Mini game requirements and other questions

DaveMcDamage

Hi everyone,

Just a couple of questions for now...

1: In Zero, Kiwami and Kiwami 2 the mini game requirements were all listed at the start of the game, but in Y3 it seems you have to play one first to then reveal its completion requirements. Is there a list anywhere that shows what I need to do in order to cut down on attempts. 

2: I'm only on chapter 3 so still early in the game. Doing the hostess stuff now to finish all sub-stories for this chapter. And whilst I have the game on hard to cut out an extra play through. the AI blocks a lot and the combat for Kiryu at the moment is very basic and limited. Is there something I should grind out on this chapter just to make combat more enjoyable than couple the basic rush combo. I have all the first upgrades for the first upgrades and now its costing 12 exp bars but even with sub-story completions the exp is very small. Any tips?

Hi Dave. I believe the minigame requirements are all the same as PS3 (although massage, mahjong and shogi were cut for the West on PS3).

Aroma Massage | Get highest rank in both games

Darts | Beat all six people at all three games

Billiards | Beat all four people at all three games

Karaoke | Get Dragon Of Karaoke rank on all songs

Bowling | Score 200 or more

Cee-Lo (Chinchirorin) | Get cumulative wins worth 20,000 pts

Chou-Han | Get cumulative wins worth 20,000 pts

Koi-Koi | Get cumulative wins worth 10,000 pts

Oicho-Kabu | Get cumulative wins worth 10,000 pts

Roulette | Get cumulative wins worth 20,000 pts

Poker | Win 10,000 pts in one session

Blackjack | Win 10,000 pts in one session

UFO Catcher | Get all 25 prizes

Shogi | Win five games

Mahjong | Win with 50,000+ pts (before winner's bonus is applied)

Batting Centre | Score 1800+ at all four difficulties

Golf | Score -5 (five under par) or better

Fishing | Catch all eight items

Boxcelios | Reach Level 50 of the game

This list is from my trophies guide on GameFAQs which also has tips for each minigame including a cheap way to breeze through shogi.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps3/950186-yakuza-3/faqs/59440

I can't say much on combat as I haven't played since PS3, but a couple of useful items would be the War God Amulet (complete all heat actions) which lets you perform heat actions when the gauge isn't full and the Beads of Good Fortune (open all coin lockers) which stop random battles. The locker keys should be available by Chapters 4 and 5, but you probably need to play longer for the revelations and training to get all the heat actions.

Edited by barticle
  • Like 1

On 7.11.2019 at 11:33 AM, DaveMcDamage said:

Hi everyone,

Just a couple of questions for now...

1: In Zero, Kiwami and Kiwami 2 the mini game requirements were all listed at the start of the game, but in Y3 it seems you have to play one first to then reveal its completion requirements. Is there a list anywhere that shows what I need to do in order to cut down on attempts. 

2: I'm only on chapter 3 so still early in the game. Doing the hostess stuff now to finish all sub-stories for this chapter. And whilst I have the game on hard to cut out an extra play through. the AI blocks a lot and the combat for Kiryu at the moment is very basic and limited. Is there something I should grind out on this chapter just to make combat more enjoyable than couple the basic rush combo. I have all the first upgrades for the first upgrades and now its costing 12 exp bars but even with sub-story completions the exp is very small. Any tips?

Normally the substories will give you 3000 exp (so 3 bars), eating stuff gives you also small amounts. Chapter bosses gives a nice boost, as I realized. I'm in Chapter 5 now and the next upgrades costs me 50 exp bars. (I'm Level 6 of 10). I started on normal, cause I don't want to fight Amon at Hard difficulty, and I don't know actually, how near I get to the 10 Mio ¥ Trophy (2 M actually, but still have to do the Tokyo Hostesses, which should cost more than the Okinawa ones). I also use Gamefaq for the Yakuza Series, cause it's a very detailed wiki for that (and easy to understand for non-english natives).

• Like 1

On 11/8/2019 at 0:57 PM, barticle said:

Gives awesome info

Cheers man, very much appreciated.

