Outlast 2 Platinum Playthrough

mariosF94

So.... I'm feeling pretty defeated. I've started my nightmare run and I'm amazed by both how much I don't remember of the game, (I remember stuff but then there's loads where I'm stumped or lost or confused or all of the above), but also how much harder nightmare is to story mode. There are less batteries and bandages, which I can handle, but there are more enemies, who often you can't just run past, as they block where you need to go.

Also, I've used up about 1.5 batteries already, I think. I've replaced it twice, and I've tried to use as little as I can. But like I said earlier, there's a lot I don't remember so have to use battery. And I've died a lot, maybe 15 times? And I'm only at the part with Marta and the cart over the fence (which I'm stumped at, she is very fast and I don't know where to hide).

Oh and I accidentally hid in a locker for like 3 seconds in a school sequence, I'm guessing that means I won't get the don't hide in a barrel or closet trophy in this run? Although, *technically* a locker is not a closet. Still, 2 golds in one run is pretty good, if I actually finish this run before going crazy.

Long story short, I'm feeling pretty low and defeated. :(

12 minutes ago, TheBonobo4 said:

So.... I'm feeling pretty defeated. I've started my nightmare run and I'm amazed by both how much I don't remember of the game, (I remember stuff but then there's loads where I'm stumped or lost or confused or all of the above), but also how much harder nightmare is to story mode. There are less batteries and bandages, which I can handle, but there are more enemies, who often you can't just run past, as they block where you need to go.

Also, I've used up about 1.5 batteries already, I think. I've replaced it twice, and I've tried to use as little as I can. But like I said earlier, there's a lot I don't remember so have to use battery. And I've died a lot, maybe 15 times? And I'm only at the part with Marta and the cart over the fence (which I'm stumped at, she is very fast and I don't know where to hide).

Oh and I accidentally hid in a locker for like 3 seconds in a school sequence, I'm guessing that means I won't get the don't hide in a barrel or closet trophy in this run? Although, *technically* a locker is not a closet. Still, 2 golds in one run is pretty good, if I actually finish this run before going crazy.

Long story short, I'm feeling pretty low and defeated. :(

I don't think hiding in lockers void the trophy as at some times you are forced to hide in them. I recommend following the video in my og post while you play to start memorizing strategies or help you make your own. Don't give up now, you just haven't learned the game yet. I'm sure you'll get there!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheBonobo4 said:

And I'm only at the part with Marta and the cart over the fence (which I'm stumped at, she is very fast and I don't know where to hide).

On nightmare this part is sometimes unpredictable. At the beginning push the cart until Martha appears, then start running around the huge building until you reach the hole in the fence (which is on the right of the cart). Otherwise, you can hide directly through the hole without running around. Then, push again the cart and Martha will break the fence. Now, you should hide behind the fence through the hole, and make Martha go from one side to another until she loses you (she shouldn't scream anymore and should go away). Go out and push again the cart. Sometimes you can manage to reach the end and escape from this area (it always happened to me in the 1.02 version, but not anymore in 1.04-1.05), but usually you should hear (again) her scream, so watch your back while you're pushing the cart. She should come from the right building (if you're watching back, otherwise is the left building if you're facing the cart), so you should run through the broken fence and around the building (or using again the hole in the fence and going from one side to another). When you get rid of her, you can (finally!) push the cart and escape.

I'm not sure about the Prophet trophy, but a school locker is a closet. But you should see at the end of the game if it voided the trophy or not.

The Messiah run is a tough challenge, but don't give up! You need to learn every single section and all the extra enemies pattern. :)

I mean, I did the insane run in Outlast after 7 attempts, 1st try in the Whistleblower, and "only" 16 attempts in Outlast II (and after months where I left the game, so, when I picked it again, I needed a nightmare speedrun in order to regain the game controls). So it wasn't very easy, some runs were really frustrating, even if I knew every single pixel of the game, since I did two perfect runs on nightmare, but on insane I always managed to do some stupid mistake (or enemies behave in a different way, or, worst case scenario, a bug messed up my run. Another example: 15th attempt, chapter 5, last Val's chase where you have to crouch through the tunnels. Well, Blake stopped moving in the first tunnel, he found an invisible wall, I pressed every single button on the pad, but nothing, Val reached me and killed me...??).

• Like 1

Just tried a few more times to get past Marta. Might have to look at that video, because I've died like 20 times and I'm stumped. Normally I know how to do something but can't, due to lack of luck or skill or both, but this I'm stumped. I push the cart, she appears, I hide in the hole (sometimes I die even before getting into the hole), she breaks the fence, I push some more, then run and she kills me. There is nowhere to hide that isn't a barrel. And she seems to move as fast as Blake does even sprinting.

21 hours ago, TheBonobo4 said:

Just tried a few more times to get past Marta. Might have to look at that video, because I've died like 20 times and I'm stumped. Normally I know how to do something but can't, due to lack of luck or skill or both, but this I'm stumped. I push the cart, she appears, I hide in the hole (sometimes I die even before getting into the hole), she breaks the fence, I push some more, then run and she kills me. There is nowhere to hide that isn't a barrel. And she seems to move as fast as Blake does even sprinting.

