Outlast 2 Platinum Playthrough

mariosF94

30 minutes ago, TheBonobo4 said:

Thanks. One last question for now. I understand that if you die in insane you restart from the very beginning of chapter 1, but can you still save and quit? Or does it have to be done all in one go, no quitting to go to sleep or turn the ps4 off?

Unfortunately you can't. You have to do it in one run. You can pause or you can out the PS4 in rest mode, but, if you close or quit the game, you'll lose all your progress, and you'll be back into the menu, so you need to see )again) the helicopter crush. At least in the first Outlast you were put back out of the asylum, since it skipped the introduction, and the insane run was more challenging, but in Outlast II this run was more frustrating, and (in my case) every single chase was full of tension, especially the ones in chapter 4 and 5 with the heretics.

And the unskippable cutscenes of the first chapter are really insane. Probably without that you could finish the run in less than 2 hours, but usually a Messiah run requires 2h and 40 minutes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mariosF94 said:

You have to complete it in one session. No exiting the game, no losing. You can pause the game of course though.

Up to him which way he chooses but I think both options are not time consuming. Unless he has collected most of collectibles by the end of his first playthrough.

I've got the road to Damascus already for 30 of the 50 recordings, but I'm very unlikely to get the 40 documents. Good to know regarding chapter select, since then I can just hop around without having to do the whole game again, as I missed stuff in every chapter so far.

That also seriously sucks regarding insane. But I assume they did it so you can't save right before a really tough part and quit, and also possibly just to make it more realistic. The difficulty description is life simulator after all. Or maybe the game developers are just sadistic. At least you can save on nightmare, I'll just have to remember that when I start insane it's literally all or nothing so I'll have to know the game very well.

• Like 2

Remember you also need to use one battery during you insane/Messiah run. You can use the "Nick & Laird" glitch/checkpoint, so you can use it in the dark sections of the first 2 chapters, since, when you regain the camera in chapter 2, you always have 2/3 (or 3/4, I still don't understand which is right) of your battery. After this point you really need to save it, especially for the library maze and the mines chases. But I didn't find it really difficult, it's just a matter of memory, since the real challenge is reaching the end with no checkpoints and zero mistakes (and I made a lot of stupid mistakes, but I also found some stupid glitches which messed up my runs).

This is just my idea, but, due to the lenght of the game and the unskippable cutscenes, Red Barrels should have made something similar to the "classic mode" of The Evil Within 2: a single save option in the middle of game (for example, at the beginning of chapter 4. If you die, you'll restart there and you don't need to run through Temple Gate and face Nick & Laird over and over again, and also watch long cutscenes over and over again).

Anyway, good luck with this platinum. You really need it! :)

• Like 1

I realised something really stupid last night. I knew that they made a patch at some point that meant using the microphone on the camera used no battery, but I interpreted it as no *more* battery, as in, holding the camera up still drains battery, but microphone uses no more. So now that I know you can hold the camera and use the microphone without using battery, and only using the night vision consumes battery, it'll make getting recordings in future a lot easier, since now I can in theory just do the whole game with the microphone on. I already have the Them that hath ears trophy, so I don't *technically* need to use the microphone, but it is still useful.

That's right. In the 1.00 version, the microphone drained the camera battery, but it didn't anymore in the 1.02 version (so, only the IR/night vidion drains the battery), and they also rebalanced (in a good way) the game. But the latest version (1.04 or 1.05?) removed some chases, making some sections with no sense (when you escape from the chapel, the long heretics chase before the last school section, the last demon chase in the school when you escape from the bathroom, the heretics when you reach the mines elevator, and also the first Val's chase in the mine was removed). Surely in this way Red Barrels made the insane run easier, but they also removed some of the best moments in the game (like the last demon chase with the blood following you on the walls). Probably because during chapter 4 there were too many chases.

12 minutes ago, TheBonobo4 said:

How much harder is nightmare than story mode? I'm still on my first play through on story mode, mid way through chapter 5 now, but so far I've actually died a lot of times, so I'm wondering how on earth I'll ever beat insane? 1f61e.png

Enemies like Marta and Nick and Laird are one hit kill while regular enemies I think two hits. Don't worry about it though because in order to complete the game on insane you'll have to learn how each and every encounter works and create or find a tactic that works best for you, for example from the video on my og post, on nightmare. Having done that, you will be able to breeze through nightmare with no trouble. The hard part is repeating every single one of those encounters consecutively without failing once. Good luck!

