Keep running out of bandwidth for zipline network

Radford999

I’m going for all 5 stars in all facilities so i thought i would start on the first map and create a zipline network to make it faster. But the problem is i just keep running out of bandwidth. I have like 5400 of bandwidth. That only gives me 10 ziplines to use as a zipline costs 500. How am i suppose to cover the map with 10 ziplines? Even when i use a few of the online ones mixed in with mind, i run out easily. I think i managed to link up 3 facilities. But there are still 4 facilities at the bottom spread out which i would need at least another 10 ziplines to link them up. 

Am i doing it wrong or something? Is it wise to link up the top 3 only? But what happens if an order i select at the top has me delivering something at the very bottom which isn’t linked up? If i’m struggling to link this area up. God knows how i’m going to link up the next area which is 3x as big. Thanks. 

• Like 1

It's a combination of factors, level up the facilities as much as you can before continuing to the left part of that map, that way you are sure that you have the max bandwidth capacity. Upgrade your zip lines to increase the max distance to 350m and put them in strategic places (Top of hills combined with entrance to facilities works best). The rest is luck depending on how efficient are the zip lines of other players building on your server 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lezonidas said:

First you connect 3 facilities then you get 5 stars in those 3, then you have more bandwith and you connect a fourth facility, get it to 5 stars, connect another facility and keep doing so until you have all of them connected.

Ah right ok then thanks. What happens though if you get a delivery which is far away near the bottom of the map or something and you haven’t connected ziplines near it? I take it you have to make your own way there until you get more bandwidth to create more ziplines? 

Edited by Radford999

15 minutes ago, Radford999 said:

Ah right ok then thanks. What happens though if you get a delivery which is far away near the bottom of the map or something and you haven’t connected ziplines near it? I take it you have to make your own way there until you get more bandwidth to create more ziplines? 

Pick the motorbike or the truck. The thing is you use your ziplines first on the facilities that are more underleveled (since they will give you more bandwith when maxed out), also remember picking lost cargo for those facilities, it helps a lot.

18 minutes ago, Radford999 said:

How many other buildings do you have?

I've just unlocked the bottom left of the map and I have ziplines that go around the top of the map and up over the mountain in the middle.

A few are from other players. Most other players ziplines are just one offs in the middle of nowhere which can be annoying. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Radford999 said:

God knows how i’m going to link up the next area which is 3x as big. Thanks. 

Focus on putting zip lines in the mountainous area or area that are hard / impossible to cross with car or bike. 

You can also deconstruct the zip-lines you don't need via the map.

Once you link up an area with road or zip-lines, try to max out the connections with places as soon as you can to increase your Chiral Bandwidth. Note, some preppers seem to get stuck and take more convincing than others. Rest in the a Private Room, and keep making deliveries to them and sending lost cargo and the connection should increase.

If roads can be built, try to build them as it saves you having to make zip-lines in that area.

I just maxed out all connections in the central area and I wasn't able to connect the entire map as didn't have enough bandwidth. My ziplines went as far north as the distribution center south of Lake Knot.

• Like 1

Others have pretty much answered majority of what I was going to say but I'll add in that remember to Upgrade you and other players zip-lines as well, when you upgrade a zip from Lv1~Lv2 it will add a additional 50m or so to the distance bringing it up to aprox. 350m (give or take) which really adds up. Be sure to always try and take advantage of any other players zip-lines you see because their structures do not take up bandwidth. Forging Strand Contracts with other players also helps with this. If you put Strand Contracts on other players more of their structures will appear in your world (or increases the odds?) I did this with a few players that I seen place zip-lines in really well placed locations.

• Like 3

Roads are honestly well worth investing resources into as soon as you can. I neglected using them for ages, but a fully connected road + Lv3 Long Range Truck + constantly boosting makes things so much easier. At the moment i'm setting up ziplines in conjunction with roads, so any time I need to get to a more remote outpost I take the highway and then go offroad to zipline further out.

I found Timefall farm tricky to navigate to in general, there are a few heavy cargo deliveries there and one heavy which has time constraints. But you can leave the road near the Weather Station, boost up the hill to that and then take a left into the valley where the farm is and can still make premium level time constraints.

