BioWare hinting at new Mass Effect?

RadiantFlamberge

If there's a new Mass Effect...  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want it to be Andromeda 2, or a new saga?

• Mass Effect Andromeda 2.
    • Some other new ME saga.
    • I'll take either of the above.

https://segmentnext.com/2019/11/11/bioware-hinting-new-mass-effect/

Mass Effect Andromeda may have flopped, but nevertheless certain things are happening that would make you expect another installment. At the N7 Day convention, there has been some talk by BioWare developers mulling future possiblilities. No new trailers or announcements were made, but they have indeed asked the ME community what they'd like.

Would you like a Mass Effect Andromeda 2, or some new Mass Effect saga? Either would be fine for me.

Always down for more mass effect so I honestly don’t care where they decide to take it as long as the main focus is making a great single player rpg experience. Just make sure the writing is on par with the trilogy and take time to polish so it doesn’t have as much bugs as andromeda did at launch. I think people greatly exaggerated with andromeda, it has its flaws and isn’t anywhere near the countless amazing titles BioWare has created but it’s far from the terrible game people made it out to be. 

Edited by NaseemJohn

If they're are going to go ahead with a new Mass Effect, a change in the game engine is a must. Unreal would be better for RPG than Frostbite. I still have no idea what they were thinking of using Frostbite for DA:I and ME: A. I wouldn't say no to a return to the Shepard Saga, maybe with another character from another perspective? I know I would be interested in playing as Garrus or Wrex during the 2 years between ME1 and ME2.

• Like 1

I get why they did it, but the fact that there are so many interesting species in ME and I've always had to play as a human in SP still bothers me. I kinda wanna have it set up like DA is, where you had a new MC every game. So if we return to Andromeda I say we ditch Ryder as an MC, keep em as a cameo, and then let me play as a Krogan :D

That being said, though... I want DA4 more than I want anything ME related. The Inquisition cliffhanger was brutal.

Edited by MissShake
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, NaseemJohn said:

Very well done is an understatement, it easily has the best combat out of all the mass effect games. 

Andromeda was made by the same team responsible for Mass Effect 3's multiplayer which really explains why the combat is so good but unfortunately they sucked at everything else. I personally didn't find it to be the horrible game some made it out to be but it was still pretty mediocre compared to the original trilogy, even the first game. The Ryder siblings are flat protagonists, The story was a copy paste of the original trilogy, You have your long lost civilization, your unstoppable enemy that's genociding all life it comes across, ect. The crew was boring aside from Liam and this was the first game where I didn't bother with romance because Cora and Peebee were both annoying as hell

• Like 2

Bioware, a once great developer that was ruined by its parent company. No thanks. Their last good game was released in 2012 and there is no reason to have any kind of hope they'll return to form. This train has long departed.

Edited by El Duderino
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

Andromeda is underrated IMO. The combat is still very well done, and you can now use jumpjets. If there's one thing I'd change, it's that you can no longer tell your squadmates to use a certain power. Even then, the power combo system is good. The morality system is changed quite a bit, shying away from the original Paragon/Renegade system.

I think EA should've let BioWare use Unreal 4 instead of having them go with Frostbite. Frostbite isn't the most RPG friendly thing.

Other than the bugs that can be ironed out after the fact (even though they shouldn't be), the only glaring flaw Andromeda had was the atrocious writing. But for a series that became what it is due to the world building and characters, that is a major hiccup that absolutely can't be downplayed. If their writing team can't pull their shit together for the new outing they're better off not bothering with Mass Effect and using the engine and gameplay to start a new IP. The unfavourable comparisons to its predecessors would mostly hurt its outing in the long run.

• Like 1

I still need to go back and finish Andromeda. From what I did do, it seems like between that and Anthem, the gameplay itself is solid but the writing leaves a lot to be desired. 

Honestly, they would really need to revamp the way they've been going about this. Without a strong central character lead (like Shepard) it would be tough to sell another ME installment. 

Maybe a game set in the same universe but you complete the story through different races/character perspectives. I don't know, but that trilogy is still one of my deeper emotional investments in a video game series, for sure. I don't know if they can get back to that. 

Edited by GunfighterHefty
Words

Hopefully EA does not stoop to using the Anthem/Destiny "Game-as-a-Service" model for ME5. Who wants "Mass Effect Online"? I sure don't.

To avoid the stigma of "Andromeda 2", maybe they should make ME5 a new story arc with its own protagonist. Scott and Sara Ryder could appear in the game as NPCs who you would need to assist at some point.

• Like 1

Bioware is kinda void on employees atm, and Dragon Age 4 is the current project at that studio. Gamble is trying to get interest back in Mass Effect but your gonna wait a long while. EAs next plan is remaster the original trilogy for either late ps4 or early ps5, if that sells well thats when EA would greenlight. Your looking at 2023/2024 and by that point Bioware may not be a studio

3 hours ago, StingX2 said:

Your looking at 2023/2024 and by that point Bioware may not be a studio

EA's history of killing studios at will can't be ignored. If DA4 were to flop, that could possibly push EA over the edge and make them decide to pull the plug (Let's hope it doesn't come to that!).

I really want to see the Andromeda arc completed with another installment or two, but if they decide to go that way, there's a lot to prove to dispel the negative reception that MEA received. BioWare can do the gameplay, now they need to work on the writing.

• Like 1