wondering why sony can't do region changes

Pozri

Just thinking about playstation network and regions of accounts and wondering why we can't swap country with countries within same region such as EU or NA that have same content ID's?  mean only issues I can think of are as followed..

1. The NPID, being [email protected] for example. So region change would cause online data loss on some games but we get this with a name change now so that wouldn't be much different.

2. regional(language) downloads such as dlc and games on store, this is something that should be merge-able so shouldn't be a issue if we get paired with pal(x), ntsc and ntsc-j territories.

though if this was to be done properly to allow for content only released in a certain region then they would need a complete over haul to allow for old regional licenses and redirects or merge all regions but allow for store section and automatically direct to account regions store. This would also eliminate the need of second accounts. Though probably isn't possible while regions are all running mostly independent though from what sony has said they have centralized, which in terms should make it alot easier to make this happen. Honestly there is no reason that this couldn't work that I can see, but there is obviously more to it then what I think I know or it would already be a thing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Terarded said:

Incompetence most likely. This is such a basic and crucial feature that should have been included from the start and i can't think of any reasonable excuse beyond utter incompetence. It really grinds my gears.

might have something to do with licensing and profits. Not 100% sure but whole concept in long term shouldn't be too hard though I feel as though many would lose their jobs in order to make it a reality which wouldn't be good ether,

30 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

What would changing regions solve? The problem hasn’t been explained very well in the opening post. 

They want to stack easier or access to region/country specific titles...they don't say it, but we all know that's the whole point of the matter.

Image result for bitter man is bitter meme

Edited by PSXtreme_

33 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

What would changing regions solve? The problem hasn’t been explained very well in the opening post. 

Well, personally I created my account during the time that I was living in Finland. Afer a couple of years there I moved to Switzerland, and of course I closed my bank account in Finland. We don't even have the same currency here, so purchasing PS cards for the Finnish store is a bit of a hassle, and always tied to bad conversion rates. 

The solution is to make a Swiss account and purchase all my games there, and still play them on my Finnish account. That solves one problem that shouldn't exist in the first place, but I still need to get PS+ on my Finnish account if I wanna play online. 

It is inexplicable why country changes aren't allowed. Millions of people move between countries, it is the most normal thing nowadays. 

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 2

How is it "'cause lazy" when none of you even know limitations or restrictions these console makers are working with by region?

I'd imagine having to deal with China, Germany, and Australia alone would require 3 or more depreciated departments for a publisher. 

4 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

Well, personally I created my account during the time that I was living in Finland. Afer a couple of years there I moved to Switzerland, and of course I closed my bank account in Finland. We don't even have the same currency here, so purchasing PS cards for the Finnish store is a bit of a hassle, and always tied to bad conversion rates. 

The solution is to make a Swiss account and purchase all my games there, and still play them on my Finnish account. That solves one problem that shouldn't exist in the first place, but I still need to get PS+ on my Finnish account if I wanna play online. 

It is inexplicable why country changes aren't allowed. Millions of people move between countries, it is the most normal thing nowadays. 

Probably for the reason your said about the exchange rates being unfavorable and wanting to find a better ratio for you.

People would do that even if they weren't legal residents. Same with taxes, tons of gamers change their locations in order to avoid paying taxes on their digital purchases.

Sounds "cool" to a gamer but it isn't very legal.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

Probably for the reason your said about the exchange rates being unfavorable and wanting to find a better ratio for you.

People would do that even if they weren't legal residents. Same with taxes, tons of gamers change their locations in order to avoid paying taxes on their digital purchases.

Well in that case just tie the option to change your account country to verificating your residence in said country. It would be possible, as is with any other online subscription such as netflix, spotify or whatever you wanna name. 

The only online service I couldn't change countries when I moved was PSN. 

