A Vigilant Crow's Quest For Shiny Trophies

VigilantCrow

Pretty good start. Good quality games you've done so far.

Great job on Fallout 4 and Lords of the Fallen. I still need to do Fallout myself. Lords of the Fallen I constantly see on sale, I guess that and Alien: Isolation are the two PS4 games that have been on sale the most.

I've heard bad things about Kingdom Come: Deliverance not running all too well. Some people have said it runs alright. I've always loved the lore and history of Medieval Era Europe and this definitely fits the bill.

The Evil Within is also on my backlog. Not sure when I'll get around to it.

• Like 1

40-platinum.png 16

Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Time: Approximately 350 hours

Difficulty 2/10

Rating: 5/10

Game was fun, but with the latest update (1.8), the graphics took a major turn for the worst. Floating heads bobbing down the city streets and shop menus glitched, preventing me from occasionally purchasing items, dropped the rating significantly. Combat was engaging though and felt more fluid than Skyrim or other AAA games.

Trophies covered every aspect of the game and encouraged significant world exploration to complete. No real difficulty to obtain any of the trophies, including the completion of hardcore mode. More of a time sink to build up skills and items, in order to overcome enemies. Probably could have cut the playtime in half if I followed a guide and knew which way to take certain quest lines, rather than going blind and requiring extra playthroughs.

Removing Mutant Year Zero, from my backlog and adding it to my current games. Really looking forward to booting up that one in the morning.

Edited by VigilantCrow
  • Like 2

40-platinum.png 17

Final Fantasy VII

Time: Approximately 60 hours 

Difficulty 3/10

Game was fun, but definitely not as great as people seem to say. Character twist was unexpected, which is refreshing. Game was a major grind fest though, which removed a lot of the original enjoyment I had, during the first 10 hours. 

Trophies touched most areas of the game, including an arcade, optional bosses and exploration. Decent list, but nothing memorable or all that difficult to obtain, after basic trial and error.

Adding Catherine to my in progress. Casually playing it, while I finish up Mutant Year Zero's trophies.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hsn963 said:

Evil Within is difficult, but the satisfaction you will feel upon finishing Akumo is well worth it.

Good Luck!

Much appreciated! I'm looking forward to giving Akumo a try (probably in the new year, after Mutant and Clicker Heroes get finished).

Congrats on XCOM 2 100%, its a wonderful game and I'd love to do it all over again, Darkest Dungeon is on my list and I hope to tackle it early in the new year. I see you are currently playing Mutant Year Zero, its one of my favourite games of the last couple of years. We look to have quite similair taste so might I recommend the Banner Saga Trilogy, I enjoyed it even though some of the trophies are a little trying. Good luck with your checklist and backlog.

9 hours ago, Spaz said:

Stardew Valley looks very tempting, but I'm often turned off with games that are time consuming.

Fector's Challenge seems to be the platinum blocker for a lot of people.

Stardew took me roughly 200 hours, while playing solo (not using money glitch). With the coop update, you could probably get the game done in 100 hours or less. Fector wasn't too difficult, once you get used to the AI. It's very similar to space invaders, when it comes to the enemy movements.

2 hours ago, jonesey46 said:

Good luck not falling asleep when you're working on Wolfenstein Youngblood. Completed it myself earlier this year and I hated the endgame grind, it was so boring. Good job on Stardew Valley I don't think I'll ever manage Fectors Challenge without dying. 

Thanks! I'm struggling with the coin grind. Really disappointed the "Treasure" update, doesn't actually give you coins...

44 minutes ago, elpoko said:

Congrats on XCOM 2 100%, its a wonderful game and I'd love to do it all over again, Darkest Dungeon is on my list and I hope to tackle it early in the new year. I see you are currently playing Mutant Year Zero, its one of my favourite games of the last couple of years. We look to have quite similair taste so might I recommend the Banner Saga Trilogy, I enjoyed it even though some of the trophies are a little trying. Good luck with your checklist and backlog.

Thanks for the head's up, I didn't know about Banner Saga. I'll grab a currency card after Christmas and buy the Trilogy! 

Mutant Year Zero is going well. Struggling to find weapon parts, for my last couple of guns. May have to use the exploit on a non Iron Mutant run, if the DLC doesn't give me enough.

Edited by VigilantCrow
  • Like 1

40-platinum.png 18

Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden

Time:  53 hours 

Difficulty 3/10

Game was an interesting hybrid of turn based tactics and stealth. Neither genre was given any real depth, but the combination hasn't been used much this generation and was refreshing. Trophies were primarily story related, based on skill usage and on exploration. 

Gameplay got stale extremely quickly, as there are only 3 or so skills you'll ever need to use. The AI didn't seem to have the ability to counter height differences, which combined with cover completely broke combat, even on very hard (height removes 25% enemy accuracy, full cover removed another 75%).  The other main concern I had was with the saved games corrupting consistently. Instead of doing 2 iron mutant playthroughs (one for main game, second for DLC campaign) as planned I was forced to attempt 5. I could have saved on the cloud, but that sort of goes against the spirit of an iron mutant/man playthrough.