19 hours ago, xXK-oZXx said:

Normally the substories will give you 3000 exp (so 3 bars), eating stuff gives you also small amounts. Chapter bosses gives a nice boost, as I realized. I'm in Chapter 5 now and the next upgrades costs me 50 exp bars. (I'm Level 6 of 10). I started on normal, cause I don't want to fight Amon at Hard difficulty, and I don't know actually, how near I get to the 10 Mio ¥ Trophy (2 M actually, but still have to do the Tokyo Hostesses, which should cost more than the Okinawa ones). I also use Gamefaq for the Yakuza Series, cause it's a very detailed wiki for that (and easy to understand for non-english natives).

I totally forgot about Amon. Yeah he was a toughy even on easy in the previous games, never thought about facing him in hard mode. I take it he arrives after the last substory like in previous games? If so then when that time comes I  may make some backup saves, finish the game then reload and change it to easy or something. That way I can then finish the game from there again but keep the substory bonuses for the legend playthrough. Does that sound about right?

Had a go at some of the karaoke songs and they seem much harder than in previous games. Then again I've only had a couple of goes so guess its just a case of getting used to it all over again as its been a while since I played Kiwami 2. 

There seems to be less mini-games in Y3, but the requirements look very tough compared to the others. 

Edited by DaveMcDamage
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

If so then when that time comes I  may make some backup saves, finish the game then reload and change it to easy or something. That way I can then finish the game from there again but keep the substory bonuses for the legend playthrough. Does that sound about right?

Dont know in which of the Games, Bit there were one or two Yakuza Games were you cant change the difficulty without Starting a new game. You should Check if this is Even possible in 3.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Inuty said:

Dont know in which of the Games, Bit there were one or two Yakuza Games were you cant change the difficulty without Starting a new game. You should Check if this is Even possible in 3.

I think it might be possible in Y3 mate because when you go to Morning Glory (Man I wish they had looked up how that translates/refers to outside of Japan) you can check your stats and one of the stats says 'times difficulty has been changed'. If not then I guess I will just have to slog it out. 

Finished all substories and then the story for chapter 3. Hard mode isn't hard in terms of the damage you take, but how annoying the fighting is due to standard enemies blocking. The final boss fight of that stage was so boring. I will most likely enjoy the legend playthrough a lot more once I have unlocked better combat moves. 

I started my first ever Yakuza game with Zero last year and then Kiwami. I thought the 4 fighting styles form the off was the norm for this series. Then I played Kiwami 2 and heard that the combat and mechanics were taken from Yakuza 6. It wasn't as varied as Zero and Kiwami, but it was still decent. But Y3 is only a remaster and not a remake like the other games, so I guess the combat of this game is where it shows its age. 

Loving the story and substories as expected though. 

Edited by DaveMcDamage

21 hours ago, Jens said:

You can't. You can temporarily change the difficulty if you keep losing in a fight, but after that it gets reverted to Hard. So that stat is just counting how many times you've used that option and it'll most likely void your Hard playthrough.

For combat grappling got me through most of the early game. Once you unlock Tiger Drop you just need to learn how enemies react to a fully blocked combo and counter them down. Especially in the coliseum it saved me.

And actually I just killed Amon on "Hard" and I think that Premium Adventure really cuts the difficulty down. Enemies block WAY less than they used to in story mode. Believe me, I shat my pants as well thinking about fighting him on Hard, but it was no big deal whatsoever. Probably the fairest Amon fight I had yet.

Great info, cheers man. 

At the moment I am really struggling with the golf. Not just getting the shots right, but the mode is actually very broken. For example, I was on a 4 par I think and got the ball onto the fairway on my first shot so needed another to get on the putting green. Only problem though is that the golf club wouldn't change from putter and there was a sandbunker right in front of me. Gonna have to watch some vids on the tournaments, trophy requirement and the side mission against the company president. Also, and again its the gameplay showing its age, but darts is so horrible this time around. Its lime a much worse version of what featured in zero but was then hugely improved for Y6/Kiwami 2. 

Taking a break now to watch some vids on the mini-games. 

On 11.11.2019 at 3:54 PM, DaveMcDamage said:

Great info, cheers man. 

