Deep diving into the Vita's library?

awf9495

Accepting that systems have relatively short lifespans has never been a problem for me...until the Vita. I imagine this is because there isn't a successor and the end of the Vita and 3DS kind of mark the end of a way of gaming for many of us.

As my backlog of Vita games slowly dwindles, I find myself looking for excuses to keep the Vita alive, even if those excuses are games I am not even sure I will enjoy. Thanks to the latest sale, I find myself with two Senran Kagura games and Akiba's Trip in my cart with my mouse hovering over the Purchase button. I don't really like musou style beat-em-ups and have skipped Akiba Strip ? at $5 in the past. It is like I have an angel on one shoulder telling me that it is time to move on and a devil on the other telling me to go nuts (or vice versa - another conundrum!).

I imagine I am not the only one struggling with this.  So are you letting the Vita go gently into that good night and if not, what are you doing to extend it's lifespan?

I'm not into JRPG's/Visual Novels so for me, buying Vita never was reasoned by a huge library. To be honest, if I were to buy Vita, I'd probably buy 9/10 games. That's it. It's pathetic that there is nothing to play on this console for players like myself. Sly Cooper, Jak and Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, God of War etc, they made stacks for Vita because there was nothing to play on that device if you ask me.

10 minutes ago, HaserPL said:

I'm not into JRPG's/Visual Novels so for me, buying Vita never was reasoned by a huge library. To be honest, if I were to buy Vita, I'd probably buy 9/10 games. That's it. It's pathetic that there is nothing to play on this console for players like myself. Sly Cooper, Jak and Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, God of War etc, they made stacks for Vita because there was nothing to play on that device if you ask me.

The only angle for those not a fan of JRPG's/VN's (and maybe rhythm games) that would justify a Vita purchase is if you enjoy lots of indie games.  I played so many PS+ indie games on Vita - granted I probably only liked half of them - but the catalog is pretty deep.

Edited by awf9495

The only thing the Senran Kagura games got going for them is if you're reeally into anime girl tits n' ass, then those games got you set. Gameplay's fine, it's not great, it's not groundbreaking, it's just "fine". Storywise, Shinovi Versus will keep you entertained if you need something to do so for an otherwise boring weekend, Estival Versus's story is pointless and goes no where.

Edited by damon8r351
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, HaserPL said:

But most of the indie games are cross-buy. Sure you can play them on Vita, but still, that doesn't justify the purchase.

For me, the portability is a huge plus as I have limited access to the PS4 until late at night.  The Vita lets me still play a lot of smaller titles I was interested in so I could focus my PS4 time on the games only available for console. 

4 minutes ago, damon8r351 said:

The only thing the Senran Kagura games got going for them is if you're reeally into anime girl tits n' ass, then those games got you set. Gameplay's fine, it's not great, it's not groundbreaking, it's just "fine". Storywise, Shinovi Versus will keep you entertained if you need something to do so for an otherwise boring weekend, Estival Versus's story is pointless and goes no where.

I don't mind fan service but won't play a game just because of it. Is the gameplay typical musou repetition?

5 minutes ago, awf9495 said:

For me, the portability is a huge plus as I have limited access to the PS4 until late at night.  The Vita lets me still play a lot of smaller titles I was interested in so I could focus my PS4 time on the games only available for console. 

I don't mind fan service but won't play a game just because of it. Is the gameplay typical musou repetition?

Yes, 100% so.

11 minutes ago, archangel9978 said:

My vita will rage, rage into the dying of the light....i love the vita, it was way underrated and undersupported...it died because of the switch and i dont see that hype...nintendo doesnt even have a trophy system that i know of and while i love my wii playstation won me over years ago

Mine will rage alongside yours, at least for a while.

The thing about the Switch is that it is taking the Vita's concept of console games on the go and actually following through.  The first time my legs went numb playing Super Mario Odyssey on the porcelain throne, I fell in love with the system. Still, it is a bit too large to be a true handheld IMO so can't fully replace the 3DS/Vita for me.

Edited by awf9495

I'll keep supporting vita, I'm a huge rhythm game fan lol but even tho games like project diva and persona rhythm games were released on ps3/4 I still prefer the vita versions. I also play a lot of indies which I also prefer on vita because of portability and I like stacking games so yeah...

It's sad to hear that some devs actually lose money from vita ports, I saw an interview with ratalaika games and they said they don't make any money from vita ports but they do 

them anyway because they love the console, I try to support indie devs as much as I can with either buying or talking/reviewing their games on twitter, but I think most devs won't bother with vita ports anymore because it just isn't worth it sadly.

Edited by timpurnat

49 minutes ago, archangel9978 said:

My vita will rage, rage into the dying of the light....i love the vita, it was way underrated and undersupported...it died because of the switch and i dont see that hype...nintendo doesnt even have a trophy system that i know of and while i love my wii playstation won me over years ago

I love the Vita, but the Switch did not kill it. I can understand being slightly bitter, but that's pretty silly. You can't keep a system going without any first party games.

The Switch captured most of the Vita's audience by being a similar handheld with actual manufacturer support. The Vita was already dead before that happened.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

16 minutes ago, timpurnat said:

I'll keep supporting vita, I'm a huge rhythm game fan lol but even tho games like project diva and persona rhythm games were released on ps3/4 I still prefer the vita versions. I also play a lot of indies which I also prefer on vita because of portability and I like stacking games so yeah...

I too am a a big rhythm game fan and the Vita is my system of choice for the genre. I got so comfortable with it that when I played the Future Tone demo on PS4, something just felt off no matter how much I messed with the calibration.

9 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I love the Vita, but the Switch did not kill it. I can understand being slightly bitter, but that's pretty silly. You can't keep a system going without any first party games.

The Switch captured most of the Vita's audience by being a similar handheld with actual manufacturer support. The Vita was already dead before that happened.

I think a case can be made that the Vita died for the mass market after 2013, but fans along with Japanese and indie developers kept it alive until now.

I imagine the reason releases have all but dried up now are the age of the hardware, Sony not producing the physical media, and the Switch. Even if not directly responsible, I imagine some developers moved on because of the Switch's success and titles available on both systems probably suffered somewhat on the Vita due to dual owners wanting to play on the Switch instead. It really was just a matter of time regardless.

3 minutes ago, awf9495 said:

I too am a a big rhythm game fan and the Vita is my system of choice for the genre. I got so comfortable with it that when I played the Future Tone demo on PS4, something just felt off no matter how much I messed with the calibration.

Yeah same here, something just feels off when I play on ps4/3, It's like there is different timing, a bit of delay idk lol, never had any problems on vita, gameplay there is very smooth. I also tried to calibrate the notes but I still had some problems with timing?

1 hour ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Thats why i stated underratedand and undersupported and i should add under apreciated, sony gave up on the vita shortly after the switch's success

I recently bought a second Vita (second-hand) because:

1. It was dirt cheap

2. I want a backup in case mine dies

3. It gives me a chance to knock out some ad-hoc trophies which will otherwise never happen

I still plan to use it for many years to come.

Edited by RNumbers
  • Like 1