• Like 1

Are there less batteries or bandages? Batteries I haven't had an issue with but I've run out of bandages once or twice. I suppose the thing is is that even on nightmare you can just reload the checkpoint and you will eventually beat the game even if it takes 50 deaths (Heart of the Reich on veteran from COD WAW took me about 3 hours to beat, I think it's about 15 minutes on regular), And hopefully come insane I'll know the game well enough.

37 minutes ago, TheBonobo4 said:

Are there less batteries or bandages? Batteries I haven't had an issue with but I've run out of bandages once or twice. I suppose the thing is is that even on nightmare you can just reload the checkpoint and you will eventually beat the game even if it takes 50 deaths (Heart of the Reich on veteran from COD WAW took me about 3 hours to beat, I think it's about 15 minutes on regular), And hopefully come insane I'll know the game well enough.

Don't know if there are less but there are more than enough bandages that you need to use on an insane run. As for batteries you can't use them so no need to worry about them. It might take a few tries to pass each section on nightmare but quickly you'll get the hang of it. 

• Like 1

Yeah that makes sense. Also, whilst this obviously doesn't apply for insane, (on insane I won't pick up any batteries), but I've noticed that often my character doesn't change the battery when I want him to, (unless I'm just pressing the wrong button?) though I think he changes it automatically when it runs out so that's not a big deal. But he also seems to often, though not always, change the battery when I find a new one? I don't know if there's a reason for this or how to stop it, I just want to make sure I'm not wasting batteries unnecessarily.

33 minutes ago, TheBonobo4 said:

Yeah that makes sense. Also, whilst this obviously doesn't apply for insane, (on insane I won't pick up any batteries), but I've noticed that often my character doesn't change the battery when I want him to, (unless I'm just pressing the wrong button?) though I think he changes it automatically when it runs out so that's not a big deal. But he also seems to often, though not always, change the battery when I find a new one? I don't know if there's a reason for this or how to stop it, I just want to make sure I'm not wasting batteries unnecessarily.

That never happened to me before.. changing batteries by his own every time I'd find one.. Only two ways I know how to change batteries are 1) press the triangle button and 2) press the touchpad, look at the pocket with the batteries and then hit square I think. Like you said though, not picking up any batteries at all is the safest way. No reason to anyway.

Edited by mariosF94
  • Like 1

Don't pick up any battery and you'll be fine, since the button for battery and healing is the same (:triangle:, but actually for healing you need to press the button for a longer time). But usually Blake doesn't change a battery unless you order it.

And if I remember correctly, the story mode has less enemies, they are also much slower and you take more hits before you die.

But nightmare is a real nightmare: boss can kill you in one hit (Martha, Nick & Laird, Demon School, Val), but also every wrong chase can become a game over, since, after you take one hit, you start bleeding and slowing down, then you'll be grabbed by the enemies. I still remember an insane run which ended in a stupid way. Last heretics chase in chapter 4 (when you need to go back to the elevator): in some strange way Blake didn't jump over the first table, he did a stupid jump. Then I jumped over the obstacle, but it was already too late, I took 1 hit, then I reached the stairs and I died...:jaymon: I didn't try anymore for 3-4 months...<_<

In the end the bandages are not really useful on nightmare/insane (unless you manage to escape a chase while you're bleeding in some miracolous way), except a couple of sections where you could take damage, for example when you jump down from the roof of the school in Temple Gate (before the Martha cart section): simply jump at the end of the roof and you should avoid the damage. Another example could be the "King of the hill" chase in chapter 4 (before the chase I described earlier to the elevator): sometimes Blake takes a lot of time in order to crouch in the first part of the chase, and you could take one hit, but usually you shoul manage to escape, since here enemies are slower.

• Like 1

I wanna get a Platinum Walkthrough done for this as from a beginners perspective as per usual

But please give me some time as I have other stuff right now, but this is on my planned list to actually get to working on in a few weeks ;)

Edited by Optinooby

Managed to get all collectibles, recordings were pretty easy but documents I had to use a guide for, some of them are really missable and out of the way of the main path.