I did enjoy the characters though, especially when they would banter back and forth or when investigating objects (They believe rubik's cubes, are weapons of mass destruction for example).

Overall fun little game when it works and if you avoid using the game breaking exploits in combat.

Adding Don't starve to my current playlist. Added the Banner Saga Trilogy to my Backlog.

Edited by VigilantCrow
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Spaz said:

I see you have Fallout 4 fully done. 

Anything I should know about prior to starting or getting all the trophies?

Fallout 4 was pretty straight forward. I went with a luck build and was able to breeze through everything, with constant critical hits and high tier loot finds.
Biggest thing is being careful with dialog choices, when it comes to companions. A few can be missable, if I remember correctly.

Edited by VigilantCrow

Game Completed: Don't Starve (No Platinum)

Time: 25 hours 

Difficulty 4/10

Rating: 7/10

Don't Starve is a resource management game. You're tasked with balancing a finite number of resources and surviving as long as you can. One of the better games in the genre, as it actively tries to kill you, instead of simply letting you hoard resources forever.

Trophies were straight forward, the bulk requiring you to survive the sandbox for 80 or so days total (can be broken up between several attempts). 2 trophies involve building an in game trophy, then clicking it 725 games (there's a story for that grind here if anyone is interested https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Accomploshrine ). The last 2 trophies involve completing adventure mode, which is basically a challenge mode gauntlet, where you must complete levels, with significant hurdles (map that is always freezing cold, one where killer frogs are constantly raining on your head, etc).

Overall the game kept me entertained throughout my Christmas break. No real complaints, outside of RNG occasionally killing an adventure mode run. Would recommend it to anyone wanting some rare trophies for their account. The 0.55% completion rate doesn't reflect, the actual difficulty of the game. It's far easier once you get the hang of the mechanics.

Adding Evil Within to my in progress. Been looking forward to this one.

40-platinum.png 19

Wolfenstein: Youngblood

Time: Approximately 130 hours 

Difficulty 1/10

Rating: 2/10

Probably one of the worst games I've ever played. A generic FPS where enemies level up, but instead of getting more challenging they act as bullet sponges. Story took 5 hours to finish, the rest of the game involved grinding experience and silver, in order to earn ability points/weapon upgrades. 

Trophies were straight forward. Finishing the game knocked off a good chunk. There was a significant grind for upgrading all abilities/weapons and a grind to kill thousands of enemies to achieve weapon proficiency 10, for each gun. Rest were miscellaneous and offered no challenge (get x number of kills dual wielding, during stealth etc). 

Storyline was highly politicized and preachy (we get it game, you're worried about global warming and increased storm surges), gameplay mechanics made no sense (characters wear power armour suits yet require 2 people to open boxes, or open grated doors?), zero character development and the game held your hand constantly (yes game, I think I can figure out how to duck...).

Gunplay was very polished though. Seems like the only positive I can legitimately think of.

Such a waste of money, time and most importantly, the Wolfenstein brand.

Edited by VigilantCrow
  • Like 2

Game Completed: Clicker Heroes (No Platinum)

Time: Honestly, I lost track after 700 hours

Difficulty 1/10

Clicker Heroes is probably one of the better clicker games, but as it runs by itself I wouldn't really consider it a "game" 

The trophies were all obtainable, by simply making progress. The ratio is by no means a reflection of the game's difficulty, rather it showcases the time requirements to compete the full 3600 zones.

Gameplay is straight forward. Defeat enemies to collect gold, spend gold on upgrading your heroes, then restart with the hope of making more progress next time. Definitely play on mute though, the 20 second jingle loop gets annoying, incredibly fast. That being said, it's not a bad little game to play, while you're off doing other things. Most of the 700+ hours the game was running, I was in my home office. 

In case anyone was interested, the last Zone boss had 5.0e255 health. Just an idea of what the end game goal is.

Adding the Banner Saga Trilogy to my in progress (started the first game a few days back). Will end up doing a blind playthrough of all 3 games, before focusing on actually grabbing the platinums, in order.

Bought Kingdom Hearts all in one.
Niece needed something to play, while she's visiting me for the next couple months. Disney seemed like a good fit.

No idea what the game order is, but will update my in progress with the first game, once I figure it out (adding rest to my backlog). Removing Banner Saga 2-3 from in Progress, for the time being (no HDD space after downing new games).

On 12/31/2019 at 2:41 PM, VigilantCrow said:

40-platinum.png 19

Difficulty 1/10

Probably one of the worst games I've ever played. A generic FPS where enemies level up, but instead of getting more challenging they act as bullet sponges. Story took 5 hours to finish, the rest of the game involved grinding experience and silver, in order to earn ability points/weapon upgrades. 

Trophies were straight forward. Finishing the game knocked off a good chunk. There was a significant grind for upgrading all abilities/weapons and a grind to kill thousands of enemies to achieve weapon proficiency 10, for each gun. Rest were miscellaneous and offered no challenge (get x number of kills dual wielding, during stealth etc). 

