Is my PS4 destroying my discs?

Hvalpen

A good while back i bought a bunch of brand new games, all from the same store that i always buy from. The other day i popped in and installed Just cause 3. the system informed it could not read the disc, after a bit of back and forth it finally booted the game, only to be met with a shutdown(can not read disc) 10 minutes later. I removed the disc and noticed two scratches and a largeish smudge(like from a grease finger), it could not be wiped off. I figured the game was faulty from the beginning. Five minutes ago i installed and updated Killzone shadow fall, again same issue with readin the disc. I took it out and noticed several of the aforementioned large smudges, again they did not wipe off. Im starting to believe my console is doing it. While installing the update files it sounded like the disc was struggling real hard in there. However, i did install and complete Shenmue(also from same batch of games from same store) with absolutely no problem.

Has anyone ever encounted a problem like this? And is it reasonable to believe its my PS4 doing this to the discs, or should i write it off as faulty discs from the get go.

Edited by Hvalpen

3 minutes ago, Hvalpen said:

Is this a known thing? Also, does this mean its the laser that is destroying the discs?

It's a common problem which can happen to any device that's capable of reading CDs, DVDs or Blurays. I had the exact same problem with my OG Xbox and Xbox 360 so had to get the laser replaced in both of them.

6 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

It's a common problem which can happen to any device that's capable of reading CDs, DVDs or Blurays. I had the exact same problem with my OG Xbox and Xbox 360 so had to get the laser replaced in both of them.

But was ur problem just that it couldnt read discs? Or did you discs actually get smudged etc?

7 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

All of the above. I had discs that were scratched, greased up and smudged to hell and back by the faulty laser so had to bin them and send the consoles away to have new lasers installed. 

Lovely...does any sort of warranty cover that with Sony? Or am i just forced to do it myself

Last Monday, I had my ps4 whirring loud sound coming out and the top base of it turned to orange color light instead of white light. It sounded like high velocity fan (electric fan turned on) I'm too afraid to turn it on today.. T.T maybe I need to bring my old 500gb ps4 to get repair shop. I'm also afraid that my save may get deleted (ram)?? 

50 minutes ago, Hvalpen said:

A good while back i bought a bunch of brand new games, all from the same store that i always buy from. The other day i popped in and installed Just cause 3. the system informed it could not read the disc, after a bit of back and forth it finally booted the game, only to be met with a shutdown(can not read disc) 10 minutes later. I removed the disc and noticed two scratches and a largeish smudge(like from a grease finger), it could not be wiped off. I figured the game was faulty from the beginning. Five minutes ago i installed and updated Killzone shadow fall, again same issue with readin the disc. I took it out and noticed several of the aforementioned large smudges, again they did not wipe off. Im starting to believe my console is doing it. While installing the update files it sounded like the disc was struggling real hard in there. However, i did install and complete Shenmue(also from same batch of games from same store) with absolutely no problem.

Has anyone ever encounted a problem like this? And is it reasonable to believe its my PS4 doing this to the discs, or should i write it off as faulty discs from the get go.

ive had a similar issue with my ps3 although it never left smudges or scratches but it did leave a burn mark in the middle where it holds the disc although i think that might be because i leave my games on pause for a ridiculous amount of hours

but when my bluray drive was dying on my original first ps3 it would only read discs half the time. i would eject it and put the disc back in about 20 times until it worked and once it worked it was fine. all my digital games worked fine so i realized it was the drive. finally one day it finally just died on me and the disc was stuck inside lol. so i bought a new drive off ebay, took apart my bluray to get the disc out and swapped drives and its been good the past few years so far. your lens might be hitting the disc like the guy above said would be my guess. the lens is cheap but if you dont know how to take apart the bluray i advise just buying a whole new bluray. the cost is worth how much youll save in time

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Silently said:

Last Monday, I had my ps4 whirring loud sound coming out and the top base of it turned to orange color light instead of white light. It sounded like high velocity fan (electric fan turned on) I'm too afraid to turn it on today.. T.T maybe I need to bring my old 500gb ps4 to get repair shop. I'm also afraid that my save may get deleted (ram)?? 

It sounds like your PS4 is overheating, thus it will need opening up and all the dust and fluff removing. I would also reflow the GPU with new solder, because that has likely dried out. Before you do anything drastic, backup all your saves to the PS Plus Cloud and a USB drive so you won't lose anything if your console dies completely.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.

15 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

It sounds like your PS4 is overheating, thus it will need opening up and and all the dust and crap removing as well as reflowing the GPU with new solder. Before you do anything drastic, backup all your saves to the PS Plus Cloud and a USB drive so you won't lose anything if your console dies completely.

if it's overheating it's more than likely a combination of dirt/dust and dried out thermal compound that needs replacing

• Like 1