At the moment I am really struggling with the golf. Not just getting the shots right, but the mode is actually very broken. For example, I was on a 4 par I think and got the ball onto the fairway on my first shot so needed another to get on the putting green. Only problem though is that the golf club wouldn't change from putter and there was a sandbunker right in front of me. Gonna have to watch some vids on the tournaments, trophy requirement and the side mission against the company president. Also, and again its the gameplay showing its age, but darts is so horrible this time around. Its lime a much worse version of what featured in zero but was then hugely improved for Y6/Kiwami 2. 

Taking a break now to watch some vids on the mini-games. 

Dart was easy, once you know, that you should press the right stick just about 3/4 down (middle between full and Kiryu raising his hand).

Golf took me some tries, until I had a lucky Albatross (-3) and finished with -6. Putting sucks, also look at the percentage on the left side. If you aim at 200 yard (?) and have only 70%, then a good shot (a perfect one is a bit farer) only goes 140 yards. Also it's better to aim ~10 yards before the hole, so the ball will stop closer to it. I also adjust the spin a bit, depending on the wind.

I had most difficulties with Pool (took me 5 hours for Expert rotation, thanks to horizontal movement of the right stick) and baseball (3,5 hours for expert).

For baseball it helped me a lot to learn the velocities (fast, middle, slow) and to know, that the change of Kiryus movement shows the perfect moment for hitting. Also you should use some tape or so, to make a crosshair on your screen (with hitting the extra target, you still have to hit 17 of 20 balls).

For Pool I worked with a "ruler". If you connect the middle points of the white (when hitting the target) and your target, than you know, where your target one will roll. Also it's better to use less way of the right stick, due to mentioned horizontal movement of the stick after releasing it, so that Kiryu isn't able to do a straight shot (he didn't do that in the PS3 version, I read). You can also try to lead the stick back to neutral instead of releasing, but you have to be fast to trigger a shot and I don't get it every time, so I just tried that for longer and complicated shots. Also the AI do  (heavy) mistakes, but this is only 1 match out of 100, so just keep playing.

Now only the luck games remain for me, with mahjongg done (I first wanted to collect the cheat items for that).

Hope it's helpful and understandable, because english isn't my mother tongue :)

Edited by xXK-oZXx

2 hours ago, xXK-oZXx said:

Dart was easy, once you know, that you should press the right stick just about 3/4 down (middle between full and Kiryu raising his hand).

Golf took me some tries, until I had a lucky Albatross (-3) and finished with -6. Putting sucks, also look at the percentage on the left side. If you aim at 200 yard (?) and have only 70%, then a good shot (a perfect one is a bit farer) only goes 140 yards. Also it's better to aim ~10 yards before the hole, so the ball will stop closer to it. I also adjust the spin a bit, depending on the wind.

I had most difficulties with Pool (took me 5 hours for Expert rotation, thanks to horizontal movement of the right stick) and baseball (3,5 hours for expert).

For baseball it helped me a lot to learn the velocities (fast, middle, slow) and to know, that the change of Kiryus movement shows the perfect moment for hitting. Also you should use some tape or so, to make a crosshair on your screen (with hitting the extra target, you still have to hit 17 of 20 balls).

For Pool I worked with a "ruler". If you connect the middle points of the white (when hitting the target) and your target, than you know, where your target one will roll. Also it's better to use less way of the right stick, due to mentioned horizontal movement of the stick after releasing it, so that Kiryu isn't able to do a straight shot (he didn't do that in the PS3 version, I read). You can also try to lead the stick back to neutral instead of releasing, but you have to be fast to trigger a shot and I don't get it every time, so I just tried that for longer and complicated shots. Also the AI do  (heavy) mistakes, but this is only 1 match out of 100, so just keep playing.

Now only the luck games remain for me, with mahjongg done (I first wanted to collect the cheat items for that).

Hope it's helpful and understandable, because english isn't my mother tongue :)

Your English is fine mate. Probably better than most people who have English as their first language :D

Cheers for the tips man. I had a couple of goes at the golf tournament and on the 3rd attempt I actually got to the last hole with -4, but that final hole I screwed up every single shot. I did the president golf match and came first, so I will go back to that at some point. 

