talespagni

Filling a complaint at BBB (fix for "With my Devil Dogs" trophy)

24 posts in this topic

Hi,

After seeing the fix for "Splinter Cell: Blacklist" and "Call of Duty: Black Ops 3" unobtainable trophies, via complaint filled in BBB (Better Business Bureau) site, I decided to seek my consumer rights and do the same.

This time, for Battlefield: Bad Company's "With my Devil Dogs" trophy.

I'd like to ask for your help, if possible.

Here's how I did it:

1 - Go to BBB's site: https://www.bbb.org/consumer-complaints/file-a-complaint/get-started

2 - Fill in your information data. You'll need a valid e-mail address.

3 - My complaint is in the spoilers below. Feel free to write yours if you want.

Dice (the publisher) and Electronic Arts (the developer) have a vídeo game on various platforms, released in 2008, called “Battlefield: Bad Company”.

The game has an in-game feature which allows to invite people (via an invite to their Playstation Network accounts), thus forming a squad to play together with up to four people. Moreover, this feature is tied to other gameplay elements and also console-side achievement/trophy systems.

This feature stopped working at random (in the perspective of the consumer) somewhere in middle/late 2018, and has negatively effected the product and its experience for many players, including me and my friends, which bought the game hoping to play and experience the game together.

There was no notice of any kind of this feature shutdown, even to this day, and many people have taken their complaints to Electronic Arts on their official website forums, customer support telephone lines and e-mails, and also on their Facebook and Twitter customer support.

Everyone, including myself several times, have gotten the same response from them: that the “feature is working as normal”, the game is “no longer being supported”, and those types of responses.

As an example, I tried creating a topic on their official website forums, which had almost 30 people saying they had the same problem (via the “Me Too” button); the moderator merged the topic with another previous one (thus erasing those “Me Too” people which agreed with the existence of the problem and were hoping for a solution), marked the problem as “solved”, and never cared about forwarding the problem to those in charge in a proper way.

This is the link which I explained above: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Other-Battlefield-Games/Battlefield-Bad-Company-PS3-With-My-Devil-Dogs-Trophy-Problem/m-p/7926327

Also, by reading the posts in the above link, there are multiple other links provided to verify there are other people who also agreed with the occurrence of this problem.

It’s been more than a year now, the feature is still broken on all platforms, everyone is still getting the same responses (if they respond at all), and the same complaints are still being made by countless people.

I’m not sure if this is too small of a problem for something like the BBB to look into, but this is really only one example of a large vídeo game publishing company having one of their products break and then do nothing about it and make no effort in communicating properly to their consumer base that shows concern about the issues regarding their enjoyment of the product.

Thank you.

4 - In the next field, I choose "repair", and put the following settlement:

The only outcome me and many other people are looking for is for them to simply fix the broken feature in “Battlefield: Bad Company” which allows for inviting a friend in-game, thus making possible obtaining the “With my Devil Dogs” trophy/achievement.

Finally, Dice/Electronic Arts should make an effort to tell their consumer base when the issue is to be fixed and when it is fixed.

That's it. BBB's site shouldn't pose problems to navigate and fill in the information fields, it's very intuitive.

If you have any questions regarding this, feel free to post here or send me a PM, I'd be glad to help.

And, last but not least, thanks to all those who care enough to help a fellow gamer.

6 minutes ago, talespagni said:
Postet 6 Minutes ago, talespagni said:

Hi,

After seeing the fix for "Splinter Cell: Blacklist" and "Call of Duty: Black Ops 3" unobtainable trophies, via complaint filled in BBB (Better Business Bureau) site, I decided to seek my consumer rights and do the same.

This time, for Battlefield: Bad Company's "With my Devil Dogs" trophy.

I'd like to ask for your help, if possible.

Here's how I did it:

We are talking about EA and I have the feeling that they just shut down the servers.... which means RIP trophies in total

Edited by REAPER4536

7 minutes ago, REAPER4536 said:

We are talking about EA and I have the feeling that they just shut down the servers.... which means RIP trophies in total

so true that's EA go-to solution cause theres not really much they can do with their entire arm so deep up their own asshole

Well, all I can say is: good luck.

You would need more than the involvement of the BBB in this, and I mean a frigging miracle.

The game is 10 years old. We're on the verge of a new generation of consoles, so why would any company care about a 7th gen console game? I only recall Valve doing a patch for Left 4 Dead two years ago, but that's about it. This is EA we're talking about, one of the vilest corporations of the gaming industry, at least in terms of customer satisfaction (looking at you Battlefront 2).

