 hours ago, Nighcisama said:

Agreed, but in my experience very few people read youtube descriptions, so I can see a few unfortunate people try this video for their efficient platinum attempt.

The "THIS IS NOT A GUIDE!" part was not in the description when I shared the video here. That's the reason first thing I said was that I'm not sure if it counts as a walkthrough. Anyway, changed the tittle to avoid further confusion.

Question please vets ;)

Not sure if will play this soon or leave till later if at all as a lot of good games are coming Nov

But, would a easy first playthrough doing all collectibles and most misc, then a speedrun insane perhaps more appropriate??

Insane will be done quick anyway so good idea to combine with insane??

Thanks in advance

13 minutes ago, Optinooby said:

Question please vets ;)

Not sure if will play this soon or leave till later if at all as a lot of good games are coming Nov

But, would a easy first playthrough doing all collectibles and most misc, then a speedrun insane perhaps more appropriate??

Insane will be done quick anyway so good idea to combine with insane??

Thanks in advance

If you're new to this, definitely play the game first on a lower difficulty to enjoy the game and get all collectibles and misc trophies. Then either prepare on nightmare difficulty or if you feel like it, which I wouldn't recommend, start your insane playhtrough without using any batteries. Good luck, man!

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry if this question makes no sense.

I'm currently doing my first run through of this game on Story mode, but I've missed a lot of the collectibles. If I then do a 2nd run through on nightmare, do I have to collect the collectibles I essentially already have, or do they transfer between saves? And if they don't, then on my easy save, if I go back to Chapter 1 to get some collectibles, do I then have to go through the whole game from that point or could I then say jump to chapter 5 before jumping back to chapter 2?

Also, even on story mode this game is tough. I can't imagine how hard nightmare or insane are, or even beating the game in 4 hours.

Edited by TheBonobo4

20 minutes ago, TheBonobo4 said:

I'm currently doing my first run through of this game on Story mode, but I've missed a lot of the collectibles. If I then do a 2nd run through on nightmare, do I have to collect the collectibles I essentially already have, or do they transfer between saves? And if they don't, then on my easy save, if I go back to Chapter 1 to get some collectibles, do I then have to go through the whole game from that point or could I then say jump to chapter 5 before jumping back to chapter 2?

Also, even on story mode this game is tough. I can't imagine how hard nightmare or insane are, or even beating the game in 4 hours.

If you go to the trophy guide here on PSNP you can read "Unlike the first game, you do not need to gather all of the collectibles in one run"

https://psnprofiles.com/guide/6571-outlast-2-trophy-guide

Edited by Quink666

42 minutes ago, TheBonobo4 said:

You don't need a second run in order to collect the documents you missed. You can pick them through the chapter select without replaying the entire game.

But I don't know if the collectibles are shared between different save files. In my run I simply collected a couple of videos that I missed (especially the one called "Martha" before the first cornfield) through the chapter select mode.

Actually I'm really surprised that the speedrun trophy is ultrarare. Once you memorized everything, it should be easy finish the game in 4 hours. The real challenge is the insane run with no checkpoints.

Edited by Phoenix_argentea

1 minute ago, Phoenix_argentea said:

You don't need a second run in order to collect the documents you missed. You can pick them through the chapter select without replaying the entire game.

But I don't know if the collectibles are shared between different save files. In my run I simply collected a couple of video that I missed (especially the one called "Martha" before the first cornfield) through the chapter select mode.

Actually I'm really surprised that the speedrun trophy is ultrarare. Once you memorized everything, it should be easy finish the game in 4 hours. The real challenge is the insane run with no checkpoints.

Speedrun trophy is ultrarare because people don't care about doing it since they will most likely not try to get the platinum. So they decide not to waste time with it.

I don't think collectibles are saved between different saves/difficulties since trophy guide recommend that you go back after your first playthrough to get them via chapter select. 

Thanks. I do want to plat this game, but I think insane might actually kill me. Nightmare will be tough but I'll know I can just keep retrying, and I know I'll die a lot because I'm dying even on story mode. I can't even imagine the pain of dying 99 percent the way through an insane run.

7 minutes ago, TheBonobo4 said:

Thanks. I do want to plat this game, but I think insane might actually kill me. Nightmare will be tough but I'll know I can just keep retrying, and I know I'll die a lot because I'm dying even on story mode. I can't even imagine the pain of dying 99 percent the way through an insane run.

The worst part is that when you die on insane you have to sit through the intro cutscene every single time. It's like 5 minutes long =>

Yeah true. In the past I've tried doing a no deaths run on a game on the computer called Titan Quest with a mod that adds more enemies. You get more gold and level up quicker but it still tougher than base game. It was very annoying because a full run through took 100 plus hours, and I did die 40 or so hours in. :(

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PermaFox said:

I was going to start this game but after reading the comments about the Insane run through maybe I'll just say no.

Well if you do not aim for the platinum it is an ok game to play. It is a bit too heavy on the chases, especially in the hillbilly chapters, but the later chapters are scary as hell the first time you play it so if you are into horror games I still recommend it for the experience, especially if it comes for free. The insane runs can really turn you into a wreck though, they royally fucked me up to the point that I no longer even seriously try to complete games and I get reminded of that fact whenever I look at my now incomplete profile. Wished I had never started this thing, despite enjoying the first playthrough.

52 minutes ago, TheBonobo4 said:

Good luck to you, you're gonna need it, really. If the game feels like it you can die somewhat randomly no matter how many times you practice certain sections, especially in chapter 2, which is around an hour to an hour and a half into the game depending on your speed.

• Like 2

I'm not a completionist either, but I like a challenge if I think I can do it. Most of the time, if I haven't got platinum on a game, it's either me being too lazy to grind the last few trophies, or I didn't find the trophy fun to get, or it had multiplayer trophies and I rarely enjoy multiplayer to be honest.

40 minutes ago, PermaFox said:

@Nighcisama  Thankfully, I'm not a completionist so if you think the game is pretty good, I'll give it a try.

It's most definitely worth a try, and if you don't care about plat or % you got no reason not to try. It's a solid horror game, not as good as the first but still a solid 6/10 in my book.

13 minutes ago, mariosF94 said:

@TheBonobo4 Just to clarify, you can collect the remaining collectibles via chapter select or start from scratch on your next run. Good luck pal!

On the same save file via chapter select. Not starting a new game.

31 minutes ago, TheBonobo4 said:

Thanks. One last question for now. I understand that if you die in insane you restart from the very beginning of chapter 1, but can you still save and quit? Or does it have to be done all in one go, no quitting to go to sleep or turn the ps4 off?

You have to complete it in one session. No exiting the game, no losing. You can pause the game of course though.

26 minutes ago, Quink666 said:

On the same save file via chapter select. Not starting a new game.

Up to him which way he chooses but I think both options are not time consuming. Unless he has collected most of collectibles by the end of his first playthrough.

• Like 1