PS4 Pro worth buying without 4k TV?

OverHypedG

I wouldn't recommend it. I hardly see any difference in side by side videos between the base and the pro, not nearly enough to justify a few hundred extra cost anyway, and the difference is bound to be quite small without a 4k tv. Even if you do have a 4k tv, the ps5 is a little more than a year away from being released, and if the generation shift from ps3 to ps4 is anything to go by, then games like Death Stranding will likely get a remaster release for the ps5 with better graphics. I mean if you have the money to throw it around, go for it, but I doubt it will be worth the additional investment if you even have to ask a question like that.

Edited by Nighcisama
  • Like 1

I've been using a PS4 Pro in a 1080p TV for a year. This is my opinion, but the supersampling mode for a 1080p it's just nothing, you may even not notice it. However there are games that they have some advantages in:

- Graphics (textures, ilumination, etc)

- FPS or performance mode

These two things are the ones you'd notice in a 1080p monitor. The matter is that the vast majority of games have an upgrade in resolution, a huge part have the performance mode, and a small number of them have better graphics. 

For a 1080p, it worths in some games, not in the majority of them. Maybe you should ask yourself if you'd buy some 4K display in the future. 

Edit: 

To sum up:  PS4 Pro for a 1080p TV is a good or bad choice depends on each game. In general, I wouldn't recommend it. But, I you really like the Death Stranding Edition (love the controller) and you can afford it, go for it; maybe you will buy a 4K TV in the future, at least for PS5.

Edited by TizonaES
  • Like 2

Totally worth it. Used to play on a 1080p display before i had my 4k tv, and yes there is a difference.

Games like the latest tomb raider where you have the option to switch between modes (hd 60fps, 4k 30) to compare will show you this, and it is impressive.

Ofc a 4k display is much nicer, and indeed no longer that expensive, but i was much more impressed by hdr than by the upgrade to 4k (AC Origins for example) so invest in that if you upgrade (at least hdr10, preferably hdr10+) and don't focus so much on resolution imo.

So to summarise, boost mode + supersampling make enough of a difference that i dont regret getting one earlier.

Plus those shorter load times... ? 

• Like 3

from experience, ill say if u intend to get a 4k tv down the line yes.

plus price difference really isnt much between base and pro.

my OG PS4 kept shutting off into rest mode so i sold it for 350 to some random. and picked up a pro. games do run smoother. there can be a random noise cut out but thats the hdmi handshake thing and its rare. 4ktv is good obvs and the latest update on ps4 allows more refined hdr calibration. And since I've had a pro (day 1), other than the random noise drop (very rare), ive had no real issues with it.

soooo yes.

• Like 2

The only real difference I’ve seen in recent years between the Pro and Vanila/Slim is the Pro makes the games look better on a big ass 4K TV. 

It’s NOT worth it. I don’t have a big enough flatscreen TV anyway and even if I did, I would opt for the Slim since it’s much cheaper. 

Wait for the Playstation 5, or better yet wait for the ‘upgrade’ version.

• Like 1

Its definitely worth it for less than a £100 more.... I don't know what some are talking about saying there is hardly any difference... There is a huge difference on nearly every game, some games that run bad on base consoles are locked frame rates on Pro especially older games. And one big difference is stuff like screen tearing on base consoles... Its eliminated on the Pro. Most new games look and run much better on the Pro. God of War looks good on a base console... On the Pro Amazing! And Rage 2, 30fps on base consoles 60fps on Pro.. that's a huge difference. And the latest game Modern Warfare struggles on base PS4, on Pro its flawless and looks amazing.  

I've only got one eye and even that's messed up yet i can see a huge difference... So some must be virtually blind if they can't. 

Personally, I think it is worth it simply for the performance gains alone, regardless of whether or not you have or plan on buying a 4K television. Having a stable framerate is very important for me and the Pro makes it much more likely for that to be the case than a base PS4. 

Parker

On 11/4/2019 at 2:48 AM, Rakinho993 said:

HI,

I am really interested in buying this new death stranding ps pro. Looks beautiful. But I don't have 4K TV. 

So I am waging about this. Can someone who plays on PS4 Pro say if there are any differences or should I not buy it at all?

Thanks!

t

Any game where performance is in question (online lag heavy games: looking at you ESO) will benefit heavily from a pro. If that’s not your cup of tea, then probably better not to bother unless you just have money to blow. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well heres my opinion and it's what I did. Buy a 4k tv first then buy a pro. Like some people said the PS5 is more then likely coming out soon so if you knock out a 4ktv you won't need to buy a new one when the ps5 comes out unlike buying a pro now then needing to buy a ps5 when it comes out

On 4.11.2019 at 10:13 AM, colia100 said:

Ofc a 4k display is much nicer, and indeed no longer that expensive, but i was much more impressed by hdr than by the upgrade to 4k (AC Origins for example) so invest in that if you upgrade (at least hdr10, preferably hdr10+) and don't focus so much on resolution imo.

Well, do not go for monitors or TVs that say HDR10 alone. It is a marketing trap. Many screens only have a brightness of 300-350 nits. For a full HDR experience you would need 1000. So, better go for a screen that says "DisplayHDR1000".

On the topic: Well, most things got alreay said, like SuperSampling (if you have no 4K screen) and Boostmode (more fps in older games that did not get optimized for the Pro). The only thing I can add to that is, that I had a base PS4 and now I do have a Pro. I must say... Even the PS4 menu runs a lot smoother on Pro...

• Like 1