Astray404

How do you feel about this game?

21 posts in this topic

I have been interested in this game since it's first trailer released and I'm wondering how does the gameplay look like in the final released version. For those who has already played this game, how do you feel about its gameplay? (Plz no spoiler😊)

Maybe it's nostalgia or the fact that I've personally been waiting 16 years for this, but I'm enjoying it so far. It kind of feels like the first 2 with a few tweaks. I will say, however, that some parts of the UI aren't great.

Shenmue lll exceeded all my expectations. It feels like mixture of modern and nostalgic feelings. I never doubted in Yu Suzuki. My mark is excellent!

I think the game is stuck squarely in the past... and thats not a good thing.

Dreamcast graphics

Dreamcast controls

Dreamcast voice acting

Dreamcast saving system

etc...

FFS, you can't even skip dialogues.

It's a flop to gamers who are used to today's culture of Hollywood actors and AAA budgets.

However, it's a success because it's a game designed specifically for the hardcore fanbase. 

I’ve been having a blast with Shenmue 3. It’s very clear that the experience was created to serve the fans and it’s evident in the gameplay, dialogue and abundance of Easter eggs throughout the world.

Corey Marshal maintains the same sound that he did 20 years ago and the supporting cast is much improved over some of the laughable character voices from the previous titles. It won’t run for any “Best Voice Performance” awards but it hasn’t negatively effected my enjoyment of the game.

The controls feel very much like they did on the Dreamcast versions, which I am pleased with. I don’t feel that they’re bad in any way, it just controls very much like a Shenmue game should which will feel different for any newcomers to the series. Spend awhile with the game and it won’t take long before everything feels natural.

The only negatives I can think of so far is the inability to skip cutscenes, the lack of YS Sega games in the arcade (for obvious reasons) and not being able to switch fishing locations without turning in your rented equipment. Nothing major.

It is clear though that’s it’s a nostalgic experience meant for the fans and most newcomers will have a hard time finding the appeal.

On 11/19/2019 at 6:11 PM, Jaxelrod said:

Dreamcast graphics

I never understood the complaints toward the graphics. The textures are smooth and the art team obviously wasn’t shooting for a photorealistic look.

i'm on the verge like you as well, even though i like shenmue 1 and 2, i feel like Shenmue 3 is not worth $60 for a kickstarter game and the "almost" scam that happened to the backers, but if you are a real fan of the saga, you'll be pleased with your purchase regardless of the price, but personally i'll wait till it's like $40-$45.

On 23/11/2019 at 0:15 AM, AlchemistWer said:

Fast question: Do you got a bonus if you have a save from Shenmue ll? 1f914.png

No, 1&2 were done by Sega whereas 3 is Ys Net, so there's no bonuses or carrying over of items between 2 and 3.

1 hour ago, Arielferrari19 said:

i'm on the verge like you as well, even though i like shenmue 1 and 2, i feel like Shenmue 3 is not worth $60 for a kickstarter game and the "almost" scam that happened to the backers, but if you are a real fan of the saga, you'll be pleased with your purchase regardless of the price, but personally i'll wait till it's like $40-$45.

Assuming you're in the US: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/shenmue-iii-playstation-4/6342250.p?skuId=6342250&intl=nosplash

On ‎19‎.‎11‎.‎2019 at 11:33 PM, Astray404 said:

I have been interested in this game since it's first trailer released and I'm wondering how does the gameplay look like in the final released version. For those who has already played this game, how do you feel about its gameplay? (Plz no spoiler1f60a.png)

10/10, I feel 18 years younger now with this gameplay.

4 hours ago, Sikutai said:

10/10, I feel 18 years younger now with this gameplay.

One short question, if I buy it right now, am I able to get all DLC packs?

1 hour ago, Astray404 said:

One short question, if I buy it right now, am I able to get all DLC packs?

You need the Season-Pass for 15 Euro. It includes all 3 DLC, but I don't know when they will be released.

On 11/25/2019 at 11:55 AM, Sikutai said:

You need the Season-Pass for 15 Euro. It includes all 3 DLC, but I don't know when they will be released.

Thanks, but I've heard that it's included in the pre-order edition as a bonus. Is this true?

I love it. The more think about it, I love it. Yu Suzuki delivered in spades. This game is something else. It's not perfect. I have my issues with it, but I do love what it's setting out to do....the ambition is still strong with this one...even with a massively reduced budget.

2 hours ago, Astray404 said:

Thanks, but I've heard that it's included in the pre-order edition as a bonus. Is this true?

If you paid 60 Euro for your game: No. If you paid 75 Euro for your game: Maybe.

Edited by Sikutai

There's no big intro sequence or explosive first chapter, no tutorials, nope, literally just starts and continues from Shenmue 2. This honestly feels like Shenmue 2 GD-Rom Disc 5. It wastes no time in literally continuing off from Shenmue 2, to the extent where if you started the game without playing Shenmue 2 first, you're probably going to hate the game and wonder what the hell is going on. People are going to be like wtf why am I talking to everyone and the story is progressing soooo slooowwwlllyyy, I have been playing for over 3 hours and I haven't even got into a real fight.

Not to mention you will go through your inventory and think wow look at all these items, photos and memories that I accumulated. Why am I opening and closing so many drawers and not picking up any new items. I am not surprised why certain people just don't understand this game series. It just clicks with you, or it doesn't.

I am happy, I feel like they did a good job. Like I say, it honestly feels like the continuation of Shenmue 2 but with better graphics. Graphics are good enough, like a very very high end PS3 game, similar to like how Yakuza 5 is on PS3. This is genuinely a game for only Shenmue fans. The Shenmue system and style of game, is now old skool that we're going to have to start referring to games like this as "Shenmue" style adventure game like why would say Monkey Island style game, Dark Souls style etc.

As long as the story continues and the gfx are good enough, then I think personally the game is a big success. They have replicated the first two games perfectly. I do think it's a shame that save data from Shenmue 1 and 2 like all your money and gacha stuff, shame that can't be carried over in the third game, but oh well, different developer, different generation so to speak.

If you hated Shenmue 1 and 2, you will hate this. If you loved Shenmue 1 and 2, you will love this.

It really is that simple. I really hate Shenhua's new face and clothing style though. I guess though I will just have to used to it. I see the Dreamcast box art and her ingame face on the previous two games and it just makes me sad. That had it perfect on the Kickstarter presentation and then for some reason they decided to change it...

PLd307R.jpg

Edited by enaysoft

Just beat the story today, lots of things that need to be patched; fully rendered NPCs, skippable Dialogue and cutscenes, Herb checklist, side quests not appearing. Game needs all of these to make it playable for NG+

Edited by demonoutcast

I've played through 1 and 2 on the dreamcast once a year since they existed. I still have the Japanese version and Japanese dreamcast before the English version existed. Wow, look at me gloating super fan for no reason, But we all know what to expect right?

So, Ryo still has the band aid on is face? It's got to be a tat right?