So I'd say it's a really long shot.

But one can only hope...

Just now, Ghanupher said:

Well, all I can say is: good luck.

You would need more than the involvement of the BBB in this, and I mean a frigging miracle.

The game is 10 years old. We're on the verge of a new generation of consoles, so why would any company care about a 7th gen console game? I only recall Valve doing a patch for Left 4 Dead two years ago, but that's about it. This is EA we're talking about, one of the vilest corporations of the gaming industry, at least in terms of customer satisfaction (looking at you Battlefront 2).

So I'd say it's a really long shot.

But one can only hope...

Posts like these are to be expected. But that's ok.

I'm doing my part. I know and agree with everything you said, but still, I'm doing my part.

Hope you send your complaint too. The more people who do this, the better, as seen with the 2 aforementioned games.

I appreciate your commitment. But you mixed something up - DICE is the developer, EA the publisher and the "invite"-system is indeed working as intended. You can play with your friends, but you won't get a trophy for it. Can you edit your complaint? Would be a shame if EA/DICE should actually answer, saying "well, the invite-system works, case closed" because they didn't complain about the trophy but the system not working.

Keep us updated, thank you!

3 hours ago, REAPER4536 said:

I don't dare to say this won't happen (you never know...) but it's unlikely, because they keep the battlefield-servers running, they just don't care anymore - because, honestly, the BC1-servers are a mess. Meaning, if they wanted to shut BC1 down, the servers would be gone already.

13 hours ago, woggly4 said:

I appreciate your commitment. But you mixed something up - DICE is the developer, EA the publisher and the "invite"-system is indeed working as intended. You can play with your friends,

I don't dare to say this won't happen (you never know...) but it's unlikely, because they keep the battlefield-servers running, they just don't care anymore - because, honestly, the BC1-servers are a mess. Meaning, if they wanted to shut BC1 down, the servers would be gone already.

Well, I see that similar but more in the way. What the fuck? Why the heck are those servers still running? Shut them off in 20.02.20

Since you have already created 2 threads on games you are playing with unobtainable trophies, why don't do you do it for all games on your profile? 

I see you don't have all the online trophies for NBA 2K12...why not do that one too? 

Honestly, what a waste of time on 10 year old games... 

I'm not affected by this one, but I'm going to fill in a complaint anyways 

It's an 11 year old game. I highly doubt that the BBB will get EA/DICE to fix this trophy for a very small amount of players. It's only a matter of time until the servers for PS3 games will be shut off, too.

19 hours ago, REAPER4536 said:

That is not correct. The servers are working. I've been playing the game for a month now. Just yesterday I got the trophy for doing all the awards.

You can easily find full lobbies almost every night. Dozens of people still play this game. As an example, I got the trophy for getting 50 differents dog tags (killing 50 different people with the knife) without problems. I have almost 80 dog tags by now.

Plus, EA seems to give a 3 month warning when they are about to close their game's servers. Like they did with Crysis 2, amongst other games.

16 hours ago, woggly4 said:

I appreciate your commitment. But you mixed something up - DICE is the developer, EA the publisher and the "invite"-system is indeed working as intended. You can play with your friends, but you won't get a trophy for it. Can you edit your complaint? Would be a shame if EA/DICE should actually answer, saying "well, the invite-system works, case closed" because they didn't complain about the trophy but the system not working.

Keep us updated, thank you!

You're right, I mixed things up. I tried to edit it, but couldn't. I don't think it's a problem though. Just got an e-mail from BBB today saying the complaint was registered, and the company has 3 weeks to reply. Remember, on Splinter Cell: Blacklist it took this exactly ammount of time to have an answer from Ubisoft. Let's wait and see what happens.

However, what you got wrong in your message is, you can't play with friends. I can send an invite, the other person can accept, but the game simply cannot connect both people. The only way this happens is if you have 2 consoles in the same place (house).

I'll keep you updated. Thanks for the help. I hope you send your complaint as well.

2 hours ago, adam1984123 said:

Since you have already created 2 threads on games you are playing with unobtainable trophies, why don't do you do it for all games on your profile? 

I see you don't have all the online trophies for NBA 2K12...why not do that one too? 

Honestly, what a waste of time on 10 year old games... 

No, not planning on doing anything for NBA 2K12 or any other games besides those two. But, if somehow I decide to do it, be sure of one thing, your opinion will not matter one ounce in the way I go about things.

