May be PS Vita 2 coming

Dav9834

A patent from Sony Interactive Entertainment about a cartridge was found. 

sony-playstation-game-cartridge.jpg

I can't imagine why Sony would patent a cartridge if they wernt going to use it. It's not exactly something I would see them doing unless they wanted to create confusion. 

I would say it's for a camera, if it wasn't patented by SIE and the same designer of the ps5 dev kit.

Very strange. But it seems legitimate as other sites have sourced it.

Perhaps we do in fact have a possibility of a Vita 2 on the far horizon. Or something that is an accessory to the ps5.

I suppose if it's ps5 related we'll find out in February. Or if it's a handheld then imo most likely in middle 2021 after the ps5 has been released for a little while.

-Or Sony's just trolling us.-

But I can't think of a reason to patent a cartridge when ps5 is already confirmed disc based, and they have no need to patent a cartridge design for far in the future use.

Time will tell! But I'd love another Vita!

Dutch site, right click translate to English/your language

https://nl.letsgodigital.org/spelcomputers-games/sony-playstation-game-cartridge/

• Like 2

The design patent entitled "Configuration applied to / in data recording and storage equipment"

It's simple...it's a new form of memory stick...a thumb drive accessory 

This theory is environmentally friendly. Animal testing was not used in the formation of this hypothesis nor were any additional greenhouse gases released...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PSXtreme_ said:

The design patent entitled "Configuration applied to / in data recording and storage equipment"

It's simple...it's a new form of memory stick...a thumb drive accessory 

This theory is environmentally friendly. Animal testing was not used in the formation of this hypothesis nor were any additional greenhouse gases released...

Exactly was my first thought.

And what I would believe if it came from a different division of Sony, but this was patented by Sony Interactive Entertainment by Yujin Morisawa "senior art director of Sony Interactive Entertainment. Morisawa is responsible for all products associated with the PlayStation brand."

So idk :hmm:

• Like 1

Corporations file dozens to hundreds of patents per year, often on things they have no intention of using, but to stop a competitor from using without licensing. Patents will also be written vaguely enough to apply to a wide swath of possibilities so as to stop a competitor from immediately identifying the intention and engineering directly around it.

How many patents have SIE filed in the last couple years? And how many have Yujin Morisawa filed? And how many have resembled anything that has come out of Sony since being filed? These answers would lend more credibility to the speculation, but it seems much ado about nothing at this point. 

Edited by DaivRules
  • Like 2

The Vita and the Switch already use those really tiny memory cards.

Why would a Vita 2 need a cartridge, something so big? Especially since digital download is slowly replacing even the memory cards. This is (sadly) almost certainly to do with the PS5.

1 hour ago, Dav9834 said:

I can't imagine why Sony would patent a cartridge if they wernt going to use it. It's not exactly something I would see them doing unless they wanted to create confusion. 

I would say it's for a camera, if it wasn't patented by SIE and the same designer of the ps5 dev kit.

Companies patent everything that can for legal and monetary reasons.  They may or may not use it but they want the legal means to claim the right to be the only ones to use it just in case the designs do get leaked.

Keep in mind you are only hearing about patents other people happen to find and not the completely list of things any company own the right to.

Edited by TJ_Solo

look at how small a 120GB card can be now-a-days you can get a mircoSD card that goes up to 256gb. So it would not be a stretch to see something like that. plus it would still be able to download from the card to the system like the blu-rays. But also as DaivRules it could just be a patent to prevent other companies from using it.

I'd like to believe it's a game cartridge for a Vita 2 with Nintendo Switch like hybrid playability, but I'm sure that's not it. Could this be something that plugs into a DualShock 5 for some reason? Or maybe a memory card made to put some smaller games on it if you'd like to take them with you to play on a friend's PS5?

If it is just a patent to stop other companies from using it... that's a bummer. I hoped something would come of it. ?

32 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Corporations file dozens to hundreds of patents per year, often on things they have no intention of using, but to stop a competitor from using without licensing.

9 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

Companies patent everything that can for legal and monetary reasons.

I guess some people already forgot about https://falloutfirst.com/

15 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

Why would a Vita 2 need a cartridge, something so big?

8 minutes ago, Void said:

look at how small a 120GB card can be now-a-days you can get a mircoSD card that goes up to 256gb.