Edited by Arcesius

1 hour ago, Arcesius said:

I realize that Europe has differing laws on such things, but for me, I buy all of my stuff using a credit card which is tied to a bank with which I have no other connection. My credit card is perfectly valid when I go to Europe, and even gives me current exchange rates, with no additional fees (unlike, say, a bank which requires me to pay them to convert hard currency). In particular, were I to move, say, to Belgium, I see no reason why I couldn't use my American credit card on my American account.

But again, I know this problem will affect some people (e.g. those that might not have access to easy credit cards). But while millions of people certainly move between countries, a great number of them will move between countries with the same currency (EU countries, e.g.), and for those that don't, they will still retain objects that are universal (credit cards, e.g.). I don't think the problem you describe affects even a sizable minority of these moves.

7 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

I realize that Europe has differing laws on such things, but for me, I buy all of my stuff using a credit card which is tied to a bank with which I have no other connection. My credit card is perfectly valid when I go to Europe, and even gives me current exchange rates, with no additional fees (unlike, say, a bank which requires me to pay them to convert hard currency). In particular, were I to move, say, to Belgium, I see no reason why I couldn't use my American credit card on my American account.

Jup I use credit cards too. But for example, when I moved to Finland, I had to close my bank accounts in Switzerland (since I'm not a Swiss citizan and the law wouldn't let me keep one open), so I could not keep my credit card while living abroad. Now that I moved back, I also closed my bank account in Finland, thus I don't have my Finnish credit card anymore. 

And you need to have a credit card from the country of your PSN account, otherwise there would be no issue. I don't have a problem with my account being Finnish, I have a problem with none of my Swiss payment options working for that account :) My credit card works all over the world, but I still cannot use it with my account. 

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 3

Just now, Arcesius said:

Jup I use credit cards too. But for example, when I moved to Finland, I had to close my bank accounts in Switzerland (since I'm not a Swiss citizan and the law wouldn't let me keep one open), so I could not have kept my credit card while living abroad. Now that I moved back, I also closed my bank account in Finland, thus I don't have my Finnish credit card anymore. 

And you need to have a credit card from the country of your PSN account, otherwise there would be no issue. I don't have a problem with my account being Finnish, I have a problem with none of my Swiss payment options working for that account :) 

So, you can't keep your Finnish (is that a word?) credit card while living in Switzerland? 

Serious question, BTW - I have no idea. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

So, you can't keep your Finnish (is that a word?) credit card while living in Switzerland? 

Haha yeah it's a word :D

I could, and I did until it expired. But now I don't have an address in Finland anymore, so I couldn't renew it. Plus, I still would need to pay back the credit, which again results in bad conversion rates and consequently is the same as purchasing Finnish PSN cards. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Arcesius said:

This is what I mean, I don’t mind having multiple account, mean I have a China main land, Korean, Hong Kong, Japanese, French, UK, Spanish, Australian and few others I probably don’t need but buying cards for them is usually an extra 10 - 30% the value of the cards and gets quite expensive, but the biggest issue is my main account as I go between regions so it’s costing my a fortune and all my games are all over the place

5 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

Yeah, would recommend keeping any old region cards, helps with account security if account ever gets hacked, in case you deleted emails or something like that.

Edited by Pozri

7 hours ago, PSXtreme_ said:

They want to stack easier or access to region/country specific titles...they don't say it, but we all know that's the whole point of the matter.

Image result for bitter man is bitter meme

Nah, more so when moving counties as things get expensive if buying dlc with foreign cards due to sellers adding a percentage onto the rates, for example say a game is 4800¥ and pretend rate with Australia was exactly $1 - 100¥ The rate conversion will add an extra 0.XX - 2% depending on site which isn’t that bad but on top of that the 5000¥ card is going for say 60 - 70 USD which makes the card around 80 - 90AUD most the time after conventions and extra rate for sellers. Sometimes we get a half decent price but a lot of the time we are getting way over charged unless we get a friend to buy it for us. So the whole region thing for people who move a lot isn’t really ideal unless they are making enough money to burn or simply don’t care about saving