The 2019-20 Let's Hate on Winter thread.

RadiantFlamberge

It's winter...  

41 members have voted

1. 1. so, how badly do you dislike it?

• 10+ (Your hate for winter knows no bounds!)
    • 7-9 (Strongly dislike)
    • 4-6 (Moderately dislike)
    • 1-3 (It's a nuisance)
    • 0 (For whatever crazyass reason, you actually like it)

No more denying it, fall has fallen and winter is here. Even if we haven't seen Thanksgiving yet.

I hate having to wear coats that magically pack on 20 pounds (or 16 on a good day), being smothered under 2+ extra layers, not being able to sleep with the window open to let in a little fresh air, getting zapped by static more often, the issues caused by snow/ice/frost, having to hit the ChapStick more often, and seeing it get dark as midnight at 6 PM. Not only is the air cold, it also smells like a whole lot of... NOTHING. Really bland.

Winter hats, scarves, and boots can be kinda stylish, but it's not long before I get sick of them. I prefer summer clothes.

No more bugs? I'll admit that to be one good thing, but it's far outweighed by the bad. Five months of this ahead...the rest of November, then December, January, February, March, rrrgh! That's far too long. If somehow winter stayed gone for good, would I miss it? Ha,ha,ha... Hell no!

What do you think? On the above poll question, I voted 10+.

Where I live (Santiago, Chile), winter is not as harsh as in other regions of the world. I dig it, since summer is way too hot here.

I'm also not troubled with the low temperatures, I'm way too comfortable with those, and If anything, you add another layer. Summer makes me want to tear my skin off.

Winters in Poland for the past couple of years are hot (as far as they can be). You wanna wear a hoodie and shorts to go out and buy something from your neighborhood shop? Go ahead, there's no snow and it's like 10*C. Yesterday I went to my university which is 2 KM away in a t-shirt and shorts because I forgot that I just made my laundry. It was refreshing  :).

I actually like winter and prefer it over summer. I have an outstanding cold resistence to the point that I can technically walk around in a shirt at 0°C and not feel much discomfort if it is not windy as hell, though people tend to stare at me then so I usually wear my thin jacket when it reaches around 5°C. Sadly the winter in germany has been very mild lately, with the average temperatures in most areas last year not even going under 0°C, barely any snow therefore too much rain. Even if it occasionally reaches the temperatures that I feel actually cold in, in winter you can easily wear another piece of clothing and not feel the temperature, you can easily shield yourself from cold wind too, only annoying part is the car windows freezing.

Summer however is a piece of shit, it has been getting hotter here each year with this year being a milestone of misery for me in that regard, as the increased resistence to cold also means I am somewhat less tolerant when it comes to enduring heat. The sun is always in my eyes, I am sweaty all the time, can't shed anymore clothes after a certain point if I feel too hot, I have to drink a hell of a lot more and basically it feels like the sun is literally trying to kill me by burning my skin away. Honestly the only upside I can see is that theres women running around nearly naked in very high temperatures, but that alone ain't worth it, not with the insane number of insects. Other people are in a good mood too while I suffer, when it hit above 40°C this summer for several days after it just rained before I felt like I was in the fucking jungle, and people around me had the nerve to act like this was a blessing. It is because of this that I hope for a record winter this year, let it be below -10° for the first time in years so they all suffer while I do not have to get out my thicker jacket, would be really fun to turn that around on them.

So yeah naturally I picked 0, I prefer winter over summer, though one of the more balanced seasons is of yourse even better. If the summer and winter get more fucked up around here in the following years, I might just have to flee to Scandinavia though.

Voted 0 since Fall/Winter is peak comfy and I get to choose how warm I want to be along with there hardly being any annoying bugs. Plus sunsets tend to look like this where I am.

D256_59_799_1200.jpg

Plus whenever it rains I don't normally have to worry about it being a thunderstorm that may or may not cause a power outage. And along with that, it's not a miserable swampy humid feeling afterwords. Plus I always feel like the summer heat makes people more miserable and irritable so I never understood why people complain about the cold when it always seems that the heat is much worse. So if voting for 0 makes me crazy then...

• Like 3

A big zero, since I actually like it. I deal with cold way better than with heat (you can always add clothes but you can't remove all clothes), romanian winters still function properly from time to time, my birthday is in the middle of it and walks through chill nights at 11 pm while snowing are 10/10

However sun sets way sooner than in summer so there's the nuisance. 

• Like 2

I hate air conditioning and I get to crank up the heat in winter, so... there’s my crazyass reason for not minding winter, especially when the sun is shining into the windows of my house. 

But I’d rather drive and crank up the music in the summer.

In Massachusetts it's a love/hate relationship. I do better in the cold than I do in the heat, but I fucking hate snow. Shoveling is a great exercise, but with recent surgeries it's harder and the cold wreaks havoc on my body. Great part? The only silence my neighborhood gets because it keeps the punk ass children inside. Chances of encountering crimes outside of theft go down too although theft goes up by a lot until it snows. (because nobody is trying to steal shit off your step with 5 feet of snow to trudge through lmfao)

I loved the winter back in Florida. In Orlando, I don't know about anywhere else, the people are just weak to the cold and I got many laughs at them dressing up like Eskimos when the temps reached 50-60 degrees F. Meanwhile I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt year round. Didn't actually own a pair of jeans until year 7 of living there. Unfortunately nobody wanted to play basketball or football in the winter though so it was boring at times lol. I also enjoy the feeling of an AC compared to heaters being on.

