What new game franchise/series did you discover this year?

Fabrago

Gave games from The Witcher and BioShock series a chance this year, but neither have become my favorite in anything. I don't know if I should count The Witcher 3 as being eligible for this one, for myself at least, since without playing the first 2 it would be tough to give a full opinion on story/lore-wise.

As for BioShock...I haven't played Infinite yet but I probably wouldn't group it with 1 and 2 if it has nothing to do with them. (because of the setting) Good games for sure but again...not favorites.

Wouldn't mind a topic like this every year, as I typically get into at least one new series every year, and as of the OP, ended up liking enough or loving.

God Eater, Mad Max, Yooka-Laylee, and i'm going to throw Spyro the original yet also remastered trilogy in there, even though I played some of his original trilogy back on PS1.

God Eater and Mad Max (which also motivated me to check out the awesome movie franchise with the same name) are incredible.

Yooka-Laylee is fairly good... and the sequel that I haven't played yet is supposedly better, being positively compared to that of the highly popular Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, so I clearly have that to also look forward to soon.

Then there's Spyro, which I'd have to consider a "rediscovery" but one so big it's not too far off from a fully new discovery. The Spyro Reignited Trilogy made it clear how much I had forgotten, with me having been unfamiliar with at least 80% of the trilogy. However, the relationship is complicated.. a love/hate one of sorts, because of some stupid design choices gameplay wise (things with the metroidvania aspect, orb missions, etc) and presentation wise with S2 and S3, but I still primarily enjoyed my revisit through the trilogy because of the good qualities. Now, the fact that Bianca, the best girl in the series, is voiced by the same person who voices Clementine from The Walking Dead has only made the series easier to like ;).

I regret not playing all of these games the year they actually came out, especially the ones that are many years old :\. Having looked at Black Friday's deals, there is already more to come, too.

Edited by EcoShifter

I discovered the Trails of Cold Steel series because @Undead Wolf relentlessly bullied me to play it showed me why it was a good game and I really wound up enjoying it especially since I'm not too much into turn-based JRPGs. I've played the first two so far and I can't wait to play the third one.

I guess you could also say I discovered Borderlands too but I did play Borderlands 2 a long time ago but since I didn't really have anyone to play it with I didn't really like it all that much and didn't find it as fun. I did play the remastered version of the first one and I didn't feel like it lived up to the hype.

• Like 2

Hmm, I suppose I could say that I got into the Devil May Cry series this year, at least the "proper" titles. I played that edgy reboot by Ninja Theory a few years back and it was fine, but it doesn't really count. :P I finished both DMC1 and DMC2 so far this year and intend on starting DMC3 soon. Loved the 1st game, wasn't so hot on the 2nd game, but I know the series gets really good with the 3rd entry, so I look forward to it. ^_^

• Like 2

Utawarerumono, I loved the art but I finally got around to buying the games this year and (slowly) managing to make my way through the first title.
I got Zan on the side and platinum'd that, thought it was okay for a musou spin-off by Tamsoft but probably one of their meh titles. 
Looking forward to playing the third game when I eventually finish Mask of Deception. Then the waiting begins with the remake of the first game in 2020