My main zipline network at the moment is up the mountainside towards the Mountain Knot facility. But i'm working on building up the super long highway connecting that to the marsh land below. I'd recommend that prioritizing the first three or four road segments that leave Mountain Knot facility, because there are some really tricky rivers to cross on foot and in a vehicle. The marshlands below are pretty easy to just drive. Also hot damn, the materials required for roads up that end of the map are high.

I still think there are areas that really need a zipline network regardless though - the two that really worked for me (and are still useful) are: 

• Elder - Film Director - Junk Dealer - Chiral Artist - Timefall Farm (Pretty much everything else can be handled by road)
  • Mountain Knot City - Roboticist - Mountaineer - Spiritualist - Hartman (Anything in the mountain range pretty much needs a zipline network for faster travel)
Edited by Crispy_Oglop
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

Roads are honestly well worth investing resources into as soon as you can. I neglected using them for ages, but a fully connected road + Lv3 Long Range Truck + constantly boosting makes things so much easier. At the moment i'm setting up ziplines in conjunction with roads, so any time I need to get to a more remote outpost I take the highway and then go offroad to zipline further out.

I found Timefall farm tricky to navigate to in general, there are a few heavy cargo deliveries there and one heavy which has time constraints. But you can leave the road near the Weather Station, boost up the hill to that and then take a left into the valley where the farm is and can still make premium level time constraints.

My main zipline network at the moment is up the mountainside towards the Mountain Knot facility. But i'm working on building up the super long highway connecting that to the marsh land below. I'd recommend that prioritizing the first three or four road segments that leave Mountain Knot facility, because there are some really tricky rivers to cross on foot and in a vehicle. The marshlands below are pretty easy to just drive. Also hot damn, the materials required for roads up that end of the map are high.

I still think there are areas that really need a zipline network regardless though - the two that really worked for me (and are still useful) are: 

• Elder - Film Director - Junk Dealer - Chiral Artist - Timefall Farm (Pretty much everything else can be handled by road)
  • Mountain Knot City - Roboticist - Mountaineer - Spiritualist - Hartman (Anything in the mountain range pretty much needs a zipline network for faster travel)

Agreed 100% I skipped Elder until I had the time and resources.

Can you link to specific players or does the game only give you a finite group? Would be nice to set up a group of people with roads and zip lines to share. 

12 hours ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

Haven't finished the game yet, just before the end of episode 8, but I build a huge zipline train that connects me to every single remote place around Mountain Knot.  Timed Deliveries take a few minutes tops.  I focused on putting one on the highest mountains near each person and then one down by their camp. 

Then as I traveled to each location during the story I would take 4 PCC 2's and place them in roughly 200 to 300 meter increments high enough to connect so I could get back fast and easy.  That plus a bunch of lucky placements by others online made a great network. 

Great tip is to bridge contract anyone who's ziplines you come across and actually use.  That way as long as they don't delete them you'll never lose them either.

• Like 2

Thanks for the tips. I’v managed to get all facilities in the first area to 5 stars except for one which is at 4.5 stars. But there are no more standard orders left in the area. How do i get this last half a star? I’ve brought lost cargo to the facility but it didn’t change anything. Any ideas what to do to get this half a star?

The maximum you get for the Eastern region is 21 individual ziplines. I made a video for twitch and YouTube sho ing off how to cover the whole region with those 21, hitting all the key points. You'll have to expand slowly as you build up your connections with the facilities you have at first.

I'm currently working on the central region, got everything east of the Rockies covered in a figure 8 pattern with 33 (I believe the maximum is 82).

On 11/20/2019 at 7:58 AM, villdoc said:

Agreed 100% I skipped Elder until I had the time and resources.

Can you link to specific players or does the game only give you a finite group? Would be nice to set up a group of people with roads and zip lines to share. 

If you don't have a  zip-line to The Elder, there is a path on the right side of the hill that is behind the Distribution Center South of Lake Knot. I took that path back and forth with a truck. Just in case, if you didn't get to meet that path. I saved most Elder cargo in the center (non-time-sensitive cargo only) and took them when it was truck load.

