What is the possibility of a homebrew system for all/most disc based games?

Willreaper41

What I mean is years ago I found a console that could play most cartridge based games, all sega and Nintendo ones NA and JP anyway. Didn't have the money for it at the time, wish I could find it again now but I understand it ran into some legal trouble. Is there any possibility of a similar deal for classic disc based systems like Sega CD, Saturn, dreamcast, PS1 and so on? I have a bunch of old school games NA and JP but not the time or money to get all the different region consoles I would need. I understand there are certain limits or requirements on the software and reader but I'm not very savvy on the tech side.

Only way someone is making that for other people is if they’re going to at least recoup costs. Doesn’t seem like there’s a huge market for what you’re asking for.

I think largely computers do what you’re asking for so separate dedicated hardware doesn’t seem feasible from a business aspect.

1 hour ago, Willreaper41 said:

years ago I found a console that could play most cartridge based games, all sega and Nintendo ones NA and JP anyway.

You may be thinking of the Retron 5. It plays NES, Famicom, Super Nintendo, Super Famicom, Genesis, Mega Drive, Game Boy, Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance games. 

https://hyperkin.com/Retron5/

If I'm not mistaken, there are companies working to do exactly what you're asking for early disc based consoles. Like most emulators, the experience isn't exactly the same as actual hardware but it is largely the same. I haven't heard of any progress for quite some time, but it may have been Hyperkin that were talking about working on disc based consoles next. 

Parker

Pretty sure you're talking either about the Hyperkin RetroN 5 or the Retro Freak gaming consoles at first, right? I remember wanting one of those about a year ago too, but in the end, I decided to opt for emulation on a laptop instead. These types of projects are pretty cool for collectors, I must admit. If you own a large collection of physical games I can totally tune in on the appeal you find on them. Even though I went for the PC emulation route, I still find these consoles kind of cool in their own unique way.

Now, in regards to what you're seeking, yes. There exists a project for it, and that's the Polymega gaming console. At the moment, it's a console with a modular design that it's planning to be able to play up to 30 different types of gaming consoles, including some early CD-based consoles, such as the PS1, Sega Saturn, Sega CD, Neo Geo CD, as well as a variety of games from the NES, SNES, Genesis, TG-16, Sega 32x, and their respective regional variants. My memory is pretty bad at the moment. I don't know if it was already released or if it is set to release in 2020. It's going to cost a pretty penny. If memory serves me right, the pre-orders were available some time ago for around USD $300.

Again, I haven't really checked about it in a long time, but it's a project worth talking about since I think it caters exactly to what you're looking for. My friend @ShonenCat probably knows way more about it than I do, so he could probably fill you in.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Honor_Hand said:

Now, in regards to what you're seeking, yes. There exists a project for it, and that's the Polymega gaming console.

Damn I was just wondering from a technical perspective if it was even possible but that sounds sweet. If they could add like N64, gameboy and dreamcast I would be set. Sounds like they could as well and I love that it can save entire games, imagine that would need a big memory card though. Gonna need a hell of a lot of over time pay though.

8 minutes ago, Willreaper41 said:

Damn I was just wondering from a technical perspective if it was even possible but that sounds sweet. If they could add like N64, gameboy and dreamcast I would be set. Sounds like they could as well and I love that it can save entire games, imagine that would need a big memory card though. Gonna need a hell of a lot of over time pay though.

Yeah, the whole thing is super sweet. It's really only lacking those and maybe GC, PS2 and Xbox, but overall, the amount of systems it can emulate is pretty amazing. Its main hurdle is really the high cost it carries. I already had a hard time justifying the $120-150 needed for the RetroN 5 but this one is a lot more, and each module will also cost extra, so it all adds up in the end. ?

Since you mentioned homebrew, I found the Nintendo Wii to be a perfect console when it comes to combing many different consoles due to countless emulators (or the virtual console if you happen to find one with games on it) and the ability to play Gamecube games as well.