What is the PS4 Lacking?

MarkGibbons

I'm not so sure that is true. One of the reasons the PlayStation 3 was so expensive was because of it's PS2 emulation and we know that the PS3 had a terrible launch in part because if its very high launch price. If the PS4 played PS3 games, it would basically need a PS3 inside of it as well as the PS4 hardware which would not only make it very expensive, they would have to make the console much bigger to deal with all the extra heat. In the grand scheme of things there aren't a whole lot of people who regularly use the backwards compatibility features on their consoles (except maybe if you're a Nintendo fan and have no other games to play) so it is better in the long run to get rid of the backwards compatibility and save everyone money. Plus, if it is anything like the 60gb launch PS3, the PS2 backwards compatibility wasn't nearly as good as actually playing the game on a PS2, which is one of the reasons I didn't mind losing backwards compatibility with the Slim models. 

Parker

I'm going to have to disagree with you on a few points...

The launch wasn't a failure because people didn't buy the units...there weren't any units left anywhere on day one. Unlike the PS2 launch, I had to wait 2 months after the launch to get my PS3 (only waited 3 weeks until I could buy a PS2 in the store). The amount of units produced was the reason for the low sales numbers.

Although "others" may not use the BC for previous generation games, I have noticed that since I've upgraded my PS3 from the 60 gig launch to the new superslim 500 gig, I haven't played ANY previous gen games because I have to jump systems back & forth.

The price of the launch PS3 wasn't an issue for me, mostly because everything was already included under the hood (You didn't need to buy the DVD HD system..the WiFi adapter, etc) unlike the PS2 (HDD/Network Adapter Add-on failure) or the 360. If you bought the stock 360 and then upgraded it to match the 60 gig PS3, it would have cost you more (don't forget to add in the online service charge).

edit...I would have to say in my experience, I didn't find ANY issues playing PSOne or PS2 software on my launch PS3...everything seemed to work just as well as my launch PS2 or the PS2 Slim.

Size...yep it would be bigger...AND heat WOULD be an issue...2 negatives that would probably cause higher system failure rates...but I'd sure like to just have 1 system to play them all... :(

Edited by PSXtreme_

I'd say the only thing PS4 is lacking is GTA V as a launch title, in fact that is the only thing holding me back from getting one at launch. Everything else seems great.

I'd definitely re-purchase GTAV for the PlayStation 4 if Rockstar developed a version for it and I think many others would join me. They haven't announced a PC port yet, right? Maybe they will announce a PC & next gen console version later this year since the PS4, Xbone and PC are supposedly all similar to develop for. 

Parker

->Camera connected through AUX at the back of the console

I really, really hope you're right! 

This was confimed multiple times, I think even during the official (E3) launch event. The PS4 Camera uses the AUX port.

(this is at the same time a pro: a free usb port, and a con: can't use it like a PC webcam like you could the PS3 Eye)

(another Pro/Con - through there are confliction rumors, most suggest that the PS4 WILL have an AV output. As we already got to see the back of the PS4, the only valiable option for the AV out is, again, the AUX port. This gives us 2 problems:

-people with old TVs: either use the camera, or use a screen. :P

-AUDIO, and, more importantly, surround systems. A lot of them have optical TOSLINK connectors... But the cheaper (and more common?) ones use RCA... (which is the AV/AUX-port). Again, the problem arises - either use the sound system, or connect the camera. (Or, double the problem when you have a surround system with an old TV)

I would give a 28 day online subscription to Plus with every PS4 sold. After all they give away lots of free month vouchers with games....

I agree, this would give them A LOT more people interested in PS+, as they'd get to experience it (for free) and the temptation to get access to the previosuly aquired games.

PS: I expect DriveClub day 1 retail sales to be quite low, since it was announced that it was coming with PS+. I wonder what the + version is lacking, that makes the retail version worth it...

IR port.  If I'm gonna have to shell out another $60 on Blue-tooth to IR adapter for the universal remote, I'll be seriously pissed.

First:

PS3 (from slim and up) supports "control through HDMI" (idk what the general name of the function is called). This is a little awesome function that:

1. automatically turns on your tv and puts it on correct input when you turn on your PS3

2. lets you control your PS3 (XMB n stuff) with your TV (in your case universal) remote.

I think that it wouldn't be too farfetched to assume and think/hope that the PS4 will support this function as well.

EDIT: small grammar/spelling corrections and sentence contruction.

Edited by ElfenSky

I wonder what the + version is lacking, that makes the retail version worth it...

The only difference between DriveClub and Driveclub PS+ Edition is cars. There are several vids online where Evolution staff state this.

Apparently the PS+ version will have between 6 and 12 cars to use (depending on were you read it) and the disk edition obviously comes with many more motors.

Obviously this means that there will be Day One dlc for the PS+ Ed. as who wants to be limited to so few motors in a driving game...

• Like 1