trixter123

wait to buy

22 posts in this topic

Sounds like the studio has now gone under as well. As much as I'd like to play this, it's red flags all over the place...

Thall shall not p... latinum!

Not sure we'll see any of this on PS4. The game was pretty much DOA and I'll be surprised if we actually see any changes.

13 minutes ago, RNumbers said:

Not sure we'll see any of this on PS4. The game was pretty much DOA and I'll be surprised if we actually see any changes.

If we wait to long the Servers will be closed.

On 9/19/2020 at 10:02 AM, RNumbers said:

On 9/19/2020 at 10:16 AM, Sikutai said:

If we wait to long the Servers will be closed.

Even after the original studio closed, Asmodee Digital confirmed that the game would continue to stay online. Now, the game is being supported by a new developer studio who has a roadmap laid out for this year and until June of next year: https://steamcommunity.com/games/509580/announcements/detail/2736451422509046763
I've seen the dev streams, they're simply making sure the next update can be done for all platforms and the store pages be reworked for each of them.
This, combined with the small size of their team, means that changes are coming but are going to take time. Offline Single Player Support is estimated to be implemented platform wide in December.
At that point, every single trophy in this game will be possible to get long after development stops.
EDIT, I just realized I posted this Roadmap already ;-; but for sure the devs are doing stuff mostly behind the scenes. You can check the ACG Discord to see some of their concepts and such.

Edited by Twiton
Forgot I posted a link already

3 minutes ago, Twiton said:

Asmodee Digital confirmed that the game would continue to stay online

Do not purchase products from these crooks.

On 9/22/2020 at 6:31 PM, Helyx said:

Do not purchase products from these crooks.

I'm sorry, but I think you misunderstood that line. They, the publisher, meant that because the game was, at the time, going to be without a developer indefinitely. That's no longer the case and the new developer is implementing Offline Support for Single Player.
Asmodee Digital are supporting the new Developer as they implement this, allowing them to continue producing content for the game.
Asmodee Digital did not say that "They would keep the game Online Only." I'm saying that they would keep the servers running.
Unless you are talking about the publisher specifically for some other reason not related to this game, rather one of their other games/products?

Edited by Twiton
Clarification/Question

21 minutes ago, Twiton said:

I'm sorry, but I think you misunderstood that line. They, the publisher, meant that because the game was, at the time, going to be without a developer indefinitely. That's no longer the case and the new developer is implementing Offline Support for Single Player.
Asmodee Digital are supporting the new Developer as they implement this, allowing them to continue producing content for the game.
Asmodee Digital did not say that "They would keep the game Online Only." I'm saying that they would keep the servers running.
Unless you are talking about the publisher specifically for some other reason not related to this game, rather one of their other games/products?

Asmodee Digital has a pretty bad reputation due to issues on some other titles. Had I known they were involved I would have stayed away myself.

50 minutes ago, Twiton said:

As with their other studios, Asmodee most likely pulled the funding from the original developer and pushed out a half-assed version.

They don't give a shit about you as a customer and they have zero standards for their products.

13 hours ago, RNumbers said:

Asmodee Digital has a pretty bad reputation due to issues on some other titles. Had I known they were involved I would have stayed away myself.

13 hours ago, Helyx said:

As with their other studios, Asmodee most likely pulled the funding from the original developer and pushed out a half-assed version.

They don't give a shit about you as a customer and they have zero standards for their products.

That information does explain some things about the post-launch history of the game. I had some hunches that most of the negatively received issues with the original game model were Publisher/License holder decisions.
But, I still support the new Developer and I can see clear positive change coming from them. I can compare it to Sleeping Dogs, a game that was lauded by the Publisher (Square Enix) as a failure for not meeting sale quotas. They then pushed UFG to make Triad Wars instead of Sleeping Dogs 2, which caused the developer to close shop after the beta/alpha bombed so hard.
I can understand not wanting to support Asmodee, but this new developer is taking a risk in reworking this game with such a small team. At least appreciate the people making the game happen/improving it after all this time when you consider picking it up. They've been incredibly social and friendly, providing support to all platforms and assisting players in anyway they can. Painting this game as DoA because of Asmodee is condemning the Developer as well by proxy.

The Publisher might be vacant from supporting this game, outside of handing it to Antihero Studios, but that shouldn't push you into seeing it as a lost cause or rewarding bad publishers. Show Asmodee that THIS is what you want, Developers actively working on making games consumer friendly for all platforms. If this game can do better now than it did at launch then it would send a clear message to them.

Get it on sale, sit on it for a while and start it up on December. Please just don't paint it with the same brush you would other Asmodee games.

2 hours ago, Twiton said:

Show Asmodee that THIS is what you want

I've been showing Asmodee what I wanted since last November. They don't care and it's comically insane to watch you attempt to defend them.

In case you didn't know, Asmodee was purchased for like 3 billion dollars in the past year, so they have no shortage of funds. They've snagged up as many high profile "nerd IPs" as they could, and they're determined to strangle every cent they can from these franchises.

Spend your money how you want, but I wont endorse Asmodee or any of their shoddy publishing.

The previous dev was Fantasy Flight Interactive a separate but still connected studio to Fantasy Flight Games (of board, p&p and card games). This game was based directly on their own licensed LOTR card game they made several years ago.

At the time the studio closed it had less to do with Asmodee Digital (though they are utter gabarge still) but it had to do with the financial troubles FFG was having. They shut down not just this dev studio but several key areas including their paper rpg division to restructure and save the company. They also at that time cancelled or postponed several planned projects some even far in development or conception.

Now fast forward here, a new dev has been chosen but there's a couple issues still.

First being when and if Console versions will get the same support as PC.

Second what will happen to the license?

