EdwardTheMartyr

This game is underrated

19 posts in this topic

This game received a mountain of hate when it released. I saw user reviews saying the graphics were terrible and N64 level. I strongly disagree.

 

Sure the graphics and gameplay aren't anything special, but it's perfectly playable. There is tons of fanservice from the sound effects to the locations from the movie. My friend is a diehard fan of Aliens, and he thinks it's fine too.

My guess is that people were disappointed with the graphics. I play lots of retro games and can enjoy PS1 shooters. I'm ok with the graphics. I just wish Alien 3 didn't kill the franchise for me. Alien, Aliens, and Aliens: Colonial Marines are the only things I care for in this franchise.

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the problem is people let themselves get hyped to ungodly levels so were very disappointed when it came out.

 

Also the images were released turned out to be a lie so when it finally came out it was also a let down.

 

I kept telling people back in the day (and still do) to calm down on the hype but those people never listen and then spend months bitching about how they were taken while at the same time hyping up some other game.

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amen to that! Yes, this game has more than its fair share of issues but I still had an absolute blast playing it when going for the Platinum/100% and regard it as one of my favourite film tie-in games :). For another perspective, see here:

 

 

I think the reason why I love this and Duke Nukem Forever as much as I do, is because I didn't let myself get sucked into the years of hype that had built up behind them and paid very little attention to the marketing so had no expectations going into them for the first time. My personal score is a solid 7.5/10.

Edited by HuntingFever
Fixed typos.
3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There have been so many videos of people running into horrendous bugs and problems that this game can't be considered anything other than atrocious, at least not on release day, it might be better now. The main problem most people had with it was not that it was a 1/10 game by itself, it was slightly better than that despite all its flaws, the problem was all the broken promises, the baseless overhype and things not working properly, people were extremely disappointed and rightfully so. Also, pathological liar and professional douchebag Randy Pitchford doing his absolute best to further antagonize the gaming community after he himself woefully misrepresented what the final game would look and play like was a milestone in anti consumer behavior and showing open contempt for fans of the series. Current disaster games like Fallout76 or Ghost Recon Breakpoint might make that whole fiasco look harmless in comparison now, but back in 2013 when this turd released, standards weren't quite as low as they are today yet so many people took issue with how the aliens license and customers were treated.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the biggest issue people had with the game is the straight up lies told by Randy Pitchford, combined with the screenshots and "gameplay" that also turned out to be fake. People had high expectations because the game being shown off pre-release seemed fantastic, when the actual game released it was nothing like what was promised so I can understand the hate the game got. 

 

Personally, I didn't really follow the development of the game and as such, I enjoyed my time with it as well. I didn't think it was amazing, but certainly worth my time to play through the campaign. 

 

 

Parker

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I remember correctly it had a cool collectors edition? 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you let trophies, platinum and 100% completion possibilities, eyecandy or reviews make your gaming choices, you are going to miss out on quite a bit of enjoyment.

 

Image result for old gamer meme

 

 

 

 

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Underrated? Hell no. It's not the absolute worst game ever, ever made, no, but it is not a good game by any stretch of the imagination either and I cannot recommend it to anyone when there are so many better games to play that are far more worthwhile spending your time and money on. Maybe it's just about worth a fiver to the most diehard Alien fans for the brief shits and giggles it can deliver, but it certainly was not in any way, shape or form acceptable as a full-price game when it was released and Randy Pitchford's constant deceit before and after did not help- hype was based off fake advertising, so you literally cannot blame people's expectations for the game being poorly received when the developers outright lied; the previews they showed were awesome, they were also fucking fake. The graphics, while not "N64 quality" (dunno who said that, cite your sources, random trolls on Metacritic don't count), they're still quite bad for a 2013 AAA game. Add to that it being a buggy mess and the enemy AI being actually fundamentally broken in its very coding and, well, in my opinion this is best forgotten, especially when Alien: Isolation is a far, far superior experience.

Edited by Stan Lee
4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The game we got didn't match the game they advertised. Watch any video that compared the actual gameplay on release versus the E3 Demo. Aside from the downgrade there were so many bugs on release day as well as the Alien A.I. being broken. 

