Munchkin game!? (DO NOT BUY)

Helyx

Don't buy this game. Half the trophies are glitched and the developer (Asmodee Digital) have shown no interest in fixing any of the issues. I've been reporting bugs for six months and I can honestly say this is the worst purchase I've made of any kind in a decade. Don't support Asmodee Digital, and if you have a spine, you wont support their table-top parent company Asmodee.

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/10006-munchkin-quacked-quest

It seems even Munchkin (card game) is making it's way to PS4. I've loved playing the physical card game for many many years and I'm really excited to see a video game.

This is set to release today (November 19th), and as far as I can tell, it's local co-op only. 

Edited by Helyx
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

I've never heard of Munchkin. Is it a game like Magic?

It's basically a parody of Dungeons & Dragons, although there are several different versions released these days with different themes. It's a cardbased dungeon crawl with silly monsters and equipment. Some examples:

300px-Net_troll.jpgMunchkin_Whine.jpgs-l300.jpg

This could be a fun game, especially since there's co-op. 

Edited by SinisterPledge
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

I've never heard of Munchkin. Is it a game like Magic?

Similar in that it's a card game, but other than that it's completely different. All the cards required to play come in a single box (but there's dozens of standalone expansions that can be combined with any other sets). There's no resource management (lands/mana) and the rules are very basic and forgiving even to the point where you're given the option to make your own house rules if it floats your boat.

As for this video game, I'm not sure if any of the actual gameplay will translate over, but I love twin-stick isometric games and looters, so Munchkin is definitely on my radar. Can't believe I didn't see any announcements for it this year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Helyx said:

This is set to release today (November 19th), and as far as I can tell, it's local co-op only. :(

EDIT: NA PSN Store link: https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP4744-CUSA16657_00-MUNCHKIN00000000

The info in the website:

Type: Action, Casual, Independant, RPG

Modes: Solo, Multiplayer, Local Multiplayer, Cooperation, Local Cooperation

Number of players: 1 to 4

2 minutes ago, re_panos said:

Steam reviews say that the game itself isn't bad, but there is no online co-op

It looks very much like Magicka 2 and Fat Princess Adventures (both of which I loved), but having couch co-op only is a real blunder and makes me wonder why the price is so steep even with the Munchkin license.

15 hours ago, Helyx said:

It looks very much like Magicka 2 and Fat Princess Adventures (both of which I loved), but having couch co-op only is a real blunder and makes me wonder why the price is so steep even with the Munchkin license.

If it had online co-op the price would be justified. But yeah, you are absolutely right. The developers seem kinda lazy. PC users complain about the keyboard mappings, and instead of letting them make custom keybindings, an official reply from a developer was "just use a controller". I might get it if it goes on sale in the future for 5 euros or something (and I will certainly buy it if they add online co-op)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, re_panos said:

I might get it if it goes on sale

It's an ok game, but it definitely needs a patch. No custom key mapping, shitty frame rate, terrible camera tracking, random crashing and to top it all off, the trophies aren't accurately tracking my progress.

I have 8 "cards" left to collect, but I haven't gotten the trophy for collecting half of the cards yet. I've use (what I assume to be) each "type" of weapon in a single run but no trophy there either. I've used all consumables...no trophy.

I let my love of Steve Jackson's Munchkin sway my wallet with this purchase, and I gotta say, I'm let down. This is why I stopped buying new games a few years ago, and this just confirms my original actions.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Helyx said:

It's an ok game, but it definitely needs a patch. No custom key mapping, shitty frame rate, terrible camera tracking, random crashing and to top it all off, the trophies aren't accurately tracking my progress.

I have 8 "cards" left to collect, but I haven't gotten the trophy for collecting half of the cards yet. I've use (what I assume to be) each "type" of weapon in a single run but no trophy there either. I've used all consumables...no trophy.

I let my love of Steve Jackson's Munchkin sway my wallet with this purchase, and I gotta say, I'm let down. This is why I stopped buying new games a few years ago, and this just confirms my original actions.

We thank you for your service to the trophy hunting community in buying this new game and warning us that it is released in a poor state. ? Someone has to bite the bullet.

Will possibly get this on a sale if they fix the issues you've brought up.

Do you feel like the Munchkin humor is present in the game or is it not that noticeable?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SinisterPledge said:

Do you feel like the Munchkin humor is present in the game or is it not that noticeable?

Yes, especially if you read the flavor text on the item cards. The announcer can be a bit tiresome, but you can turn that off. Otherwise, the whole "grab the loot, stab your buddy" ideology from the real card game is present and very much alive in Quacked Quest.

EDIT: After collecting all the cards, neither trophies have unlocked. Using all consumables seems glitched, as well as using "each weapon type". I tried setting a 1-hour dungeon match in an attempt to use each and every item in the game during a single dungeon run, but around Room 40 it crashed and I'm back to square one with no idea how to fix them.

For the "Full Epic card dungeon", you need 1 epic for the 4 dungeon "rule" cards (Modifiers, Combat, Layout, Boss), but there's no "Epic" card for the Layout, so this may be flat-out unobtainable without a patch.