The second is a big question, Asmodee while the publisher does not own either the LOTR license which belongs to the Tolkien Estate and since this video game is based on a real world developed product FFG still owns the property this game represents that includes anything limited to licensing or copyright including artwork used, game mechanics, etc. It's a tricky situation in that even if there is a new dev depending upon how the contract was filed out (and knowing how aggressively protective the tolkien estate is of the LOTR ip) this game could under even in a month due to one of them pulling the license or rights.

1 hour ago, Lord_Bane999 said:

First being when and if Console versions will get the same support as PC.

Antihero Studios have confirmed Console Parity will be in effect to ensure content comes out for all platforms at the same time, as well as dealing with platform specific bugs (especially current noted softlock issues with some quests. They're asking for feedback on which platforms these affect, you can provide this on the LOTR ACG Discord.)

1 hour ago, Helyx said:

They don't care and it's comically insane to watch you attempt to defend them.

Believe me, I know they had a hand in several decisions with this game that I do not support.
I'm just not willing to let this Developer suffer for that.

Edited by Twiton
Clarification

43 minutes ago, Twiton said:

I'm just not willing to let this Developer suffer for that.

The developer suffers regardless. Asmodee wont take care of them, and throwing money at them will only benefit Asmodee. I can see you're hell-bent in your ways, but anyone else reading this, please heed the warnings.

Even leaving the Asmodee connection aside for the moment, I'm going to reiterate what I said early on in this thread: it's red flags all over the place.

• License questions
  • A new dev that, while admittedly saying all the right things, has yet to actually demonstrate their willingness/capability for making these changes
  • A game with only 371 owners per this site; your opinions regarding the potential of the game aside, it doesn't get too much more DOA than that
  • An online only game (bad) that is supposed to be changed to offline play (potentially worse if not handled properly)

IMO, it just does not make sense to do anything other than hold off on buying this game until at least some of these are resolved. This is just my two cents and I respect your views may be different, so I'm going to let it go for now with this last post.

Next Tuesday, 29th September, is when you can expect them to next update us on the situation. After an AMA stream on their Steam, YouTube, Twitch and Facebook channel, they're going to be updating Steam with a new announcement/dates of content. Thank you BTW for giving me information regarding Asmodee Digital, I am trying to get a much clearer picture on the situation, regarding the game's development history/post launch issues.unknown.png

1 hour ago, RNumbers said:

A new dev that, while admittedly saying all the right things, has yet to actually demonstrate their willingness/capability for making these changes

And yeah, I'll leave it at that as well. Sorry for any ignorance on my end, I'm not in the know regarding the Publisher's history as much as others.
EDIT: I'm actually going to make sure these questions get answered, from this thread, on the AMA. I'm sending them to the Community Manager so that I don't forget.

Edited by Twiton
AMA Questions

In regards to my last post, I used the AMA to get various questions raised in this thread answered:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/755739910
Including questions about Asmodee Digital and their involvement with the game from now on.

Edited by Twiton
Clarification/Question

13 minutes ago, Twiton said:

questions about Asmodee Digital

Can you repost any information about AD, their plans to support their previous busted games (namely Munchkin), or information on the developers they defunded mid-development like LuckyHammers? I'm sure the community would appreciate anything you can help with, preferably in text form.

On 9/25/2020 at 2:32 PM, Twiton said:

Thank you BTW for giving me information regarding Asmodee Digital, I am trying to get a much clearer picture on the situation, regarding the game's development history/post launch issues.

Well, you can start here to see me slide into chaos battling AD over Munchkin:

And, as a consolation prize, here's a thread chronicling the climax of my battle with Steve Jackson Games (the Munchkin licensee).

Edited by Helyx

1 hour ago, Twiton said:

In regards to my last post, I used the AMA to get various questions raised in this thread answered:

Watched the whole thing. I see why you've been advocating for them, seems like their hearts are really in the right place. Gifting on Steam came up, it might be a good suggestion to allow purchasing codes for PS4 (as some games have done in the past, although the practice seems to have died out) to allow people to gift on PS4 as well. I'd definitely consider doing some contest here on this site with the game as the prize, but currently there's no good way to do that.

21 hours ago, RNumbers said:

Watched the whole thing. I see why you've been advocating for them, seems like their hearts are really in the right place. Gifting on Steam came up, it might be a good suggestion to allow purchasing codes for PS4 (as some games have done in the past, although the practice seems to have died out) to allow people to gift on PS4 as well. I'd definitely consider doing some contest here on this site with the game as the prize, but currently there's no good way to do that.

PlayStation seems to have issues distributing games through codes, but I'd say that's more an issue with PS Store than it is Publishers/Developers not wanting it to happen. Still, I'll be sure to raise the feedback on their Discord 👍
Being able to gift games at all on PS Store would be nice, tbh
(EDIT: Yep, PSN is at fault sadly: https://www.androidcentral.com/how-buy-digital-copy-playstation-4-game-your-friend, you can no longer even buy keys on gift cards for Digital Downloads.)

23 hours ago, Helyx said:

Can you repost any information about AD, their plans to support their previous busted games (namely Munchkin), or information on the developers they defunded mid-development like LuckyHammers? I'm sure the community would appreciate anything you can help with, preferably in text form.

Well, you can start here to see me slide into chaos battling AD over Munchkin:

And, as a consolation prize, here's a thread chronicling the climax of my battle with Steve Jackson Games (the Munchkin licensee).

I'm sorry, since the AMA already happened, but it wasn't an Asmodee representative answering the questions. It was Antihero Studios.
Also, I only asked Asmodee Digital questions regarding the LOTR ACG. That's what the AMA stream was for.
I'll try to timestamp parts of the VOD where they talked about Asmodee Digital's involvement with the game.

Edited by Twiton