I currently use distribution centers as the center of the hub in their own region. I have a full network at the mountains and I recently have hooked The Roboticist to the Weather Station to break the isolation between North and South. Now contemplating on connecting Waystation North of Mountain Knot City to Spiritualist to open that location to the zip-line network at the mountains.

Another thing I do is I place a Timefall right next to every arriving point in the zip-line network to shake of the deterioration effects through zip-line travel. It helps getting LEGEND of LEGENDS in long trips, especially in the mountain area.

When I go to a new location, I use the map and use its PLOT ROUTE feature to measure distances. When the map is open, if you touch the touchpad in the middle and tilt the controller, it tilts the map in three dimension to show you the terrain details (highs lows etc).

Using L1, Compass mode is also helpful when you are next your zip-line and contemplating the next node. It tells you the distance the mid dot is pointing at unless it is higher than 700 meters or something. However, you can survey the 300 radius around you easily up to about 600m. Next to the distance that little graphic actually showing you the terrain highs and lows with measurements between you and the target the dot is pointing. I think it is one of the features I use the most in this game.

I have all the roads built and as one user said above I have also have it mainly in the mountains and and South Knot distribution center to locations mentioned. I like the truck due to the capacity I can cary around all at once. One last one is that I recommend switching the skeleton depending on the location you are zipping to. It also can increase the load you can zip as it doesn't care about the weight as long as you can carry it.

Keep on keeping on!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sepheroithisgod said:

Is there a guide up for optimal zipline placement? Just beat the game and was going to start with the east region.

There are a few on youtube. But in all honesty it was hard to keep track of where they placed them. And the fact that you will be linking them up with online ones too, they will be in different places. So i just did it my own way. Just place them as high as possible and one near every facility. It wasn’t as tedious as i thought it was going to be. 

Also, when you come across an online zipline, make a strand contract with that person. That way you will see way more ziplines around. 

2 hours ago, sepheroithisgod said:

Is there a guide up for optimal zipline placement? Just beat the game and was going to start with the east region.

There is one posted in this forum for the east region:

This is another one for the central region:

Edit: Added central region zip-line post.

Edited by FinalRevival
  • Like 1

I finished the game a few days ago and decided to just go for the Platinum. It's actually not that bad in doing it with the zip-lines, I have the whole East Coast done with max facilities, also almost halfway done on the Central Region. Even though I've seen some zip-lines, I have been putting most, but also filling in the gaps and placing them in high and strategic places, if I see a zip-line that's run down, I'll fix it instead of replacing it to save bandwidth. Just stick to a few facilities to level up each time before placing more heading west, you should have no problem and won't run out. Also I thought it would be a huge grind, but it's actually quite easy and kinda fun. Lastly, you don't need a guide to place them, just lay a path on the map and follow that, just look for strategic vantage points on the way to that facility.

Edited by Nitemares-----

For getting to Timefall farm easily isnt as bad as its being portrayed

You can take the road all the way to Mama almost, then just before Mama, head up and down the west hill leading to the river just north of the broken bridge in the river

Just north of that broken bridge is a crossing point in that large river, use your odradek and you will see.

Makes it so much easier,.just head towards South Knot, come off early, head over the hill, cross the river and you never enough have a clean run to Timefall 

6 hours ago, Radford999 said:

Will any of my ziplines deteriorate to 0% before i have finished maxing out all facilities?  I’m unsure as to how long the ziplines last and how long it takes to max out all facilities. 

I'm probably going to have the Platinum either tomorrow or the next day, and I still see structures that I put up during the story, with zero likes, meaning no one donated materials, so they last a very long time. 

Edited by Nitemares-----

Im having a lot of fun mapping out my zip line network. You need to get lucky with the online zip lines though to have enough bandwidth. Most are in decent places but some are placed on low ground which end up needing to be removed since they are useless. peaks of mountains are great since they allow 360 degree connectivity. perfect for those ones around heart man

EDIT - Does anyone know how much effect the request signs have? i just put up a bunch of zip line requests in hopes other players will put them there and actually show in my world to free up some bandwidth for myself

Edited by Gibbo_0113