Ultimate Collector Tracking

PFinchen

Now that we’re two months in, hows everybody doing on this trophy? I’m up to 341 cards, I feel a bit behind pace but I haven’t done a ton of domination yet. Mostly accruing VC through MyCareer (just started my 2nd season) and buying packs that way. 

Edited by PFinchen

IIRC, I am a little over 1,000 but I have done every regular collection except the Bucks, Nets, Lakers, Rockets, Clippers, and Warriors, and possibly one other which have expensive amethyst cards (those prices will keep dropping).

I did one each for Heat Check East and West teams to get the extra bonus reward tokens but as I expected, those card prices are dropping fast.  Down to 2,500 Buy Now from 5,000+ just a few weeks ago.  I expect the cheaper ones will be 1500-2000 during HC promos.

I am most of the way through the 2nd Board of Domination, great way to get unique cards.  And I bought any cheap special cards (less than 2K).

So you are doing just fine at this stage.  I know you have VC which can only be spent on packs but I never buy packs with coins (the return is lousy).  You should learn the price of certain cards and work the Auction House to snipe and/or re-list for a profit to build up coins.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, djb5f said:

IIRC, I am a little over 1,000 but I have done every regular collection except the Bucks, Nets, Lakers, Rockets, Clippers, and Warriors, and possibly one other which have expensive amethyst cards (those prices will keep dropping).

I did one each for Heat Check East and West teams to get the extra bonus reward tokens but as I expected, those card prices are dropping fast.  Down to 2,500 Buy Now from 5,000+ just a few weeks ago.  I expect the cheaper ones will be 1500-2000 during HC promos.

I am most of the way through the 2nd Board of Domination, great way to get unique cards.  And I bought any cheap special cards (less than 2K).

So you are doing just fine at this stage.  I know you have VC which can only be spent on packs but I never buy packs with coins (the return is lousy).  You should learn the price of certain cards and work the Auction House to snipe and/or re-list for a profit to build up coins.

That’s a good tip. I know the return on VC isn’t great, but when I buy dupes it at least allows me to do a sort of currency exchange for MyTeam points. I just usually prefer playing MyCareer, although I do like banging out the weekly challenges, triple threat offline, and the occasional domination games. I did at least get the amethyst Bryant Reeves evolution card that can go up to diamond (IIRC), as well as some fun ruby cars specific to the pack set, so it’s not like packs have been a total bust. 

Edited by PFinchen
  • Like 1

Im at 1100 something. I think the max you can get right now is like 1800 or something like that. I watch 2k youtubers and they have Collector Level Baller which means its like 1800 cards. I have basically completed domintation and all the weekly challenges and spotlight series. I have like 304 wins in TTO which I find very boring when I play like 3 games.

Edited by DUHDUM
  • Like 1

Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question because I'm not too familiar with how MyTEAM works yet but do I even have a chance to get Ultimate Collector if I start to work on it now ? Is there too many cards I can't get already ? I'm not a huge fanatic of the NBA 2k series but as a basket ball enthusiast I can afford playing the game a lot from now if I know that I can complete it.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2019 at 6:20 AM, Badgetone said:

Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question because I'm not too familiar with how MyTEAM works yet but do I even have a chance to get Ultimate Collector if I start to work on it now ? Is there too many cards I can't get already ? I'm not a huge fanatic of the NBA 2k series but as a basket ball enthusiast I can afford playing the game a lot from now if I know that I can complete it.

Not a dumb question at all. I’m not the best person to answer, as this is the first year I’ve gone for it, but the pace set by djb5f and DUHDUM would indicate you’re not too late. I’m up to about 470 cards or so, so I’m not nearly as far along as they are. Admittedly, you may need to hit it pretty hard. 

Edited by PFinchen
  • Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 9:20 AM, Badgetone said:

4 hours ago, PFinchen said:

Not a dumb question at all. I’m not the best person to answer, as this is the first year I’ve gone for it, but the pace set by djb5f and DUHDUM would indicate you’re not too late. I’m up to about 470 cards or so, so I’m not nearly as far along as they are. Admittedly, you may need to hit it pretty hard. 

Not at all too late.  I obtained GOAT (2500 cards) for NBA 2K19 and did not get the game until All-Star break; granted I spent some money along the way on MT but got it back after selling my cards once I hit my collection goal.  You are in good shape now as long as you realize it is a grind and won't happen until the Summer and keep in mind that prices on Ruby cards and above will keep dropping as they continue to release better cards so don't overspend now. 

The cards you want to buy now are the newly released cards (not the high end ones though) as the supply is huge and you can get cheap now.  Like Lights Out, Spotlight series, Moments of the Week, etc. when they are still in packs.

