DualShock4 and PC - I am so confused

RachelCharlotte

I wanted to play Cuphead with a controller, so I looked for a USB cable, plugged my DS4 in and to my surprise I could start right away. That controller is now used by my brother and I thought 'No problem, there are two more controllers'. Seeing how they are the newer models (most importantly with a left analogue stick that still resembles the original state instead of pieces coming off) I thought they would work just as well.

But, no. For some reason, when I plug either of them in, all that seems to work is the audio on that controller. I also tried connecting them via Bluetooth, but my laptop won't find them...

So: Is there something wrong with the newer model in general or is there just an additional trick to it that I can't see at the moment?

DS4 has native support on windows 10. I use mine all the time and switch between controllers often. What you can try is first restart your PC if you haven't already. Another thing is to go into device manager, lookup if you can find your PS4 controller there and update drivers or/and uninstall - reinstall the driver. If you're playing cuphead through steam, it might be better to first enable big picture on steam as some games wont recognize controllers without going into big picture mode first.

Edited by xZoneHunter

DS4 doesn't exactly work right away for me.

If you have Steam turned on it will set it up properly, and you can play all your games on it fine.

For situations where doesn't that work, I use DS4Windows.

btw, if you have a Bluetooth connector on your PC, you can set it to work with that instead of having to use cables.

Some games/software support DirectInput controllers (DualShock4), some don't. Windows has native support for XInput controllers and typically detects DS4 as an audio device so you may have to fiddle around with audio device settings. 

Steam offers support for DS4 and many other controllers so the controller should work for most games via Steam or by using other XInput wrapper software. 

If you play on PC a lot it's worth getting a Wireless Xbox One controller which has native support on Windows 10. Just plug and play.

10 hours ago, xZoneHunter said:

If you're playing cuphead through steam, it might be better to first enable big picture on steam as some games wont recognize controllers without going into big picture mode first.

I bought the game for Xbox One when I had one, but there are some steam games I'll try out with the DS4.

10 hours ago, DesmaBR said:

btw, if you have a Bluetooth connector on your PC, you can set it to work with that instead of having to use cables.

I was thinking about Bluetooth, but wouldn't I have to go through a lengthy process then every time I want to switch from my PC to my PS4 or back?

1 hour ago, Eyjabria said:

If you play on PC a lot it's worth getting a Wireless Xbox One controller which has native support on Windows 10. Just plug and play.

I was surprised to see that Cuphead runs on my new laptop, maybe I'll use it for games more often in the future - in that case an Xbox controller might be worth a look.

11 hours ago, RachelCharlotte said:

I was thinking about Bluetooth, but wouldn't I have to go through a lengthy process then every time I want to switch from my PC to my PS4 or back?

After syncing to your PC via bluetooth, to sync back to your PS4 you just turned the controller on while it's plugged in to your PS4 via cable.

Then, you'll have to do the sync process again if you wanna go back to the PC