Games you enjoy but never want to play

Power_Granger

Does this happen to anyone else? Games you really enjoy playing when you do play them but you don't feel motivated to go back to them. Hope that makes sense.

A good example of this for me is Rise of the Tomb Raider. When I first played it I had a great time and really enjoyed it. Then something else took my attention away from it for a week or so and I really struggled to go back to it. For whatever reason I just felt reluctant to play it even though I would enjoy myself when I would push myself to play it. I did finish it eventually but I really dragged myself over the finishing line.

Maybe it was a time and place kind of thing but now I'm currently looking at Shadow of the Tomb Raider in the Black Friday sale but I keep going back and fourth on whether to purchase it or not because of that weird feeling I had with the previous game.

Another quick example I can think of is Yakuza Kiwami. Really really enjoyed Yakuza 0 and that continued when I started Yakuza Kiwami. But then I didn't play it for a couple of months. Pushed myself to go back to it in January and had a great time again but I haven't played it again since. Now that 20% completion just sits there which bugs me but something in my body just won't let me go back to it.

Has this happened to anyone else and what games did you have this experience with?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Power_Granger said:

Does this happen to anyone else? Games you really enjoy playing when you do play them but you don't feel motivated to go back to them. Hope that makes sense.

I did finish it eventually but I really dragged myself over the finishing line.

Pushed myself to go back to it in January and had a great time again but I haven't played it again since. 

If that's the case, the topic is a bit misleading and could use an edit. I was going to list Wipeout, until I read the o.post, which is also pretty broad, as from the perspective of post-completion one is simply bound to not return to certain games regardless of how fun they are, especially if they lack strong replay-value. There's too many games out there to return to each and every you had fun with after beating or completing them. Why constantly return to Sonic Adventure 2, when I've been replaying it since the sixth gen and already completed it entirely? Yes it's a fun game, and I can keep enjoying it over time, but the times i'm not feeling the random urges to revisit it I appreciate the lack of motivation not to return to it yet again.

Answer: Yes it has a good bit of times, whether the games are good or bad. It's not always the game's fault, but in most cases when I return to a game I still have plenty of fun. I've just experienced this with Limbo the past two days trying to get its beat game in a single sitting without dying more than 5 times trophy. Even after playing INSIDE and various 2D games since my first time beating Limbo multiple years ago, I actually had fun beating it again from beginning to end when I returned to it, even while going for the single trophy for 100%, not that it matters since I enjoyed the ride again.

Sometimes the best thing to do when returning to games is starting completely over. Otherwise, you won't remember the story fondly, you won't be immersed (properly), and you won't remember all gameplay mechanics and tips you've learned up to the point you're at.

Edited by EcoShifter
  • Like 3

Jeez, I have a few of these. First one that came to mind was Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. It is a phenomenal experience that I keep wanting to return to but it also just so mentally draining because of how well it's portrayals of mental illness / health are done. Another is Monster Hunter World but it is such a huge time sink and the crown trophies drive me nuts so it drives me away regularly because of that. Bloodborne is sort of the same for me. It is easily one of my favorite games of this gen but those Chalice dungeons....*shudder*

Another issue I regularly run into is that I simply have a huge backlog of games I haven't even touched since buying them. I end up feeling kinda guilty that I haven't played / finished more of them when I play games I have finished so that definitely delays me revisiting ones that fall under that category...God of War (2018), Horizon Zero Dawn, etc. So I guess it isn't a matter of not wanting to play them but wanting to finish new games over replaying older ones.

Far Cry 5 - really enjoyed the main story and the Vietnam DLC but the Mars DLC is so boring and out of place, it is making it hard to go back.

GTA IV - A masterpiece in its time, somehow I never got around to TBoGT and over 10 years later, tried to play it.  It is so dated/clunky at this point, both the graphics and controls.

Far Cry New Dawn

Dark Souls 2

Blazing Chrome

Hellblade

...the list can go on and on but those are just a few that I can think of off the top of my head. Great games, but I got distracted by something else and just never finished them. It sucks because months after playing them it's just hard to jump back into them and remember all the controls and whatnot.

I don't think that hardcore trophy hunting is something fun but somewhat stressful.

Why did I start saying that?

Well, checking your trophy record it seems that you are completionist, who knows, maybe there are games that involve too much grinding and you don't have as much free time as you had before, maybe you should check if it's feeling as a chore without you noticing.

I mean there are great games where you don't need to balance how to play the game and at the same getting the platinum like A plague tale, mean while others require hundred of hours.

If you don't do 2 runs, one for the story and another for the trophies, maybe you thought that you were loving the game when actually you were in a hunting routine and now you can't come back.

Well, my 2 cents, just some random opinion for you to read :D

Hmm at this moment the only game is getting difficult to come back is God of war. Putting aside the fact that I prefer the original Kratos I guess that I got fed up of exploring and exploring, I never got hooked with the story, maybe one day I'll be back there.