And honestly, I don't think you're the right person to come here and tell me what I should be spending my time on, games or not.

If you see anything wrong on what I'm doing, then go talk to the moderators. I only created 2 topics asking for help on those related games. I'm pretty sure I didn't do anything immoral or illegal here.

1 hour ago, Alihsan621 said:

I'm not affected by this one, but I'm going to fill in a complaint anyways 

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

56 minutes ago, frontzie said:

It's an 11 year old game. I highly doubt that the BBB will get EA/DICE to fix this trophy for a very small amount of players. It's only a matter of time until the servers for PS3 games will be shut off, too.

First of all, let me say I agree with you. However, I think it's worth a try.

There were examples before where companies took years to fix a trophy, but in the end, it happened.

The trophy "Catch the bad moment" was unobtainable for roughly 2 years (if I'm not mistaken), then EA fixed it.

As I said before, I don't expect anything to change, but I decided to "waste" 20 minutes of my time to give it a try.

10 minutes ago, talespagni said:

I've been playing the game for a month now. Just yesterday I got the trophy for doing all the awards.

How on earth did you manage to get all awards in just one month? Dude... 😆

11 minutes ago, talespagni said:

However, what you got wrong in your message is, you can't play with friends. I can send an invite, the other person can accept, but the game simply cannot connect both people. The only way this happens is if you have 2 consoles in the same place (house).

Well, I played 200+ matches to get the trophy with several people from around the world. We could always connect just fine. 🤔

31 minutes ago, woggly4 said:

How on earth did you manage to get all awards in just one month? Dude... 1f606.png

Well, I played 200+ matches to get the trophy with several people from around the world. We could always connect just fine. 1f914.png

I have a group of friends, which I've known since 2014, and we play a lot of games together. Did dozens of boosts with them. So we've been playing the game for 4 weeks now, working on the awards, little by little. Last one was "Chopper Chopper". Actually I was the last one to get the trophy. Took 100 hours, I think.

Now it's only a matter of time of doing the countless kills. I'll try to split it in groups of 2.500, to avoid the burnout feeling.

Regarding the connection, what I know is that since the middle/end of last year people barely can't connect (as a squad) anymore. If you look at the latest earners of this trophy, you can see the ammount of people who got this trophy drastically reduced from this time on to now.

I believe there is a topic here, created by VirtualNight (if I'm not mistaken that's his id), saying how the game is working nowadays. And that's exactly how it is doing.

Edited by talespagni

This isn't cause to get the BBB involved. Save that for when we really need it, please.

You care way too much buddy. Second one of these little threads I've ran into today. Why not make one on everything unobtainable?

lol, so much vitriol from the Ps4 zoomers that haven't played Ps3 since 2013 and couldn't care less about it

i'll file a complaint later this week; great job taking initiative, OP

Hey man, i dont get it, what i must chose?

Is the business in the United States or Canada? Yes No

13 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

... just don't bother.

Why not? If its can help - i better try.

47 minutes ago, Vasilij_Kozlov said:

Hey man, i dont get it, what i must chose?

Is the business in the United States or Canada? Yes No

Hi, you must choose USA.

Thanks for helping out, I noticed you replied me on another place (I can't remember if it's a MP or topic).

The BBB can't do anything...they are the United Nations of the business world.

The only thing they can do, if EA doesn't fix the complaint, which they won't, is downgrade the rating that the BBB gives to company. That's it. There are no fines, no ramifications, no punishments...they just get a low score. Not that ANY score matters any to any gamers. EA has had these practices for DECADES...every gamer worth their weight knows this and yet they still shovel over dollar after dollar on game after game, pre-order after pre-order and then are "Surprised" when EA does it to them again...

Anyway...it's been over 3 weeks since the OP...

Have you felled your windmill, Don Quixote?

Edited by PSXtreme_

19 minutes ago, kryptor_kris said:

Did you get any update from them yet?

@talespagni

Yes. Shortly after the complaint was sent, an EA employee got in touch with a friend of mine (who also sent a complaint).

We provided a recorded video of the problem, sent them, and since then we've been exchanging e-mails weekly. This employee's been providing weekly updates for roughly a month now.

They are looking at the issue. That's all I can say for now.

When I have more news I'll post here.

On 03/12/2019 at 11:01 PM, PSXtreme_ said:

Have you felled your windmill, Don Quixote?

I'll gladly help you when you get off your high horse, sir Pancho.

Edited by talespagni
I wanted to.