Save System/Storage (New saves don't seem to be overwriting old saves)

JayBizzle311

So I'm not sure if I stumbled on to something or not. But I haven't seen anyone mention anything about it. I tried to make a post on the Death Stranding subreddit but it got deleted by an auto-mod.

So the saves and the saves storing on the PS4 HDD under the Application Saved Data Management in the settings. It seems the game is STORING every single manual save, auto save and checkpoint save whenever they occur.

For example the game is not "overwriting" an old manual save when I create a "new" manual save.

I found this out when I went to upload my current save to the PS+ cloud storage. It proceeded to upload 34 individual save files (including saves of all types)

I'm not that far in the game and I just kind of feel like that is an abnormally HIGH amount of save files to already be stored on the system for one singular game.

I could be completely wrong and just hallucinating or something. But it's just a heads up. I know when it comes to HDD storage everyone has different habits and for some people every little MB counts.. So you might want to go to Application Saved Data Management and check out to see how many actual save files you have built up and get rid of the ones that are super old and no longer relevant to your playthrough.

Edited by JayBizzle311
typos

4 minutes ago, Sikutai said:

Yes, i uploaded my Saves to the Cloud too, and it took me minutes after 6 Hours of Gameplay! Will my HDD full with 500 GB Death Stranding Saves after 100 Hours?

It's very possible and that's what the main general point behind my post. I know for some people it could cause a headache. My best advice right now is to try and be aware of the "date/time" of your most recent saves and upload those (since they're the most current) and then you can delete all the excess/extra save files that are from hours or days ago.

Edited by JayBizzle311

Thank you very much for the information about this. I haven't started the game yet, but this is definitely an aspect I'll pay attention to when uploading the savegames. 

I hope this isn't regarded as off-topic, but from my point of view there's a "problem" connected to those games taking liberties with the number (not size) of savegames and I didn't see people talking about this on psnprofiles:

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2019/08/ps_plus_cloud_saves_are_restricted_to_1000_files

I've encountered this restriction myself. While still having lots of GB's of free space in the cloud, the number of saves uploaded by me amounted to 1000, rendering further uploads impossible which lead to the process of deleting old saves. 

It's not too much of a big deal given the fact that 1k is still a lot of saves, but the 100 GB of storage data would only be used up if for example every save was 100 MB in size instead of those (I think rather common) sizes like 3.15 MB. 

Edited by Bizzy_Montana_

1 hour ago, Bizzy_Montana_ said:

Thank you very much for the information about this. I haven't started the game yet, but this is definitely an aspect I'll pay attention to when uploading the savegames. 

I hope this isn't regarded as off-topic, but from my point of view there's a "problem" connected to those games taking liberties with the number (not size) of savegames and I didn't see people talking about this on psnprofiles:

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2019/08/ps_plus_cloud_saves_are_restricted_to_1000_files

I've encountered this restriction myself. While still having lots of GB's of free space in the cloud, the number of saves uploaded by me amounted to 1000, rendering further uploads impossible which lead to the process of deleting old saves. 

It's not too much of a big deal given the fact that 1k is still a lot of saves, but the 100 GB of storage data would only be used up if for example every save was 100 MB in size instead of those (I think rather common) sizes like 3.15 MB. 

Just 1000!? Hmm, maybe I should stop to upload my Ratalaika Game Files.

"Sony has told GameSpot that the save system's working as intended, so it's unclear whether a future patch might stop Death Stranding from creating so many frankly unnecessary autosaves. In the meantime, you may have to think about deleting them manually to keep things nice and tidy."

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2019/11/death_stranding_save_data_can_balloon_in_size_if_you_dont_keep_it_in_check

No idea why it's like that since they didn't give a reason, but it seems to be how it's meant to work.

Having just deleted 42 saves..., it appears it keeps a few auto saves but then starts overwriting them, the problem is saves flagged as checkpoint, as I still have those going back to my first orders.  I was up to 667MB of saves already and have only been playing for 14 hours.