I will say I'm often told I'm crazy...but I find the summers here in MA to be far more muggy than I did in FL. Summers here you go outside and it's like trying to swim through the air. You're instantly covered in sweat and the air is just oppressive. Made me incredibly glad I started shaving my head earlier this year. In FL I found the heat to be more...dry? Think the difference between being in a pizza shop all day where it gets very uncomfortable as opposed to pointing a hair dryer at your arm. 

Voted 0, Winter is my favourite season. You can control your temp and sleep comfortably at night. It doesn't snow where I live but would still be ok if it did.

Summer is the worst as it often hits over 40°C (104°F) and the humidity is bullshit. Plus atm there's bushfires all around and the smoke is just great for my Asthma. So yeah give me Winter any day of the week.

• Like 1

I'm tired of Winter at this point.

When I was a kid it was fun because you could make snowmen, throw snowballs at other kids, slide down the snow in a sled, so on and so forth.

I live in what people call the 'Rainy State'. It gets very rainy here in the Pacific Northwest, and we tend to get rain a lot between September and March - April. However this year, perhaps due to global warming, we haven't gotten as much of that.

I despise the shitty daytime and long evening that comes with Winter. I've dealt with this my entire life. If I had the means and money to move to San Diego, California, I would do so in a heartbeat.

What's interesting to point out is I think the vast majority of you guys are European and are Caucasian. You guys are better in Scandinavian type weather where it's cold and dark a lot of the time. I have darker skin than a lot of you, mostly because I'm Mixed but I can handle hot weather better. I can handle hot California, Nevada and Arizona weather fairly well. Humidity, not so much, thankfully I don't live down South.

People with darker skin like me can't handle the lack of sunlight and the colder weather as well. That's just my view on it.

• Like 1

I love winter. I think that how cold it gets in Scotland is massively overhyped, because of the Gulf Stream bringing warm weather across the Atlantic from the Caribbean (I think, it might be Mexico), winter daytime temperatures usually hover around 1c - 5c (33f - 41c) and only a few degrees below freezing most nights. Which I know might sound horrifying to some people. It could be a lot worse, other cities on my latitude such as Moscow and Newfoundland have much harsher conditions in winter. 

I guess as well, I have a slight advantage as at work, I have to work in a giant freezer that's at least -18c (0f) for over two hours. I've done that for almost six years and I've become much more acclimatized to the cold. On the flipside, I absolutely cannot tolerate temperatures in summer to the point I try and keep my house heated in single digits if I can, unless I have guests. 

I'll admit the snow can be annoying. A couple of years ago it got so bad that I was stranded at work (I was downstairs and no one told me how bad it was getting outside). That night I spent over six hours walking a little over eight miles home through knee deep snow. Although I did get the next two days off with full pay...guess it was worth it :lol: 

Where I am in the northeast US, it is colder than Hel.....sinki at the moment. Yeah, Helsinki in Finland is actually 15 degrees warmer! Pretty sad. One day recently I had some rain that became snow as the day grew colder, but at least it didn't build up.

One more reason to hate Monday this coming week is that there's a winter storm in the forecast. The Weather Channel hasn't named it yet, but I bet they will call it Caleb. This year a couple of TWD character names made their list...  E is Ezekiel, H is Henry. Not just a coincidence, I'm sure.

My summers are (generally) not super hot, usually being in the mid 80s. I usually get a few 90+ outliers, usually 10 or fewer. If a summer day gets miserable for me, it's not from the heat- it's the humidity. Whenever the temp hits 90+, what keeps me going is that there's neither any snow nor any of the other cold weather bullshit. I'm never in any hurry to start fall.

7 hours ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

My summers are (generally) not super hot, usually being in the mid 80s. I usually get a few 90+ outliers, usually 10 or fewer. If a summer day gets miserable for me, it's not from the heat- it's the humidity. Whenever the temp hits 90+, what keeps me going is that there's neither any snow nor any of the other cold weather bullshit. I'm never in any hurry to start fall.

You guys on the East Coast get the humidity. It's rare for us on the West Coast to get it.

I absolutely hate high humidity. As someone who has been to California, Nevada and Arizona I can handle the heat. I've dealt with very hot heat in Las Vegas and Phoenix among other cities. But you throw in humidity in there, it gets absolutely miserable.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Reinachii- said:

And winter is terrible (too cold). The cold pierces the soul

Soul-piercing... now that is a really accurate way to describe the feeling of cold. Especially when the sky is that sick shade of gray, and even more if there's snow on the ground.

While winter's dew points are low, usually the relative humidity is over 75% and it can spike to over 80% too easily. Revolting, because it makes the winter air feel like cold slime. Yuck. ?

I wouldn't mind winter if Kentucky didn't use salt on the roads. Since we do, I have to put my daily driver up for winter...

ygK8t1U.jpg

...and drive my beater for the next few months. I actually enjoy the cold weather (though I prefer Autumn) but I just can't get over the salt. 

Parker

• Like 1

You'd have a bigger problem if they decided to be environmentally friendly and used beet juice instead..all it does is stain your car...the roads here are still horrible until Mother Nature fixes the problem...supposedly it lowers the freezing temp and makes the brine mixture more effective...so if that's the case, we have MASSIVE operator error in Missouri and ya'll just don't know what you're doing...

You want effectiveness...go to Utah...dem bitches KNOW how to keep a road clear...driving east on I-80...you got black pavement as far as you can see...or until you hit the Wyoming state line and then the road IMMEDIATELY goes to shit and you have 6 inches of cover on the road...