@astrallight@LindhojjHave you had any issues with the game and/or trophies?

Edited by Helyx
  • Like 1

I reached out to Asmodee's support team and am awaiting a reply. If anyone else has any bugs to report, here's their contact page: Asmodee Digital Support

Spoiler

I originally played with AI-bots for an hour or two, but then tried some real 4-player action with my friends (they each signed into PSN under their own respective accounts). After this point, progress tracking seemed to stop, even when going back to solo play.

Besides the framerate issues with large mobs, the camera not tracking P1 during a bot match, and the crashing, will there be any plans to fix the trophies as well?

I have all the cards unlocked, but neither trophy for half or all has unlocked. The kills with The Pit don't seem to count either, as I've done 50+ on a single floor. For using 4 "Epic" foiled cards in the Dungeon, there doesn't seem to be an epic card for the Layout Flavors.

I've used every consumable item in the game, with no trophy earned. The trophy for using all "weapon types" in a dungeon run...is that EVERY weapon, or only major types? Would a dagger, a spear, and a rat on a stick be in the same weapon type (stabby)?

Any plans on making the RNG a little more forgiving, or better yet adding an option for CUSTOM dungeons? Maybe the ability to remap the Take/Sell function on items to the L2/R2 triggers.

Of course, after sending detailed error reports and all that, I deleted my save file and started fresh and two of the trophies have since unlocked.

I'm not sure exactly what I did differently this time around that worked, but I never changed the dungeon timer (leave at 8:00), and only play with AI-bots, no local P2-P4. It could be possible to use Guest accounts for P2-P4 and not glitch the trophies, because I think it's due to other accounts being logged in while playing. There's similar issues with cross-platform play on XB1/PC, so it seems worth mentioning, as this could be the primary issue.

Edited by Helyx
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lindhojj said:

Yeps, same issues for me.

If you only play with bots, it seems like you can get some of the trophies to still unlock. Having trouble with several others, so there's hopefully a patch on the way. Thanks for the reply.

On 11/20/2019 at 2:10 PM, Helyx said:

It still stinks when it happens. Last time for me was Persona dancing collection. What a piece of crap.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2019 at 11:57 AM, starcrunch061 said:

What a piece of crap.

The longer I play, the more issues I find. Graphical glitches and general AI-stupidity aside, I'm sitting at the end-of-dungeon screen and the P4 bot isn't here. The game wont progress without a 4th munchkin present at the final score screen, so I just wasted 20 minutes on this dungeon and the worst part is, I wont get to choose a card to add to the dungeon system. Not that it matters, since even when you have them all, you wont get a trophy.

Speaking of cards, the epic "Foiled" card for a dungeon layout is definitely missing, so the best you can hope for through the current RNG is three of the four foiled cards. Occasionally, you'll be unable to complete the objective for the current room. Like getting all the ducks, but one of them is glitched into the exit door which won't open until all the ducks have been collected.

@Lindhojj When you earned your trophy for Feeding the Pit 25 times, was it the same pit or did you do it across several different pits? Was it only the red pit with the ghosts floating out of it, or did any pit work? Also, for defeating all four bosses, did you need to land the final hit for it to count? Do you remember if your mission was to Maim, Survive or Kill the boss?

Edited by Helyx
  • Like 1

The pit one was in different pits. I played an hour long game (takes 2hours because of the timer stops when the objective is completed) and in the last 30mins a lot of the pit levels appeared. As for the bosses i dont know. The bosses are: Dragon,Chicken,Skeleton and the plant in a pot. By the time i got all the cards i had the boss killer trophy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lindhojj said:

The pit one was in different pits. I played an hour long game (takes 2hours because of the timer stops when the objective is completed) and in the last 30mins a lot of the pit levels appeared. As for the bosses i dont know. The bosses are: Dragon,Chicken,Skeleton and the plant in a pot. By the time i got all the cards i had the boss killer trophy.

I've tried to get the Pit trophy and the boss slayer trophy on four different save files, with no luck. It seems like these trophies need to be done in one go without exiting the game or having it crash. For now, I've given up on the game until Asmodee makes an official statement to the community, but they've been fairly quiet.

Thanks for the reply, and if you are able to get any of the other trophies to unlock, could you post here to let everyone know how you got it to work?

Edited by Helyx

2 minutes ago, Lindhojj said:

I will, but i dont think im gonna touch it again until the game is "fIxed"

I may tinker with it some over the holidays, but I'm mostly waiting for a patch.

Did you play with AI-bots during your 1-hour dungeon, or did you use multiple local controllers?

Asmodee have patched the game to address the crashing issues. Current version is v1.02.

No word on trophy fixes or the addition of the missing game assets (foil card for Layout Flavor). If anyone is able to unlock any new trophies, post to let us know the update is working for you.

• 3 weeks later...

A month after release, and this game is still a broken mess. Asmodee Digital has been silent about whether a patch that actually fixes issues across any of the platforms is coming. Do yourselves a favor and avoid this game even if it gets fixed.