Yeah the pool is a bit nuts this time around, but again... its the age of the game. Everything from Zero to Kiwami 2 was done from scratch after years of development tries. Its no wonder the remaster trilogy was released in one bundle as it really does fail in almost every section when compared to zero and the later remakes. 

But my mine gripe is how crap the combat is on hard mode. Its like hard mode on the first Mass Effect game, is that the damage you taken wasn't unfiar, but the spamming of shield regens made the mode dull. The same goes for Yakuza 3 on hard mode. Yeah I get AI should block, but when it blocks 5-6 hits from you it makes for very tedious and boring gameplay, especially as most times you're outnumbered and the game mechanics for multiple opponent fighting is so badly done. 

I had a game of that shooting spaceship game. I got to level 74 and then ran out of time lol. Gutted but its not as horrible as Space Harrier or that side shooter from Zero. 

4 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Your English is fine mate. Probably better than most people who have English as their first language :D

Cheers for the tips man. I had a couple of goes at the golf tournament and on the 3rd attempt I actually got to the last hole with -4, but that final hole I screwed up every single shot. I did the president golf match and came first, so I will go back to that at some point. 

Yeah the pool is a bit nuts this time around, but again... its the age of the game. Everything from Zero to Kiwami 2 was done from scratch after years of development tries. Its no wonder the remaster trilogy was released in one bundle as it really does fail in almost every section when compared to zero and the later remakes. 

But my mine gripe is how crap the combat is on hard mode. Its like hard mode on the first Mass Effect game, is that the damage you taken wasn't unfiar, but the spamming of shield regens made the mode dull. The same goes for Yakuza 3 on hard mode. Yeah I get AI should block, but when it blocks 5-6 hits from you it makes for very tedious and boring gameplay, especially as most times you're outnumbered and the game mechanics for multiple opponent fighting is so badly done. 

I had a game of that shooting spaceship game. I got to level 74 and then ran out of time lol. Gutted but its not as horrible as Space Harrier or that side shooter from Zero. 

Thx :)

Yeah, just keep playing. One lucky shot can make a great difference.

Even the fights feels old, cause Kiryu seems to be much slower than in the "newer" games, former Beast style was slow, but felt more fluent. Also the walking animations of the children are very amusing xD

Yeah, all bosses and some normal enemies drives me crazy with their blocking (even on normal difficulty). Mostly I use this parrying move (Circle when they attack) or their combo to get behind them, to land some hits. Hope there is a good weapon for my 2nd and 3rd playthrough.

That arcade game took me a while, until I figured out, that it's really helpful to get straight to the right side at the begin of each round. Before that, I made it in 50+ attempts (I guess) to Level 41, with a lot of luck, mostly ended at Level 35.

First try after knowing that trick, I made it to Level 90.

But hey, I heard Yakuza 3 is the hardest one to get the platinum trophy :)

Edited by xXK-oZXx

12 hours ago, xXK-oZXx said:

Thx :)

But hey, I heard Yakuza 3 is the hardest one to get the platinum trophy :)

Yeah I can probably put that down to how the game as poor mechanics and high RNG. Yakuza Zero was bad for RNG, but the actual mini-game mechanics and controls were very well done. This time bad development and age are what probably make it a much tougher completion. But more important than that is the gameplay, and for me, Yakuza 3 is the worst of the series I have played so far which I am pretty gutted about. 

But I really want to 100% Kiryu's saga and so I will push on no matter what. 

As for the shooting game. Yeah I noticed going to the right as soon as they appear is a good tactic too. I think I took  about 15 down like that in less than a second, but screwed up at the end. Will try it at a later date. In the process of doing the sub-stories for chapter 5 which I do very much enjoy.

4 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Yeah I can probably put that down to how the game as poor mechanics and high RNG. Yakuza Zero was bad for RNG, but the actual mini-game mechanics and controls were very well done. This time bad development and age are what probably make it a much tougher completion. But more important than that is the gameplay, and for me, Yakuza 3 is the worst of the series I have played so far which I am pretty gutted about. 

