How difficult is FUBAR?

OmegaRejectz

• 6 months later...

I only have one small section left so I will comment. FUBAR is a challenge, but it is not as hard as I expected. The most difficult thing is that your compadres have a peanut rattling in their heads, you basically have to babysit them and rely on yourself. It reminds me of carrying a team in online multiplayer against a bunch of clever players. The main part I struggled on was early on, where you can barely see the enemies in the sand storm, if you are not quick enough 'Dumb and Dumber' will need reviving every time.

Difficulty 5.5-6/10 - if the game had constant respawning enemies it would have been a lot more difficult. The game is just cheap, most of my deaths came from the joke of a cover system and not my level of skill. For comparison Call of Duty WAW on Veteran 8/10 (mainly because of the filthy grenade spam and infinite respawning enemies) and Uncharted 1 on Brutal 8.5/10

Edited by HandsUp1992

• 10 months later...

I have it a touch less than W@W and Killzone 2's elite but well below COD: Classic and the Mile High Club challenge in MW Remastered.

Patience and perseverance are key, don't be Rambo and you'll be fine. Your AI can get themselves killed a lot but the bleed-out timer is generous enough for you to pick them off and heal later.

Three parts are hard: The Pit when you are on your own and have to fight 5 waves solo, The Underground Carpark turret and heavy combo and the last chapter. The rest is actually fairly straightforward.

Edited by Shady_Wombat

I remember it not being particularly hard, but there is one moment in the game where a helicopter chases you, and I almost broke my controller there (for some reason it was extremely hard for me). I took a look at your profile, and I can say that you've played harder games than this one. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I completed my FUBAR run last night and honestly the difficulty of this mode is way overblown. I was a little worried after seeing the endless comments and rage threads on PSNP, Playstationtrophies, YouTube videos where people said this is one of the hardest and cheapest 3rd person shooter modes ever. People were making this sound insanely frustrating and difficult, but in reality it’s not even that much worse than your initial Suicide playthrough.

The key here is is quite simply to use cover at all times, make smart use of your AI companions (especially Lugo), and take your sweet ass time. There are no infinite enemy spawns and no timers, so you should never feel rushed into making risky decisions or stepping out into the open. Also make sure to use stealth and/or make decisions that skip firefights at several points in the story when this is possible.

For a frame of reference, I don’t think this game is anywhere near as difficult as Call of Duty World at War or Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune on Crushing mode, and it’s certainly nowhere near as frustrating as those 2 games (the latter made me want to kill myself at points). There are maybe 5-6 checkpoints throughout the whole game that make up the bulk of this challenge but they aren’t too bad.

• Like 2

The platinum wouldn’t be at 10% rarity if it was extremely hard.

I got it in 3 days back in 2015 and I remember taking my time to enjoy the action and appreciate the story.

There's a few spots that take a few tries to get through, but it's just a matter of finding a good strategy.

Actually, I remember really enjoying playing on FUBAR.

It's challenging, but fair and fun.

32 minutes ago, LastMinuteSavior said:

I got it in 3 days back in 2015 and I remember taking my time to enjoy the action and appreciate the story.

There's a few spots that take a few tries to get through, but it's just a matter of finding a good strategy.

Actually, I remember really enjoying playing on FUBAR.

It's challenging, but fair and fun.

Yes. It's not cheap deaths like other games.

44 minutes ago, LastMinuteSavior said:

Perhaps, but not necessarily. Rarity isn’t always the most accurate measure of a game’s difficulty. I’ve seen many really hard games that are at or near a 10% rarity simply because they are very popular and/or attract a lot of players chasing that prize.

Spec Ops: The Line has the benefit of an extremely easy and straightforward trophy list which is undoubtedly one of the main reasons it’s got a 10% rarity. It’s a dream trophy list. There’s only 23 collectibles (all out in the open and very easy to find), no missables, and every single trophy in the game )besides the mutually exclusive decision-based trophies) come naturally. The trophy list is even more straightforward and simple than a game like Spider-Man, for example.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

You probaly played the game by now but I’m gonna respond to this anyway, perhaps others are wondering. Fubar difficulty takes skill and you should be able to manage if you’re good enough at shooters but the game is forgiving since it does have checkpoints, even on fubar difficulty setting.

One thing that’s annoying are the AI team mates because if they die, you have to start over from whatever checkpoint you were up so not only do you have to look out for yourself, but for your AI team mates too. You die fast from getting hurt on fubar difficulty, if I remember right so you need to be have skill, like I basically said.

I am on chapter 13 and will hopefully have FUBAR completed soon. Most definitely, the things that cause the main issue is the teammates just running into random areas and getting shot. I think the best approach is to try and let Lugo take any long distant enemies ( such as any RPG/ snipers) whilst you keep your head down. Unfortunately due to the nature of the game, I would actually say there are elements of luck involved with the game - particularly the helicopter run at the end of chapter 6, there is no definitive tactic other than hope. With that being said however, my advice would be to stick to rifles as much as you can, with exceptions being heavy weapons or the AA-13. Honestly the 417 got me through many of the midgame chapters, particularly the parking garage in chapter 10

• Like 1

• 1 month later...