Storyline was highly politicized and preachy (we get it game, you're worried about global warming and increased storm surges), gameplay mechanics made no sense (characters wear power armour suits yet require 2 people to open boxes, or open grated doors?), zero character development and the game held your hand constantly (yes game, I think I can figure out how to duck...).

Gunplay was very polished though. Seems like the only positive I can legitimately think of.

God I finished this game months ago now and I'm still bitter about it. Such a waste of time and potential. Thank Christ they haven't added any DLC.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

40-platinum.png 20

Catherine: Full Body

Time: 58 hours 

Difficulty 7/10

Rating: 6/10

Catherine is primarily a puzzle game, with narrative sections (isolated to a bar) that seemed like a TellTale walking/talking simulator. The goal is ensuring the main character Vincent navigates ever more complex puzzles, located in his nightmares. Weird premise but it makes more sense once you get further into the story. Not great, but it gives enough foundation to get into the puzzles.

Characters aren't developed a whole lot and the new content that wasn't in the original game, reek of political pandering. Beyond that I have no real complaints.

Trophies were fairly straight forward. Watch all endings, beat all difficulties, finish the bar's arcade game etc. The main hurdle for most will probably be beating the optional Tower of Babel puzzles. You will notice that RNG isn't exactly true RNG though, as certain patterns emerge, making even these levels doable, with a bit of practice and memorization.

Not a bad game overall. I'd recommend it, for the gameplay.

Bought Zombi and McDroid.

Adding McDroid to my current playlist, Zombi to my backlog.

Edited by VigilantCrow
  • Like 2

Game Completed: McDroid (No Platinum)

Time: 12 hours 

Difficulty 2/10

Rating: 4/10

McDroid is a tower defense game where you control a robot, trying to restore a planet's health.

Using a very limited range of towers, you have to complete 13 missions. Each mission has an associated "challenge", and "nightmare" mode (differences primarily being number of enemies and new spawn points). Trophies were primarily based on completing each difficulty, as well as completing niche objectives (obtain 1k currency in a single level, only use a certain tower etc). The trophy rarity doesn't reflect the actual difficulty of the game, levels are easy to beat, with proper tower placement and a bit of trial and error.

Biggest concern I had was how unpolished the game was. During my playthrough my progress was reset randomly and I needed to restart from scratch. There was also a glitch that prevented a boss in level 12 from activating it's second phase, ruining a 30 minute nightmare attempt. 

Small game, but overall not bad from a small Indy studio. 

Adding Sims 4 and Bioshock trilogy to my backlog. Will be grabbing Feb 2020's offerings, undecided which i'll try out first.

Edited by VigilantCrow
  • Like 1

40-platinum.png 21

The Banner Saga

Time: 36 hours 

Difficulty 5/10

Rating: 7/10

Banner saga is a turn based strategy, that differs from the genre by focusing heavily on melee combat. Instead of the strategy layer involving the normal firearms and accuracy, Banner Saga has the player focus instead of unit size (giants/human units) and formations. There's a bit of resource management sprinkled in, for managing a travelling caravan but it doesn't have much depth.

Trophies covered pretty much every aspect of the game, such as story progression, using different characters, managing your resources/population and completing the game with different difficulties. Took 4 playthroughs to get all of the trophies, however with a guide it could probably be done in 2-3.

Combat is extremely easy on easy/normal, but I was forced to take my time on the hard difficulty. I didn't find any game breaking combat exploits, which I'd consider a nice rarity for the genre. Characters and the world overall were very well developed. I've heard choices do carry over to the other games, so I can appreciate that there was perhaps more development, than in a normal game.

No real complaints, but would have liked to have seen the management side expanded on. 

Adding The Banner Saga 2 to my current playlist.

• 1 month later...

Still alive after a month of grinding Fortnite.

Progress made over February:

Campaign Quests: 54 (47 Remaining)

Structures Built: 140,338 (359662 Remaining)

Civilians Saved: 1185 (8815 Remaining)

Exploration Badges: 402 (1098 Remaining)

Mist Monsters Killed: 1746 (18254 Remaining)

Play With Others: 397 (603 Remaining)

On 12/31/2019 at 6:41 AM, VigilantCrow said:

40-platinum.png 19

Difficulty 1/10

Sorry I didn't read this until just now.

As a big Wolfenstein fan, Youngblood is just a slap in the face.

I know people felt "Mein Leben is too fucking hard" or "Wolfenstein 2 focused far too much on politics and feminism", but it was still a proper Wolfenstein game. The only major flaw I felt with this game was the fact you are at half health for a good portion of the game because BJ was critically injured.

Absolutely love The New Order and The Old Blood and I wouldn't mind playing through them again. But Youngblood just looks like something I'd rather avoid.

Real shame... hopefully if and when they release Wolfenstein 3, Machine Games/Bethesda can redeem themselves a bit.