All that is left for platinum now is to complete the game in under 4 hours, on insane, in one battery, without hiding in a barrel or closet. Technically could be done in 1 run, but am I tough enough? ?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheBonobo4 said:

Managed to get all collectibles, recordings were pretty easy but documents I had to use a guide for, some of them are really missable and out of the way of the main path.

All that is left for platinum now is to complete the game in under 4 hours, on insane, in one battery, without hiding in a barrel or closet. Technically could be done in 1 run, but am I tough enough? 1f914.png

The speedrun trophy should be unmissable on an insane run, of course you can never be sure but yeah. As for the Prophet trophy, it's also very doable on your insane run. I got it before my insane run, (on my collectible run), but still didn't need to hide in any closets or barrels during insane mode. Up to you though.

• Like 1

The temptation of 6 trophies, and then a platinum, in a row, is hard to beat. ?

Question though, how does the game count time? This won't make sense for insane, since if you quit, turn off the ps4, or die you have to start again. But for say a nightmare run, if I save and quit is that allowed? Does pausing the game pause time? And if I die say 1 hour and 5 minutes in, and the last checkpoint was at 1 hour in, and then I get to a new checkpoint 10 minutes later, is my time recorded as 1 hour 10, or 1 hour 15, at that checkpoint?

10 minutes ago, TheBonobo4 said:

The temptation of 6 trophies, and then a platinum, in a row, is hard to beat. 1f911.png

Question though, how does the game count time? This won't make sense for insane, since if you quit, turn off the ps4, or die you have to start again. But for say a nightmare run, if I save and quit is that allowed? Does pausing the game pause time? And if I die say 1 hour and 5 minutes in, and the last checkpoint was at 1 hour in, and then I get to a new checkpoint 10 minutes later, is my time recorded as 1 hour 10, or 1 hour 15, at that checkpoint?

I found different answers to your question when I went for my plat run, so everytime I needed a break or whatever, I simply saved and quitted to main menu

Just to clarify, collectables are saved throughout all of your save files, picking up as many collectables as you can in one playthrough will have them saved in the next playthrough, but it's much simpler to just through chapter select to get them... 

I already have all the collectibles now, so any runs I do now I won't be going for them.

So... after a few test runs I've decided the ridiculousness of the situation. I'm going to try a nightmare run, not necessarily going for Asahel, but I'll certainly get beat hard, nightmare, and don't hide in a barrel or closet in that run. It'll be far less stressful than what I was trying. The thing is is that I've no experience of that difficulty, and don't know the game well enough to beat on insane yet, let alone in one battery.

Also, I managed to actually die in like the first minute of playing. After recording the dead pilot, I must have fallen off the cliff and died, it was pitch black and I just ran towards the light, literally. ?

I also died to the first Marta encounter. I didn't even think that was possible, maybe that's different from story mode to Insane? And then I died twice to the guys in the first corn field. The good news is that I did get to that point using barely any battery, and have up to that point pretty much memorised. But I'll do nightmare first like I said.

You're not alone with deaths at the beginning of the game. :giggle: I managed to die with the first person I found in the village at the beginning of the game. When you hear the whispers in the dark, you turn on the left and you should see a guy with a machete (which should run away). Probably I was really faster, since I went straight into him, but he killed me with one hit! :jaymon: Let this guy run away!

It's a good news if you're memorizing all the paths and using almost no batteries. I don't know of there's any difference in the enemies patterns between story mode and nightmare, but surely they are much faster, and probably this could be a huge surprise.

And you could do all of these trophies in one run (speedrun, no hiding, insane+messiah), but probably you'll need some attempts in oder to reach the end of the game. I didn't find really difficult the Prophet trophy, and actually I found that hiding in this game is pretty useless, since enemies always found me (even if they didn't see me where I hid, especially the heretics). Remember that there are a couple of the game where you're forced to hide (inside the chapel, after the first real demon chase and you need to hide into the locker in order to come back into reality), but these don't count for the trophy. And about the timer, it shouldn't reset after every death.

According to me, you should do a nightmare run in order to practice the "real" difficulty of the game, then an Asahel+Prophet run (or only a Prophet run. Maybe hiding could save your life in some chases, so leave this option available), a lot of practice in the hardest parts (for example, The Last Supper, the library maze, the mines, and also the last chases at the end of the game, like the final ones in the mines and Martha) and finally the insane+Messiah run (with also Asahel).