Unfortunately Martha, on nightmare difficulty, is really fast! Hiding in this part is useless, because she finds you, so you need to run away and lose her. Your first part seems right (push, Martha appears, and you hide), but I think that, when she breaks the fence, you keep pushing the cart and, when you leave it, it should be too late. Am I right? When she appeared again, I always stopped pushing the cart and I ran away, hiding through the hole in the fence.

There are a lot of guides on Youtube. PS4Trophies made two videos: an entire insane run (well, actually, is insane+final chapters on nightmare, since 1.00 could crash during insane run), and a second update to 1.03, with all the differences.

After the minute 13:00 there's the cart section with Martha. It was the same strategy I used in this part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqcH9miC3ZQ

Watch also the video in the first page, since you can see the differences between the two updates. But I still believe that they made Martha more annoying in this part with the latest update.

• Like 1

Yes, I started watching PS4Troohies video earlier today, not yet up to the Marta cart bit, but so far I'm thinking I could maybe get up to this point without dying, but of course that's not guaranteed, and I've died a lot on my nightmare run. This game is really hard on nightmare, let alone insane. A lot of stuff could throw me, like the Marta elevator part which took a few tries, or the part before where about 3 people appear at once just before you reach the generator for the elevator. This game is hard, if I ever plat it I think it'll be my best plat ever, and likely for a long time.

Oh and did I mention this game is hard? ;)

• Like 3

20 hours ago, TheBonobo4 said:

Oh and did I mention this game is hard? ;)

Wait until you reach the joys of chapter 2. Nick&Laird will show you around and have a good ol time with ya. I daresay if it weren't for these clowns, the platinum rarity would be way above 5%. Not sure how others think about the difference between Nightmare and Insane difficulty, but I am quite certain they are not the same. I know Insane is just supposed to have the permadeath added, but I have seen encounters completely go south in ways I have never seen while doing practice runs on Nightmare, too many times for it to be a coincidence, so maybe you have that to look forward to as well.

59 minutes ago, Riglio_93 said:

I died in the last meeting with Marta, no comment :(

That is soul crushing, and here I thought fucking up the jump after Vals mine encounter was a shitty way to die. How did you end up dying there, did you lose your way during the chase or did Marta cut you off?

Edited by Nighcisama
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nighcisama said:

Aspetta di raggiungere le gioie del capitolo 2. Nick & Laird ti mostrerà in giro e divertiti con te. Oserei dire che se non fosse per questi pagliacci, la rarità del platino sarebbe molto superiore al 5%. Non sono sicuro di come gli altri pensino alla differenza tra Incubo e Insane difficoltà, ma sono abbastanza certo che non siano gli stessi. So che Insane dovrebbe solo avere il permadeath aggiunto, ma ho visto degli incontri andare completamente a sud in modi che non ho mai visto mentre facevo prove su Nightmare, troppe volte perché sia una coincidenza, quindi forse devi guardarlo avanti pure.

È un'anima schiacciante, e qui ho pensato di fottere il salto dopo che il mio incontro di Vals era un modo merdoso di morire. Come sei finito a morire lì, ti sei perso durante l'inseguimento o Marta ti ha tagliato fuori?

Before escaping I didn't wait for those 2 seconds and so I found Marta at the intersection, i will try again for sure ?

• Like 2

Just tried a tactic I think I found on a walkthrough for Marta hay cart, which is to push a bit, then when she comes at you run around the big building anti clockwise, then go under the little hole in the fence and push some more, then she breaks the fence down, so run around again, again under the hole. But she kills me each time, this game has me so defeated. :(

Just tried a tactic I think I found on a walkthrough for Marta hay cart, which is to push a bit, then when she comes at you run around the big building anti clockwise, then go under the little hole in the fence and push some more, then she breaks the fence down, so run around again, again under the hole. But she kills me each time, this game has me so defeated. :(

She can't kill you in the whole if you change sides. When she runs to the side you are on you simply sneak to the other and out of sight and she will start wandering off allowing you to push the cart.  I did it 4 pushes total. You can push it pretty damn far the first time you do it, you can push it for a second or 2 even after she broken the fence.

This is what works best imo. @ 33:25

There are ways to run around the whole place and do the cart in 2 pushes total, but i found that alot less reliable.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2019 at 0:21 AM, TheBonobo4 said:

I never died in Marta section with this strategy:

- push the cart until she appears

- immediately leave the cart and go through the hole in the fence waiting she destroys the other part of the fence

- the moment you see her far, go through the other part of the hole and look her feet on your right through the hole (don't stay too near to the hole or you will be grabbed), she will run back from the destroyed fence. Wait to see her and go through the hole again and try to stay in the dark.

- now staying in the dark look what she does.