But I really want to 100% Kiryu's saga and so I will push on no matter what. 

As for the shooting game. Yeah I noticed going to the right as soon as they appear is a good tactic too. I think I took  about 15 down like that in less than a second, but screwed up at the end. Will try it at a later date. In the process of doing the sub-stories for chapter 5 which I do very much enjoy.

Yep, the (sub)story is the best part of yakuza. After that there is only 4 and 5 left for me. Nearly I missed that franchise, but thanks to PS+ I got Kiwami for free :D

Some luck games for the minigame trophy took me some time (due to small stakes), but loosing chips during a session don't affect it in this part. In the other parts you had to quit after a win, to save that amount for completion. Just to give a little update for the minigame trophy (which I finally got! :D). Positive side effect was, that you can get a lot of platinum plates (150,000 ¥ each) for only 1500 tags, while I had about 120.000 tags (casino and gambling) at the end. (Only useful for the 10 Mio ¥ Trophy)

Also Yakuza 3 feels more grindy, than the other parts (can't say about 4 or 5), even with a 100% completion in most others (I just remember, that the weapon and gear search in 0 was grindy). But I heard 5 is the most time consuming of the saga.

Edited by xXK-oZXx

36 minutes ago, xXK-oZXx said:

Yep, the (sub)story is the best part of yakuza. After that there is only 4 and 5 left for me. Nearly I missed that franchise, but thanks to PS+ I got Kiwami for free :D

Some luck games for the minigame trophy took me some time (due to small stakes), but loosing chips during a session don't affect it in this part. In the other parts you had to quit after a win, to save that amount for completion. Just to give a little update for the minigame trophy (which I finally got! :D). Positive side effect was, that you can get a lot of platinum plates (150,000 ¥ each) for only 1500 tags, while I had about 120.000 tags (casino and gambling) at the end. (Only useful for the 10 Mio ¥ Trophy)

Also Yakuza 3 feels more grindy, than the other parts (can't say about 4 or 5), even with a 100% completion in most others (I just remember, that the weapon and gear search in 0 was grindy). But I heard 5 is the most time consuming of the saga.

Cheers man

Here's one for you....

I just completed the substory where you help beat the drunks for the taxi driver. I must have hit the car because he mentioned insurance claims and only gave me 5k. Then in the substory list it gave me a tick instead of a star for the completion. Do you know if this effects towards 100% because I may be screwed as I think I saved over that slot.

13 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

I just completed the substory where you help beat the drunks for the taxi driver. I must have hit the car because he mentioned insurance claims and only gave me 5k. Then in the substory list it gave me a tick instead of a star for the completion. Do you know if this effects towards 100% because I may be screwed as I think I saved over that slot.

It´s not a Problem. This only marks, that you could handle the Situation better. You didn´t Encounter the best Outcome of the substory but it has no effect of the Trophy (at least on the PS3)

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Inuty said:

It´s not a Problem. This only marks, that you could handle the Situation better. You didn´t Encounter the best Outcome of the substory but it has no effect of the Trophy (at least on the PS3)

I also read something like that. If you're unsure, look at the top of the substory screen. It should count to the xx/yy substories done (but also watch for open ones).

Cheers guys. 

Pretty gutted to be honest. It shows the car taking no damage and even after looking on gamefaqs they don't mention it. I pretty much rage quit when I discovered that and lost the diner dasher and finding the cat. Will go back to the game at some point. 

Also gonna try getting 200 on bowling but its a bitch to even get a strike. The pins in this game have the feel and physics of plastic pins instead of wood. Gah! 

1 hour ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Cheers guys. 

Pretty gutted to be honest. It shows the car taking no damage and even after looking on gamefaqs they don't mention it. I pretty much rage quit when I discovered that and lost the diner dasher and finding the cat. Will go back to the game at some point. 

Also gonna try getting 200 on bowling but its a bitch to even get a strike. The pins in this game have the feel and physics of plastic pins instead of wood. Gah! 

Yeah, there are different strategies for that, but only one of them worked for me (more or less).