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 4:28 PM, PFinchen said:

That’s a good tip. I know the return on VC isn’t great, but when I buy dupes it at least allows me to do a sort of currency exchange for MyTeam points. I just usually prefer playing MyCareer, although I do like banging out the weekly challenges, triple threat offline, and the occasional domination games. I did at least get the amethyst Bryant Reeves evolution card that can go up to diamond (IIRC), as well as some fun ruby cars specific to the pack set, so it’s not like packs have been a total bust. 

Don't you sort of need the VC in My Career to level up your player so as to make the trophies easier?  I spent most of mine on packs and regret it as I would like to level up My Career player quicker.  Also, to obtain some of those trophies, I will probably need a 2nd build (possibly 3rd?) as I don't think my player is built to get them all.  Slashing/Driving SF without great shooting skill so 15 3's in a game seems like a stretch as does 20 defensive rebounds, maybe steals or blocks, etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, djb5f said:

Not at all too late.  I obtained GOAT (2500 cards) for NBA 2K19 and did not get the game until All-Star break; granted I spent some money along the way on MT but got it back after selling my cards once I hit my collection goal.  You are in good shape now as long as you realize it is a grind and won't happen until the Summer and keep in mind that prices on Ruby cards and above will keep dropping as they continue to release better cards so don't overspend now. 

The cards you want to buy now are the newly released cards (not the high end ones though) as the supply is huge and you can get cheap now.  Like Lights Out, Spotlight series, Moments of the Week, etc. when they are still in packs.

Don't you sort of need the VC in My Career to level up your player so as to make the trophies easier?  I spent most of mine on packs and regret it as I would like to level up My Career player quicker.  Also, to obtain some of those trophies, I will probably need a 2nd build (possibly 3rd?) as I don't think my player is built to get them all.  Slashing/Driving SF without great shooting skill so 15 3's in a game seems like a stretch as does 20 defensive rebounds, maybe steals or blocks, etc.

Yes you do, but I fully maxed my stats already. Even before you fully max, once you get above 85 overall or so, you’re likely going to be accruing VC faster than you’re unlocking extra attribute points to spend said VC.

As far as the 20 rebounds goes, just load up your defensive badges on Rebound Chaser and you’ll be fine (I did it with a 6’5 PG), and you can reallocate them anytime you level up or once you’ve filled out that particular badge. Same can be said for hitting 3s. Depending on your play style, load up on Volume Shooter and probably Catch and Shoot and then force it a bit. I hit a lot of threes just running around a pick and roll so that could be a good strategy to employ. 

Edited by PFinchen
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, PFinchen said:

Yes you do, but I fully maxed my stats already. Even before you fully max, once you get above 85 overall or so, you’re likely going to be accruing VC faster than you’re unlocking extra attribute points to spend said VC.

As far as the 20 rebounds goes, just load up your defensive badges on Rebound Chaser and you’ll be fine (I did it with a 6’5 PG), and you can reallocate them anytime you level up or once you’ve filled out that particular badge. Same can be said for hitting 3s. Depending on your play style, load up on Volume Shooter and probably Catch and Shoot and then force it a bit. I hit a lot of threes just running around a pick and roll so that could be a good strategy to employ. 

Thanks, I did not realize that you could reallocate badges (not that I have unlocked many), that is nice.  Wish you could also reallocate attributes.  I am probably only 15 games in or so, and am not a starter yet even though I keep getting Player of the Game.  Silly coach.  Once I switched to longer games to build up stats, they take a long time!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, djb5f said:

Thanks, I did not realize that you could reallocate badges (not that I have unlocked many), that is nice.  Wish you could also reallocate attributes.  I am probably only 15 games in or so, and am not a starter yet even though I keep getting Player of the Game.  Silly coach.  Once I switched to longer games to build up stats, they take a long time!

Can you alter your build mid career? I believe you can but I could’ve misinterpreted the option, that may help you though long term. Could get your shooting skills to have a higher ceiling. 

On 13/11/2019 at 3:56 PM, PFinchen said:

20 hours ago, djb5f said:

Thanks for the answers ! I'm gonna start to work on it this weekend :) 

• 1 month later...

Finally made it past 1650. Might push to have the next collector level (1750 cards) done by this time next week.

On PS4, the first person in the world to hit the 2150 card milestone did so just a week and a half ago, so we still have quite some time before GOAT collector is even obtainable.

This weekend will definitely be a good time to try to target some of the Moments of the Week cards because they are all back in packs. I wouldn't suggest locking in sets or buying the diamonds in any sets, but the emeralds through rubies for most sets should be quite cheap, and you might even be able to pick up some of the more recent amethysts at a reasonable price.

There are two unexpected exceptions to this: the sapphires in Moments of the Week 5 are currently selling for 28-32k. Also, the PJ Washington from Moments of the Week 1 is selling for around 24-28k. If you have these saved from when they were released, sell them ASAP. You won't have too many chances to make a 30x return on MT investment.This should definitely serve as an example of why its good to buy up the cheap cards in sets when they are newly released, especially if that set has a good completion reward.