1. if she screams, she will go through the destroyed fence to kill you. Go to the other point in the hole
  2. if the music stops, stay in the dark something like 10 seconds

- So, if the music is quite go to push the cart

1. Now, usually you can push the cart a bit. If you are lucky more than a bit
  2. If you are not lucky, by the time you hear the scream, she can come from 2 directions: the destroyed fence at your right or from the house at your left. In BOTH cases when you hear the scream, leave the cart and IMMEDIATELY go to end of the cart on the other side (something like ->  YOU [CART] MARTA) and LOOK where she goes. If right go left and viceversa. In both cases when she surrounds the cart, run and go to the hole

- Rinse and repeat

Edited by X_Wizi_X
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Riglio_93 said:

I did it, this time Marta didn't fuck me. I think I deserved this platinum :D

Congratulations! I think anyone who gets this platinum deserves it (I mean that applies for any non hacked trophy to be fair), but yeah, this one is stupidly difficult in my opinion.

• Like 1

Congratulazioni! Penso che chiunque ottenga questo platino se lo meriti (voglio dire che vale per qualsiasi trofeo non hackerato per essere onesti), ma sì, questo è stupidamente difficile secondo me.

Thank you! It's hard but with a little training you do everything ;)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheBonobo4 said:

Sto pensando di poter battere l'incubo (se mai avrò superato questo carro di fieno con Marta), ma folle (con una batteria) sarà qualcos'altro. :(

For Marta follow this video(min 44:30)

Practice nightmare several times and it won't be a problem :)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TheBonobo4 said:

Grazie. Ho visto diversi tutorial ora, è solo un caso di determinare il piano migliore e di essere fortunato a realizzarlo. Fortunatamente, se tutto va secondo i piani, questo gioco non mi spaventa. A questo punto, se muoio, sono frustrato o ridendo.

Deaths must be taken as game lessons, good luck man ;)

• Like 1

Good news everyone!

I finally managed to get past the Marta hay cart part, but I think I got lucky, I would not want to try that on insane. She actually grabbed me at one point which did damage, then grabbed me again as I climbed the fence, but this is scripted so you can't die. So I made it but had to use a bandage. Plus it still took about 10 tries (today, not in total), before I got over the fence.

After that, the next main issue I had was the (surprise, surprise) next Marta part, in the abattoir. The chase is in 2 parts, sort of. The first is getting the hook, then the 2nd is getting to the shed and escaping. At this point I got lost completely, and kept forgetting where to go, so this is something else I need to revise and study. Hiding from Marta is difficult even if I knew where to go. I was also scared she would kill me as I was pulling the chain to open the escape, fortunately she did not.

Next tough point was the first encounter with Nick and Laird, you essentially have to run past them but they block the way, so I sort of crouched by a tent and sprinted past them. It worked, but required luck, so maybe there's a better way. Naturally I got lost the first time I tried and died. Fortunately the solution is simple, you just slide through a small gap in the wall.

Can't really remember exactly what happens after that, but the part after you get crucified was tough until I figured out a strategy, sort of. There is a hidden enemy by a fire you can crawl past, get a bandage, heal and then crawl past a woman, she'll attack you, fight her off then sprint to the cliff and climb up before another man with a knife kills you. Took a few tries, mainly because I didn't see camp fire enemy, and got lost running to the exit. I think on story mode there's no enemy by the fire. I actually got kinda lucky in a way, I got hit by the man with the knife, then jumped down the cliff to escape and died, but it saved. So as I reloaded I was on full health with no bandages, essentially as it should be since you get no batteries or bandages after freeing yourself from the crucifixion.

Found the camera okay, from memory there aren't many enemies any way, then the school sequence wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, main problem really is that it is quite dark, and I died trying to get in the locker (margin for error seems very small, you have to get the exact locker).

Which then brings us to the Nick and Laird part with flaking arrows. That's now where I'm up to, and stuck. There is a bandage and a battery thankfully (not that the battery is of any use for the messiah run). But I actually got to the cliff where you have to walk slowly through to escape, hugging the cliff, twice. Both times about 2 seconds in Nick got me and killed me. I actually didn't know they could grab or kill you at that point, so I'll need to find a strategy besides crouching slowly towards the exit, and then sprinting to the finish, staying in the darkened forest.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TheBonobo4 said:

After that, the next main issue I had was the (surprise, surprise) next Marta part, in the abattoir. The chase is in 2 parts, sort of. The first is getting the hook, then the 2nd is getting to the shed and escaping. At this point I got lost completely, and kept forgetting where to go, so this is something else I need to revise and study. Hiding from Marta is difficult even if I knew where to go. I was also scared she would kill me as I was pulling the chain to open the escape, fortunately she did not.

NWh2aps.png

wYeak4m.png

The checkpoint is the moment where she will spawn. Go behind the tree on your left and lie down

nbJvFht.png

Wait for she goes completely on your right and RUN through the gate on the left (take the hook).

hqleH5U.png

Once you have the hook, she will not spawn until you pass this point

nhfX3mB.png

• Like 2