Product Dimensions:   2.1 x 2.9 x 0.4 inches
Edited by Helyx

Would it make sense to patent something from the past for legal purposes?

Sony did work with Nintendo on a console back before the original PlayStation released.

Could it perhaps have something to do with that? I believe Sony split with Nintendo because they didn't

want to use the Cartridges but instead opted for their own technology which was the CD .

I couldn't see why they would patent such a thing so many years later though...

32 minutes ago, neospoon said:

Would it make sense to patent something from the past for legal purposes?

Sony did work with Nintendo on a console back before the original PlayStation released.

Could it perhaps have something to do with that? I believe Sony split with Nintendo because they didn't

want to use the Cartridges but instead opted for their own technology which was the CD .

I couldn't see why they would patent such a thing so many years later though...

You are partially right and backwards.

Sony, more exactly Ken Kutaragi, was hired by Nintendo to develop an add-on to the SNES for a CD drive. Nintendo gave away the world in a bad business deal w/ Sony and eventually pulled the plug for a different deal with Phillips. Sony then went ahead and fleshed out the design and the Play Station, as it was originally called during the SNES design phase, was officially born.

https://kotaku.com/the-weird-history-of-the-super-nes-cd-rom-nintendos-mo-1828860861

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, DarkSoleride said:

PSU has stated it seems to be for removable SSD storage for PS5 possibly

This makes sense because the ssd technology they're using is proprietary from what I remember to make it run as fast as they showed. If you wanted more of that fast proprietary storage space(instead of external drives only) they'd have to make an add-on.

Hmm I knew this was an economic flaw with their ssd when they announced it, so it seems this is likely their answer.

There's going to be one hell of an uproar when they announce the price of extra proprietary storage space that's all I know. And I doubt they'll drop that news in February and kill the hype.

They're saving this I expect when closer to launch. Or at least that's the wisest decision. 

Presuming that is what it is, but so far makes the most sense. For good or bad

12 minutes ago, Lightsp33d1987 said:

No more USB external HDD like the PS4 Sony will make their own cartridge SSD for PS5, Meaning they are one of a kind type of cartridge and the only way to upgrade your storage space on PS5 so Sony will charge us £300 for an extra 1TB 1f602.png1f602.png

No I think they'll keep the usb external drive option(it'd be a huge shot in the foot if they didn't). But for an increase storage of the proprietary internal ssd, yeah don't be surprised if it's pricey as all proprietary stuff is. Maybe not 300 for 1TB though. We can only speculate

10 hours ago, Dav9834 said:

Perhaps we do in fact have a possibility of a Vita 2 o

A handheld as good as PSP, and actually supported by Sony unlike Vita. Hell, if they allow SD cards, it would already be a huge plus. The Switch proves handhelds are not dead. 

I like my Switch well enough, but I'll always be a PlayStation fan. Would've been awesome having the Spyro Reignited trilogy on a Sony handheld (Switch sucked for playing it, imo)

Well, hopefully 2020 brings big news. 

10 hours ago, Helyx said:

A BC "Vita 2" that allowed multiple local accounts (like any regular current console) would be amazing.

Don't forget SD cards! A little bigger screen. Would be great. I don't mind paying more if the hardware's good enough for some ports, like Spyro/CTR, without having to use remote play. One account is one of the stupidest things Sony did with the Vita. Users shouldn't have to modify their consoles to get more storage, or use email mechanics to use other accounts. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ArmoredSnowman said:

Don't forget SD cards!

Oh yeah! Non-proprietary memory is a major factor, or at least make the shit affordable if you're going with a non-standard form factor.

1 minute ago, Helyx said:

Oh yeah! Non-proprietary memory is a major factor, or at least make the shit affordable if you're going with a non-standard form factor.

Thankfully most games are small in size, so my 16gb mem works for the most part. But RIP to anyone who tries to play Phantasy Star. 

2 hours ago, DarkSoleride said:

PSU has stated it seems to be for removable SSD storage for PS5 possibly

This was my first thought. Looks like my SanDisk SSD, only thicker.

This SSD thing is a strange selling point they were pushing earlier. But anyone can do a SSD upgrade. It's the first thing I did with my PS4.

• Like 1