Edited by Andrea9281
  • Like 1

On 12/28/2019 at 0:30 AM, Andrea9281 said:

Finally made it past 1650. Might push to have the next collector level (1750 cards) done by this time next week.

On PS4, the first person in the world to hit the 2150 card milestone did so just a week and a half ago, so we still have quite some time before GOAT collector is even obtainable.

This weekend will definitely be a good time to try to target some of the Moments of the Week cards because they are all back in packs. I wouldn't suggest locking in sets or buying the diamonds in any sets, but the emeralds through rubies for most sets should be quite cheap, and you might even be able to pick up some of the more recent amethysts at a reasonable price.

There are two unexpected exceptions to this: the sapphires in Moments of the Week 5 are currently selling for 28-32k. Also, the PJ Washington from Moments of the Week 1 is selling for around 24-28k. If you have these saved from when they were released, sell them ASAP. You won't have too many chances to make a 30x return on MT investment.This should definitely serve as an example of why its good to buy up the cheap cards in sets when they are newly released, especially if that set has a good completion reward.

Nice work Andrea! I’m currently up to 1150 cards. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Big update to this trophy today: 2k added 413 cards in a " '20 Current Series II" set. It's now possible to get probably pretty close to 2600 cards, and we have the three different jerseys coming at some point that could be potentially 90+ more cards (depending on if every team gets one and if there are set rewards.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andrea9281 said:

Big update to this trophy today: 2k added 413 cards in a " '20 Current Series II" set. It's now possible to get probably pretty close to 2600 cards, and we have the three different jerseys coming at some point that could be potentially 90+ more cards (depending on if every team gets one and if there are set rewards.)

yes, I just saw that myself.  Was thinking it was more like 450 cards (15 cards per 30 teams) but it sounds like you looked up the # of cards as 413.  Still pretty good and yeah I saw about more jerseys too.

Any idea on where historical cards are?  They are in the search filter but no spot for them in collections yet.  I hope they are still adding those like other years.  Any news on these?

I have exactly 1900 cards.  On my way...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

With the release of the jersey cards and a new theme set on Friday, this trophy is now obtainable legitimately. We still have likely 4 months of card releases at least, so honestly this trophy shouldn't be too bad if you are patient and put the time into it.

For my part, I cleared 2150 cards yesterday. A long way to go, but I still have about 500 cards to collect from the heat check, '20 NBA series 2, and city/statement/classic jerseys.

I've been continuing to buy cards (especially series 2 golds) for under 1k, and bidding for silvers and heat check players at 1.2k or so. The maximum I'll spent on any card for now is 2k, which I've done a couple times to finish sets or to buy cards before they go out of packs.

• Like 1

As of today I have 2808.... That's all current NBA, current Series 2, and heat check..... moments I'm missing around 20 of the spendy pink diamonds....as for rewards I'm missing... 1 amethyst, 4 diamonds, 1 pd, 5 opals, 10 balls that are more difficult, the 7 unlimited ones... Nightmares lol, and 1 checklist reward. Spotlights I'm missing 14. And triple threat 5. 

Premium I am missing a total of 16. I'm not blowing my MT on the opals if I don't need too. Have all uniforms, coaches, playbooks, arenas, logos and everything in the miscellaneous tab. 

So total right now I'm missing approximately 80 some cards... 

That being said...still need a few more cards to come out so it's feasible.

Edited by Paully3433
  • Like 1

On 3/4/2020 at 6:59 PM, King Hayes said:

Do you guys have any tips to increase card count? Just reached 750. Haven't played the game for a couple months, got lucky and pulled that galaxy opal TMac too. 

Sell your Galaxy Opal TMac, and you'll obviously be able to buy more cards.  @Paully3433 I have 2750.  Those spotlights :facepalm: 

Edited by grimydawg

@grimydawg right... Those spotlights take some time and planning. I'm hoping I don't have to grind for those pink diamond moments or any of the Opals .... huge chunks of MT for cards I'll never use lol and unlimited is a pain in the ass.

On 3/4/2020 at 5:59 PM, King Hayes said:

Do you guys have any tips to increase card count? Just reached 750. Haven't played the game for a couple months, got lucky and pulled that galaxy opal TMac too. 

Also sell all shoe cards and injury cards for extra MT

• Like 2

And we get another Flash Pack today with 6 cards ?. I'll be opening a bunch of packs. @King Hayes if you want some cheap cards message me. Paully3433. I'll connect with you and tell you prices and post them for you. 

Or anyone else interested ?

Edited by Paully3433
Added to the post

We need a whole set of Historic cards like in past iterations of NBA 2K.  That could be an extra 300 cards (10 historic players x 30 teams),  but maybe they aren’t going to release them this time?

Releasing a few new cards a week does very little to get the count up, it is time for some big release (like we had with Series II Current).