Made an upload of my try. As you can see, there is one pin, which requires luck to fall, while using the crappy physic in it.

Edited by xXK-oZXx

4 hours ago, xXK-oZXx said:

Yeah, there are different strategies for that, but only one of them worked for me (more or less).

Made an upload of my try. As you can see, there is one pin, which requires luck to fall, while using the crappy physic in it.

Much appreciate you taking the time to do that man. Cheers. 

It didn't work for me mind, but at least I now have good reference to go against. 

Tried Baseball a moment ago and loved it. Throughout the entire Yakuza series, BB game is the only mini-game that requires and rewards skill. Even though I love Mahjong, its still the typical RNG heavy s**t. Just got to do hard mode and ex-hard and thats them done but the frikkin joypad ran out of battery lol. 

49 minutes ago, Narfi525 said:

You don't get a cursor for Ex-hard so the one you make takes it's place

Well I was checking the comments on a Youtube vid and I silently agreed with one users rage. Anyway I started a nomal mode and put a small square where the cursor is. Went to Ex mode and then got what everyone was talking about. Laughed my arse off at my own stupidity. For whatever reason I had it in my head that the cursor moves on its own and not the camera.... felt super stupid after that. 

Still failed as the slow pitches screw you up but I will get it in the end and I really do enjoy the mode. Bowling on the other hand though........ It makes me want to hurt kittens. 

2 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Well I was checking the comments on a Youtube vid and I silently agreed with one users rage. Anyway I started a nomal mode and put a small square where the cursor is. Went to Ex mode and then got what everyone was talking about. Laughed my arse off at my own stupidity. For whatever reason I had it in my head that the cursor moves on its own and not the camera.... felt super stupid after that. 

Still failed as the slow pitches screw you up but I will get it in the end and I really do enjoy the mode. Bowling on the other hand though........ It makes me want to hurt kittens. 

That's why I learned the velocities.

Fast

Very Slow

Middle

Middle

Fast

Slow

Fast

Very Slow

Normal

Fast

Very Slow

Normal

Normal

Normal

Fast

Normal

Fast

Fast

Normal

Fast

(If I remember correctly, you can also differ between very fast and fast). Also when I finished adjusting the marker, I watched the pitcher until he starts throwing. That gives me a feeling how much time I have to wait until I must hit.

I even tried the no-sound method from Kiwami 1, but had no luck with that, cause I did too much tries before that (with some nearly-successful ones).

But using no-sound from the beginning might be helpful for some people.

Important: Keep calm. When you start to get nervous, you'll fail. You can pause with options button or touchpad during a run. I personally trained the first 10 shots over and over, until I could constantly do 9 (and 10) out of 10 hits and then I tried improving the second half, until I did it.

Indeed.

I found another good tactic is to keep fast balls for the center cards, curve balls for the left and sinkers to the right. If you leave a curve ball for the right cards then its very hard to see the ball.

I managed to get 193 on bowling and almost ran to the nearest pet shop to punch a kitten in the balls. I would have done it if I hadn't messed up that last bowl and gave up using the spin. I tend to average 170 a game, so eventually I will do it. But wow do the physics on bowling suck. I actually hit a pin which caused it to land upside down and stay that way. Incredibly shit game development there.

Well I did the bowling mini-game and got some more stuff done. 

Just saved at the start of chapter 7. The story is awesome (albeit laughable writing in places for sub-stories) which is what Yakuza has always got right. But right from the first fight to the point I am at now, its just been total garbage in terms of gameplay. Because I started with Zero, the the Kiwami remakes I could never understand why the Yakuza saga was so unknown, especially as its an exclusive series, but if the remaster is basically how the rest of the games played then I can totally understand it. 

I unlocked the hitmen missions and again it shows how badly the gameplay was designed. All those moves at your hands yet the heat moves are now pointless, and the ai blocking is just total dogs**t for a gameplay experience. I truly hope Yakuza 4 isn't this awful. 

Also.

I take it you can do all the mini-games and stuff once the main story if finished? I want to try and get as many unlocked items as possible to finish off the tedious hitmen missions as well as the Amon fight, but would rather do it after the end credits if its possible?