Separate Leaderboards - A Proposal/Idea

Velvet

Leaderboards are already inaccurate as they are right now, but leaderboard that requires manual upkeep from every single person that appears on it is on a whole new level. :lol:

17 hours ago, NathanielJohn said:

This idea introduces tons of problems and solves literally none. Team accounts aren't against the site rules here, and you're effectively proposing to make them against the rules (well, against the rules for the "standard" leaderboard anyway). But the whole reason that they're not against the rules is because it's 100% unenforceable -- there's way too much gray area, and there's simply no actually reliable way to detect which accounts are and are not team accounts.

Also, there's literally no advantage to someone admitting to being a team account. They're a team account because they want to get high on the leaderboards, so why would they then opt out of the main leaderboard? Especially when the penalty that you propose for being "caught" is that they are... moved over to the other leaderboard. Why have a self-reporting system at all then?

Amen.

2 hours ago, Vergil said:

Why not remove the leaderboards entirely? 

Image result for disturbance in the force gif

If that happened...there would be 

Related image

Could you image...an entire generation would suddenly realize that their years of concentrated effort to achieve self-greatness by collecting non-physical awards were all for naught? What would they do??? Do you think there is a safe space big enough to encompass everyone that this would effect? Could PSNP be held responsible for any and all mass casualties this revelation would create? The legal arguments of responsibility in this "It's always somebody else's fault" world could take up pages and pages of text, along with the staggering amount of man hours spent by legal teams looking for a way in to make a buck via a class action suit...

Although it would probably be enjoyable to pop some corn, sit back and watch the world burn, I'm sure this too is nothing but a fantasy and things will somehow remain the same. 

• Like 2

I have toyed around with this idea for quite some time and the best idea I had come up with is to keep the current leaderboard the same,  but have a separate top 100 or so solo players leaderboard since all of the teams are pretty much in the top anyway. This avoids the entire leaderboard needing to be moderated and the teams get to keep their rank without being moved to the side. 

Also to the no team would admit to being a team thing is completely false. Maybe they wouldn’t actively click a button but if you ask some of them they are usually pretty honest about it. There will always be bad apples though, obviously, but a good chunk of the top trophy hunters are pretty honest and trustworthy people 

• Like 1

I have a much easier and quicker idea for a second leaderboard, have a second leaderboard that simply removes/does not display any common trophies.

Easy platinums, easy 100% lists for the most part will barely even add to your total.

Simply removing any trophy that has a rarity of over 50%, for very little programming effort, this will instantly help the leaderboards ranking to be much fairer.

When you load the page and extract the data, just don't add common trophies to any of the totals, Easy!

Edited by enaysoft

Because text on the internet tends be read wrong, please take the following responses as just discussion (just in case they come off as super defensive or something, that's not the intention).

3 hours ago, HusKy said:

Leaderboards are already inaccurate as they are right now, but leaderboard that requires manual upkeep from every single person that appears on it is on a whole new level. :lol:

It wouldn't be manual upkeep from every single person, it'd be the checking of a box. The initial window to do so wouldn't be short. If it were started today, I'd personally say to make the cut-off time after Feb 1 at the earliest, so everyone would have a few months to figure out what they're doing with their lives before making a decision. From there, yeah, it'll suck no matter how you look at it, but that's how stuff like this goes. Before the CRT was created, it was just MMDE doing the work and when he first started, it wasn't pretty. It was ugly. I can't imagine how high his stress levels were for the few months, the first year, possibly even now today. But it has gotten better. That's the main goal with at least opening up the discussion regarding teams and individuals. In all honesty, you could say it leans a lot towards personal reasons and an, admittedly, ill-fated attempt to get people to stop arguing over leaderboard positions and who did what legit and all the sugar coated goodness. 

1 hour ago, DaivRules said:

Proposal: Make this leaderboard proposal an additional paid feature so collected funds would pay a specialized staff to upkeep the obscene amount of work it would take for just this leaderboard.

If it ended up being implemented (I know it's not, but just if), and it got cleaned up to a standard that the majority would approve of, I'm sure volunteers could be found who would be willing to help with it. Getting paid for it would be fun. Putting "leaderboard clean-up crew" as a job on the W2s might be interesting, lol. "What do you do for a living"... "I babysit leaderboards for a PS trophy community"... **Gets stared at awkwardly** =p 

But I understand where you're coming from as staff because as I mentioned earlier, it's far easier to propose something like this when you're not the one doing the manual labor to get it going and keep it maintained. I do appreciate you responding to the thread to give your input (as well a B1rvine) since it'll affect you guys far, far, far more. 

17 hours ago, Havok_Knight said:

Outside of the extra work for the tracking, you could just have the default for all profiles set to "Everyone" and they will only show on that leaderboard until they pick "Solo" or "Team" which is locked and can only be changed by site staff. And yes, honesty plays a big factor into this idea, but so do most things in life. Should a Team Profile pick the "Solo" option and they are found out, they will be forcefully changed to the "Team" option and vice-versa. If the profile owner decides to raise a ruckus about it and get upset, there can be an option for site staff to have that profile set Permanently to "Everyone" only and they will gain no benefit from the other two leaderboards, which some people may care a lot about.

I'm a sucker for options so by default I like this alternative. 

35 minutes ago, midgetstrawdog said:

I have toyed around with this idea for quite some time and the best idea I had come up with is to keep the current leaderboard the same,  but have a separate top 100 or so solo players leaderboard since all of the teams are pretty much in the top anyway. This avoids the entire leaderboard needing to be moderated and the teams get to keep their rank without being moved to the side. 

I like this alternative as well. 200 person moderation vs... sweet baby Jesus there's a lot of us. Too many of us. New plan - Trophy Community Survivor Island. 2,000,000 must go. Make a good, clean fight. May the odds be ever in your favor. 

Edited by Velvet