Hunter777Merritt

Managing save game data questions.

4 posts in this topic

Please let me know if this is the wrong section. 

I'm moving my data from my ps4 to another ps4 because I'm giving one away, but I have a few questions. I went ahead and updated all save data for all my recent games and took everything from the system storage and uploaded them to the online storage. Why is there an online and system storage? From what I have read, online storage is a way of transferring data without using a USB stick right? Or just a more efficient and quicker way of transferring. What about USB because I have a 64 GB USB stick so should I transfer everything from the online storage to the system storage and then upload all the data from the system storage to the USB? 

I also wanna know if I should delete the save game data for all of the games I have completed just to save space. I would like your opinions and would like to know what you guys do every time you get a new ps4 and what you guys are going to do when you get the new PlayStation next year and maybe I can follow that.

Edited by Hunter777Merritt

27 minutes ago, Hunter777Merritt said:

Please let me know if this is the wrong section. 

I'm moving my data from my ps4 to another ps4 because I'm giving one away, but I have a few questions. I went ahead and updated all save data for all my recent games and took everything from the system storage and uploaded them to the online storage. Why is there an online and system storage? From what I have read, online storage is a way of transferring data without using a USB stick right? Or just a more efficient and quicker way of transferring. What about USB because I have a 64 GB USB stick so should I transfer everything from the online storage to the system storage and then upload all the data from the system storage to the USB? 

I also wanna know if I should delete the save game data for all of the games I have completed just to save space. I would like your opinions and would like to know what you guys do every time you get a new ps4 and what you guys are going to do when you get the new PlayStation next year and maybe I can follow that.

Online storage is just cloud storage. Puts your save on a server as a back-up or if you want to play your save on a different PS4. Transferring the save data from System Storage should be good enough. Since you aren't quite sure what online storage is, I doubt you ever used it. As far as deleting save data, I don't think you really have to since you can always put games on an external drive if you are running low on space. I have 100's of game saves on my Pro and it is only at 10.58GB.

Edited by skateak

1 minute ago, skateak said:

Online storage is just cloud storage. Puts your save on a server as a back-up or if you want to play your save on a different PS4. Transferring the save data from System Storage should be good enough. Since you aren't quite sure what it is, I doubt you ever used it. As far as deleting save data, I don't think you really have to since you can always put games on an external drive if you are running low on space. I have 100's of game saves on my Pro and it is only at 10.58GB.

Awesome. Thanks, man.

Just a 2cents. Deleting completed saves are bad anyways. Some games series give you extra in-game stuff for having previous game saves. but if you are going to delete on your console, just make sure to back them up online in case you play the series games.