 

Gearbox basically used SEGA's money to fund their other games while outsourcing the majority of colonial marines development which is why we got this shitty release. And then Randy had the audacity to defend the game in multiple interviews instead of listening to the fans feedback. There are a ton of articles and youtube video's detailing this whole trainwreck if you're interested.

 

Don't get me wrong enjoy the game all you want but it's definitely not an underrated gem lmao.

 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr_Mayus said:

I think the problem is people let themselves get hyped to ungodly levels so were very disappointed when it came out.

 

This was my major issue with Dark Souls when it released. I never got excited for anything after that, and I've enjoyed more things as a result, I believe.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Maaden_Swe said:

If I remember correctly it had a cool collectors edition? 

I've bought an embarrassingly large number of collector's editions, but this one never interested me. It's ok if you want the statue.

3 hours ago, xZoneHunter said:

The game we got didn't match the game they advertised. Watch any video that compared the actual gameplay on release versus the E3 Demo. Aside from the downgrade there were so many bugs on release day as well as the Alien A.I. being broken. 

 

Gearbox basically used SEGA's money to fund their other games while outsourcing the majority of colonial marines development which is why we got this shitty release. And then Randy had the audacity to defend the game in multiple interviews instead of listening to the fans feedback. There are a ton of articles and youtube video's detailing this whole trainwreck if you're interested.

 

Don't get me wrong enjoy the game all you want but it's definitely not an underrated gem lmao.

 

Underrated when looking at user review scores.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It did have a collector's edition and it's a badass one as well, which is why I got it :).

 

As a side note, this one of several games that taught me 3 things:

 

1: Hype is detrimental, especially if you let it go to your head.

 

2: Don't believe preview builds of games, because the odds are the game won't look much like them when it actually releases.

 

3: Official and officially sanctioned previews are suspect, because it's hard to tell if the previewer's opinion has been bought and paid for so look for independent news sources.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t forget the fact that enemy AI pathing was a mess because of a typo and was never fixed by Gearbox so only PC players can kinda fix that mess.

 

even with fixing the typo the AI is a mess.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HuntingFever said:

3: Official and officially sanctioned previews are suspect, because it's hard to tell if the previewer's opinion has been bought and paid for so look for independent news sources.

 

Let me awaken you to a fact from one who has worked within the industry, there is NO SUCH THING an an independent news source. Either you are on the inside with the developers and/or producers and get the news directly from their allowed access or you are outside and either cut and paste their canned news releases or news items that other websites have already posted.

 

and if you are inside, you likely aren't going to be as critically harsh ANYTIME that you should be  in fear that you will be removed from the upper echelon of sites with extreme access...and if you are "critical" you're more than likely be Fox News-like critical so you can claim to be "fair and balanced" but honestly if the build is a piece of shit, you are not going to say it in those words...more like..." the animations of the action sequences aren't as fluid as EA North would like them to be currently, but we can expect them to be burning the midnight oil long into the night to get things right before release in the Fall."

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i wouldnt go so far as calling it underrated but its fun if u play it with others.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i loved that game i have 2 copies of it. but others hated it. i thought it was a great fighting game against the aliens and the weapons from the movie etc. but i guess its not the game everyone wanted so they came out with the ps4 version and everyone was happy. me personally i liked shooting and bullets flying and i hate stealth games. so although the ps4 title was a good game, i personally liked colonial marines alot better. me and my friend co op'd so we had a blast playing it. then some random co op'd with us who was a huge fan of the movie so i had alot of fun. the multiplayer kind of sucked though i didnt enjoy playing the mp for trophies at all. but it was decent. overall i loved the game. i cant understand why so many people hated it but everyone likes different things. and trailers being very misleading can really piss people off to the point that no matter how good the final product is they will hate it for it not being what the trailer made it out to be. i know ive hated alot of games for that reason

1 hour ago, PSXtreme_ said:

 

Let me awaken you to a fact from one who has worked within the industry, there is NO SUCH THING an an independent news source. Either you are on the inside with the developers and/or producers and get the news directly from their allowed access or you are outside and either cut and paste their canned news releases or news items that other websites have already posted.

