Why do 'new' games have so few owners?

16 minutes ago, Otonio_Bruno said:

Since some 'complained' that unregistered users aren't getting updates, let me share some knowledge on the matter: Most of those 4 million accounts tracked here were from back when PSN not only allowed to pull data from any profile entered in the search bar but also any all friend's profile from that profile. But then PSN changed it's privacy policy and demanded that no friend's info would be pulled from PSN/Sony servers without consentment, and Sly had to oblige to that.

It has been many years since that happened. It doesn't make much sense to keep updating such old accounts since it both requires a lot of data traffic to go through, but also might block any access PSNP has to PSN servers (AFAIK PSN block requests if they are a huge amount in a short time). There is also the fact that pulling trophy data from PSN isn't always easy as some people might believe, Sly has commented many times how he has to adapt to how he pull data from there since Sony keeping changing PSN infraestructure.

On top of that, there is the PSN ID change which does a big number of tricks when tracking the old and new profiles and that still give some problems around.

So, unregistered users should remain unupdated really unless something new comes on that allows to pull data from PSN without any worry and at very low 'cost'. Registered members though do need to get auto-updated, even if only once a week (Profiles that hadn't logged in years) and Sly should do something about it if auto-update isn't working properly for those.

Fancy meeting you here buddy! Do you have a PS4 yet?

55 minutes ago, Otonio_Bruno said:

Since some 'complained' that unregistered users aren't getting updates, let me share some knowledge on the matter: Most of those 4 million accounts tracked here were from back when PSN not only allowed to pull data from any profile entered in the search bar but also any all friend's profile from that profile. But then PSN changed it's privacy policy and demanded that no friend's info would be pulled from PSN/Sony servers without consentment, and Sly had to oblige to that.

It has been many years since that happened. It doesn't make much sense to keep updating such old accounts since it both requires a lot of data traffic to go through, but also might block any access PSNP has to PSN servers (AFAIK PSN block requests if they are a huge amount in a short time). There is also the fact that pulling trophy data from PSN isn't always easy as some people might believe, Sly has commented many times how he has to adapt to how he pull data from there since Sony keeping changing PSN infraestructure.

On top of that, there is the PSN ID change which does a big number of tricks when tracking the old and new profiles and that still give some problems around.

So, unregistered users should remain unupdated really unless something new comes on that allows to pull data from PSN without any worry and at very low 'cost'. Registered members though do need to get auto-updated, even if only once a week (Profiles that hadn't logged in years) and Sly should do something about it if auto-update isn't working properly for those.

Thats absolutely fine, I'm all for it, but then these profiles should be removed from the database not just left un-updated. It's one or the other not this in between situation

Edited by Cleggworth
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Otonio_Bruno said:

But what about all the registered users who don't get updated? It's almost guaranteed that if I manually update the person below me on the leaderboard they jump above me showing new trophies earned just recently. It seems if registered users don't log in after a while their accounts stop being updated.

7 minutes ago, thefourfoldroot said:

It seems if registered users don't log in after a while their accounts stop being updated.

Only registered users who haven't had any profile changes for several updates are supposed to stop updating. If a profile didn't earn any trophies for 2+ months (I don't know if that's the actual timeframe), then continuing to that profile is a waste of resources.

2 hours ago, DaivRules said:

Only registered users who haven't had any profile changes for several updates are supposed to stop updating. If a profile didn't earn any trophies for 2+ months (I don't know if that's the actual timeframe), then continuing to that profile is a waste of resources.

So just do a full batch slowly update on everyone over the course of a year idk. Wacky numbers are embarrassing. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Otonio_Bruno said:

This is so completely incorrect lol. 

That change happened all the way back in early 2013 lmao. The site didn't even have a million users registered then. 

3 million+ users have been added to the site throughout the past 6 years since. 

Sly turned off auto updating for unregistered accounts due to the PSN name change stuff effecting the tracking. He said he'll turn it back on when Sony finalises their name change stuff. It's been months since. No clue when it's gonna be turned back on. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DaivRules said:

Let's update a random profile that hasn't been updated in a while - crazyguy04 - last trophy apparently the 12 of may. Just updated him, and see he plays consistently, earning trophies every month until September, no update during that period. So that's at least 4 months with no auto update. 

Registered users who don't log in do not get auto-updated.  And it's not after a period of months, this guy earned trophies consistently every month for 4 months with no update.

This site only tracks users who log in now, it has nothing to do with what actually happens on their ps profile.

6 hours ago, DaivRules said:

Yes, that’s why I used the phrase “supposed to” in response to the current observations. 

Oh right, didn't seem like you were agreeing that it doesn't, but absolutely should, update. Must have read your comment incorrectly.

I just use the site to keep track of my own trophies. It's useless as anything else now (not that I ever cared much about leaderboards, completions etc, as you can see from my profile).

38 minutes ago, DEI2EK said:

it's kind of fun going through the leaderboards updating random people's profiles and see how far ahead they jump

ive updated quite a few and a lot of them seem to gain anywhere from 10k to 30k points from their last update

I do the same, 5 a day, using a RNG. I even keep a table where I log in country, level, and last game played.

Why? I don't know. I don't have OCD, but I find making pointless lists relaxing.

(Also, I can confirm most haven't been updated in years - and quite a few are now private.)

Random findings:

-About a third of users are Americans, followed by Brits and Japanese at 8 and 7%.

-There's roughly 11% of the accounts that are now private, and spikes around lvl 5 (10%) and 12 (8%) for reasons unknown.

-Call of Duty and FIFA rule the day as series, Apex Legends and Grand Theft Auto V as individual games.

Edited by visighost
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, thefourfoldroot said:

Maybe we should organise a Player Update Day. We all update the 30 players below us manually. Sure there will be a lot of overlap but it'll make it unlikely many will be missed.

You have no idea how close I was to suggest something like that a few hours ago :)

Actually, we could do it in a semi organised way, for example by deciding through a - Framasoft or whatnot - online sheet who would take which page in the LB, and manually updating the 50 profiles on said page over a given day, then switching to the next one depending on how many volunteers we got. And then slowly going through.

Main issues I identify are:

- finding enough people that care enough to do that. I mean, let's face it, grinding is already boring in a game we love, we're talking here about grinding for a leaderboard few people really care about that much

- we should be wary of not overdoing it (way to hell being paved with good intentions and all that) and risking this website being banned by Sony for having far too many requests

- unless we get a shitload of persons to do it, updating 72k+ pages would take a few years, unless we get 200 highly motivated members that don't miss a day (rather unlikely).

I'm far from convinced myself, but at least it's food for thought.

Edited by KennethMcCormick
Sp
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, KennethMcCormick said:

Main issues I identify are:- we should be wary of not overdoing it (way to hell being paved with good intentions and all that) and risking this website being banned by Sony for having far too many requests

I did that a few times last year (50 or so a day) and I got swiftly blocked from updating anything by this very site. If this goes forward, it will have to be with the admins' blessing or we'll just end up getting all our accounts frozen.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, visighost said:

I did that a few times last year (50 or so a day) and I got swiftly blocked from updating anything by this very site. If this goes forward, it will have to be with the admins' blessing or we'll just end up getting all our accounts frozen.

Okay, didn't know that. Like I said, I only tried it with something like between a dozen and twenty.

Scratch that, then. :)