• Like 1

If im to work on a beginners platinum playthrough, think I can hit under 10hrs, then what do you think is the best routing?

Im thinking splitting everything between a easy and insane run so 2 playthroughs total

A lot of players do like to advise the best place to start is nightmare as it prepares you for insane, but I developed the belief a while back that that doesnt neccesarily work as intended

Learning a game on a hard difficulty can be taxing for some

I rather start on easy but employ all those INSANE TACTICS along it, even the restrictions. So although you are playing on a much different difficulty, you are more prepared since you have already rehearsed the tactics you will employ.

I did this on a RE0 guide of mine a while back, id start the reader on normal, but they would defeat bosses in the same way we do it on hard, collect/drop the same items we do on hard etc etc, worked quite well I think. Thing is, athough we are employing hard tactics, it allows breathing space due to being a lower difficulty!

Open to opinion, its a bit of a unusual way to approach it, but thats always been my view anyhow, easy rehearsing insane best u can and then insane.

So using that, easy and insane, what do you think the best way is to share the trophies between them??

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Optinooby said:

If im to work on a beginners platinum playthrough, think I can hit under 10hrs, then what do you think is the best routing?

Im thinking splitting everything between a easy and insane run so 2 playthroughs total

A lot of players do like to advise the best place to start is nightmare as it prepares you for insane, but I developed the belief a while back that that doesnt neccesarily work as intended

Learning a game on a hard difficulty can be taxing for some

I rather start on easy but employ all those INSANE TACTICS along it, even the restrictions. So although you are playing on a much different difficulty, you are more prepared since you have already rehearsed the tactics you will employ.

I did this on a RE0 guide of mine a while back, id start the reader on normal, but they would defeat bosses in the same way we do it on hard, collect/drop the same items we do on hard etc etc, worked quite well I think. Thing is, athough we are employing hard tactics, it allows breathing space due to being a lower difficulty!

Open to opinion, its a bit of a unusual way to approach it, but thats always been my view anyhow, easy rehearsing insane best u can and then insane.

So using that, easy and insane, what do you think the best way is to share the trophies between them??

Having completed a number of platinums using your guides, whichever way you think is best is fine with me :D. From a personal point of view, doing an easy play through has always been better for me. I did mass effect Andromeda recently doing an easy play through then an insanity one and that was far better than learning on hard. This also reminds me I need to finish hard mode RE0 to get the plat. May have to dig that guide back out.

EDIT: In terms of what way to do the trophies, haven't started yet but I'm about to, I would say do the speed run and collectibles trophy on the first easy run and any misc that may come along. Then try to get any remaining on insane. I see there is one to do with not hiding which is probably best on easy. Using bandages probably best on insane unless they are reduced in number on insane. Will have a look at the rest of the list later.

Edited by Malachen
Additional stuff about trophies

1 hour ago, Malachen said:

Having completed a number of platinums using your guides, whichever way you think is best is fine with me :D. From a personal point of view, doing an easy play through has always been better for me. I did mass effect Andromeda recently doing an easy play through then an insanity one and that was far better than learning on hard. This also reminds me I need to finish hard mode RE0 to get the plat. May have to dig that guide back out.

EDIT: In terms of what way to do the trophies, haven't started yet but I'm about to, I would say do the speed run and collectibles trophy on the first easy run and any misc that may come along. Then try to get any remaining on insane. I see there is one to do with not hiding which is probably best on easy. Using bandages probably best on insane unless they are reduced in number on insane. Will have a look at the rest of the list later.

Het bud, thanks for the vote of confidence ;D

I would route it all myself anyway, just having a sense of direction before I begin cant hurt!

Wouldnt likely get to it until nearer the end of the year anyhow, so wont be done until sometime in Jan!

Ref RE0, im currently revisiting that doing vids with commentary for it. Letting you know if you prefer that to text!

What im reading is that people are finding it difficult, but it is a short game so that is a plus, hoping it wont take too much time.

Think im going to follow that Plat Walkthrough here, but on easy, then that will give me a good overview of what needs to be done, then can begin structuring a simpler walkthrough from there!

Ive never played an Outlast game, im hoping its going to be pretty fun ;)