Possibility of creating a program to bypass steam log-in?

EdgeOfPortal

@HusKy Basically the entire multiplayer section (besides split-screen) is off limits. When the ps3 version launched, it had a required steam-login to access online. You put in your steam username and password, and it connects to online. From there, you can invite other players and play online. I figured that its just sending that info to a steam server, so what if a program was setup on a pc that takes that info and says "sure, whatever" no matter what you put in. The PS3 thinks you're connected and thus you can play. If its not peer-to-peer then you could just set up another program that creates a virtual server after bypassing steam login, similar to the gone spy shutdown. The two trophies are "Professor Portal" and "Friends List With Benefits"

Friends List With Benefits - Hug 3 Players On Your Friends List

Professor Portal - After completing the co-op campaign, playthrough the calibration course with someone who's never played before

Of course, all of this is just an idea. let me know what you think.

22 minutes ago, EdgeOfPortal said:

@HusKy Basically the entire multiplayer section (besides split-screen) is off limits. When the ps3 version launched, it had a required steam-login to access online. You put in your steam username and password, and it connects to online. From there, you can invite other players and play online. I figured that its just sending that info to a steam server, so what if a program was setup on a pc that takes that info and says "sure, whatever" no matter what you put in. The PS3 thinks you're connected and thus you can play. If its not peer-to-peer then you could just set up another program that creates a virtual server after bypassing steam login, similar to the gone spy shutdown. The two trophies are "Professor Portal" and "Friends List With Benefits"

Friends List With Benefits - Hug 3 Players On Your Friends List

Professor Portal - After completing the co-op campaign, playthrough the calibration course with someone who's never played before

Of course, all of this is just an idea. let me know what you think.

Let me speak with my friends. They are the ones that do this sort of stuff. I’m just the middle man. 

Anyway, if they find a way to do it it will be launched with the project they are working on. 

I don’t see it being impossible though, since it’s Valve related.

• Like 2

The login would be fairly trivial if you have some knowledge of Steam protocol. They use protocol buffers and TCP connection to transmit data. Writing a server for this would be easy.

I suppose the real issue could lie in matchmaking, because there must be a central service that helps with pairing players together even if the gameplay is p2p.

I don't have PS3 or this game so I'm not sure I can help much further with this.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HusKy said:

The login would be fairly trivial if you have some knowledge of Steam protocol. They use protocol buffers and TCP connection to transmit data. Writing a server for this would be easy.

I suppose the real issue could lie in matchmaking, because there must be a central service that helps with pairing players together even if the gameplay is p2p.

I don't have PS3 or this game so I'm not sure I can help much further with this.

Would there be anyway I could go about messing with it? (I don't know much about programming)

29 minutes ago, EdgeOfPortal said:

Would there be anyway I could go about messing with it? (I don't know much about programming)

Realistically, without deeper understanding of networking and protocol buffers, I don't think so.

• Like 1

I don't have the game anymore :(

It shouldn't be hard to write a dummy server to handle the game client login, but who knows what happens after that. Game client might detect the phony server, or not allow play with others unless they are detected as signed in to Steam, etc...

Can anyone remember what any multiplayer interface, friends list etc looked like after you signed in to Steam?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sundr0wn_ said:

Most of this goes way ovee my head, but i'm interested in seeing this come to fruition.

But would that be allowed by the various Trophie forums (mainly this one), or would our accounts still get flagged for earning these trophies this way?

No, this has been done before with other games. Look up the gone spy shutdown. People didn't get banned for that one, so I'd say you'd be in the clear.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Dr_Stranamore said:

The Steam version got updated, you can still play Portal 2 on PC and Xbox but not on PS3.

That has always been the case though since the shutdown because the Xbox version did not have the Steamworks feature AFAIK so their online wasn't affected and Valve often provide updates to their older games on Steam, Portal 2 especially. I just wish Valve could at least remove the Steamworks feature for the PS3 version so that the online could work again but it's very unlikely.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2019 at 11:22 PM, darkjjda said:

Any news on this? 

my question exactly. I have wanted this game 100% since like 2014. I am only missing 3 total trophies 2 of them are online. I don't see the point in going for the other co-op one I don't have until/unless I get the other two because the one I am missing is really annoying and will be pretty hard to do so it will take time. 

On 1/12/2020 at 0:44 PM, BTomaek said:

you don't need that to finish portal 2 

if you know how to do the game you can finish it by your self and two controllers 

also its really hard to upload programs to an unjailbroken ps3 

No, there’s two trophies that absolutely require online connectivity and PS3-Steam is offline. Even if you get everything else offline, you’ll still be missing those two.

On 11/10/2019 at 7:37 AM, Sundr0wn_ said:

Would our accounts still get flagged for earning these trophies this way?

On 11/10/2019 at 2:27 PM, EdgeOfPortal said:

So I'd say you'd be in the clear.

Any 3rd party software must be pre-approved by the staff, and have specific requirements it must meet. Until then, you can and you will be flagged if noticed. 

We want people to enjoy their games, and we understand the importance of preserving the whole game (and functions) for future generations. However, for the leaderboard, we must consider fairness, accessibility, safety, and other factors and make sure it's right for the community in a competitive manner.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Also interested in this, Portal 2 is one of my favorite games of all time, yet I've played it mainly on other platforms as it's the only Valve game on PS, always wanted The Orange Box to have trophies, had to feel the fun of them popping on 360. I delayed this platinum on PS3 and looks I was too late. Hope there is a workaround to bypass that Steam login and get the online trophy legit.

Edited by YonahFuriae
  • Like 1

On 6/29/2020 at 2:53 PM, SpaceCoresDad said:

Can someone pull a Nick Robinson or something and go straight to Valve headquarters to ask them in person? Surely there's a way to fix this. It's not like they're busy making games.

For some reason valve hates PlayStation. It’s stupid and seems to have no apparent reason. Still have online for trashbox and pc yet not on ps3. Its so dumb

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...