 

and if you are inside, you likely aren't going to be as critically harsh ANYTIME that you should be  in fear that you will be removed from the upper echelon of sites with extreme access...and if you are "critical" you're more than likely be Fox News-like critical so you can claim to be "fair and balanced" but honestly if the build is a piece of shit, you are not going to say it in those words...more like..." the animations of the action sequences aren't as fluid as EA North would like them to be currently, but we can expect them to be burning the midnight oil long into the night to get things right before release in the Fall."


what about the average youtuber wouldnt that be considered independant news sources? and im not talking about the guys that are paid sponsors with green screens and over the top equipment. i mean the average kid in his 20s who loves video games, started a channel, has a decent following, and pumps out gameplays and reviews. maybe thats what the guy meant that you can trust those sources because nobody is paying them and they often arent even monetizing their videos they are just happy to get subs and views

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, melodicmizery said:

i loved that game i have 2 copies of it. but others hated it. i thought it was a great fighting game against the aliens and the weapons from the movie etc. but i guess its not the game everyone wanted so they came out with the ps4 version and everyone was happy. me personally i liked shooting and bullets flying and i hate stealth games. so although the ps4 title was a good game, i personally liked colonial marines alot better. me and my friend co op'd so we had a blast playing it. then some random co op'd with us who was a huge fan of the movie so i had alot of fun. the multiplayer kind of sucked though i didnt enjoy playing the mp for trophies at all. but it was decent. overall i loved the game. i cant understand why so many people hated it but everyone likes different things. and trailers being very misleading can really piss people off to the point that no matter how good the final product is they will hate it for it not being what the trailer made it out to be. i know ive hated alot of games for that reason


what about the average youtuber wouldnt that be considered independant news sources? and im not talking about the guys that are paid sponsors with green screens and over the top equipment. i mean the average kid in his 20s who loves video games, started a channel, has a decent following, and pumps out gameplays and reviews. maybe thats what the guy meant that you can trust those sources because nobody is paying them and they often arent even monetizing their videos they are just happy to get subs and views

You referring to Alien Isolation? Colonial Marines doesn't have a PS4 version.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, melodicmizery said:

i loved that game i have 2 copies of it. but others hated it. i thought it was a great fighting game against the aliens and the weapons from the movie etc. but i guess its not the game everyone wanted so they came out with the ps4 version and everyone was happy. me personally i liked shooting and bullets flying and i hate stealth games. so although the ps4 title was a good game, i personally liked colonial marines alot better. me and my friend co op'd so we had a blast playing it. then some random co op'd with us who was a huge fan of the movie so i had alot of fun. the multiplayer kind of sucked though i didnt enjoy playing the mp for trophies at all. but it was decent. overall i loved the game. i cant understand why so many people hated it but everyone likes different things. and trailers being very misleading can really piss people off to the point that no matter how good the final product is they will hate it for it not being what the trailer made it out to be. i know ive hated alot of games for that reason


what about the average youtuber wouldnt that be considered independant news sources? and im not talking about the guys that are paid sponsors with green screens and over the top equipment. i mean the average kid in his 20s who loves video games, started a channel, has a decent following, and pumps out gameplays and reviews. maybe thats what the guy meant that you can trust those sources because nobody is paying them and they often arent even monetizing their videos they are just happy to get subs and views

yeah...mr youtuber isn't going to have inside access...mr youtuber is telling you opinion or rehashing what other outlets have already said.

 

I'm talking about the access you get when EA flies you out to an all expense paid event, when Activision brings you to a press only event at one of their game designer headquarters when you used to go out to E3 when it was a press only event...mr. youtuber isn't going to have the inside look, pre-release copies or builds of games, press packages delivered months ahead of release...etc etc etc. more than likely...mr. youtuber works at gamestop and gets the game the day before release and pretends he's on the inside.

 

there's a BIG difference between somebody with a webcam and a youtube channel and a professionally run news outlet. you have to put forth A LOT of time, effort and have a big enough click ratio before the big boys even begin to consider you worth their effort.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.