It’d have to be The Last of Us for me. Got invested in the story and it wasn’t too bad of a game actually, but I just can’t see myself ever getting 100%. It’s a big game, plenty of collectibles, DLC and multiplayer trophies that I can’t ever see myself touching. It’s been sitting there for two years but I just can’t seem to open the damn game.

• Like 1

My issue isn't so much bc of motivation but fear of the plat and never playing again. Games like Control,  God of War, AC Odyssey to name a few. Lol

1 hour ago, Dovakiin0922 said:

I had a hard drive issue that deleted all of my Yakuza 0 progress. I loved playing it but I felt like I did so much, I haven't gone back to it.

Oh my god dude, that is painful to see.  That is such a grind lol.

• Like 1

Resident Evil 2 (2019) while the game was fun it is hard to go back to it, probably due to the lack of A/B scenarios. You basically just play 1 scenario every time unlike the original, even when you play the "B" it is basically just start in a different spot but play the same "A" scenario.

Souls series while i enjoy the aesthetics and environments i hate the sluggish and clunky combat.

God of War 4 after finishing it i waited for the NG+ patch but could not get into it again.

Those are the main ones I can think of right now but I know there are others.

Edited by Void

Hollow Knight. One of my new favorites of all time. Still haven't got past the third pantheon. Its been months since... now im kinda just waiting until it can maybe be my 60th plat. If Borderlands 3 farming and all these other games i have on my hard drive/shelf let me...

Final Fantasy 14. the only thing warding me off is the pay monthly to play.

Black Desert. bad Internet connection.

DragonBallz. looks fun when seen those eSport player going against each other, but I don't see myself playing it like tekken or dead or alive .

Rocket League. looks way too fun but again online only games is not my tea.

Pikmin. looks really fun but sounds like a very frustrating journey with that timer.

Hatsune Miku series. too much for my blood, I tried one of the ps4 demos and couldn't get into it... musics are so cool though.

Edited by yellowwindow7
  • Like 2

Destiny 2, I was a solo player when I was going for the 100% and stopped playing, then months later a bunch of my friends started playing so it was fun again. We all bought shadow keep and after it released, it was even more fun. But then one day I suddenly lost all motivation to play it anymore. Its still fun but I can't play it more than a few minutes without wanting to do something else. I'll get on and just sit in orbit while buying games I'll never play from the store.

Kingdom Hearts 1. I never played the series back in the PS2 days, I bought the PS4 versions to finally check them out. I actually really REALLY enjoyed my time with it, made it to the final area in the game...and never finished it. I just woke up one day and I didn't want to play it anymore. And considering I was going for the Platinum...I was likely going to have to do 2 more playthroughs of it. 

I keep telling myself that I haven't given up on it...that if for nothing else I need to just finish this first playthrough and say I finished the game. But I think about it, I look at it on my XMB...and I just don't want to turn it on for some reason. I think it might have to do with the fact of knowing how much of a grind I have left for the Platinum, and even though I enjoyed what I played I don't think I wanted to go through THAT MUCH of it. Added with the fact that I have the other games in the collection all of which require multiple playthroughs AND went ahead and bought 2.8 on disc as well...it just feels like a massive undertaking I wasn't truly ready for. 

The Witcher 3. This is a similar situation to Kingdom Hearts. I was playing this back in 2015, enjoying the hell out of it (minus some of the rage inducing parts from playing on Death March difficulty from the start), but I stopped playing one day and never went back to it after pumping about 80 hours into it. Now, I know what made me want to take a break...it was Gwent. I HATED Gwent, and I was at a part where I needed to play a lot of it PLUS do the Gwent tournament, otherwise if I continued the story I would lose certain NPC's I needed cards from. But I never intended to stop playing it altogether. 

There's a part of me that wants to go back...but I was playing on the hardest difficulty...I would be completely rusty at this point. I wouldn't know where I was at or where I left off. I tell myself to just do 2 playthroughs one of Easy and enjoy everything then a NG+ on Death March...but thats a serious time commitment. And I would have to play Gwent again...there's just too much of it.

Having a similar issue with Shadow of the Tomb Raider as the OP. I loved the first two games...but I installed Shadow on my PS4 with intentions of playing it and something just keeps holding me back. I'm sure I'll play it eventually...it's just weird that I really wanted to one day, in finishes installing, then I didn't want to play it anymore....and haven't since. 

• Like 2

On 11/23/2019 at 4:06 AM, Lorajet said:

The Witcher 3

Same here. I know it's supposed to be this epic game, but I started twice and ending it after 10 minute because I wasn't feeling the combat. Also, knowing the long, tedious tasks needed to platinum game sit in the back of my mind.

Persona 5 is the other one. After a long day of work and having limited time to play, reading text for 2 hours burns me out pretty quickly. Ironically, I recommend Persona 5 to everyone.