Is the sniper ghost warrior games any good?

Lonemankane

As the title askes. Is the sniper ghost games any good? I have picked up the first one and think I might get the others if the series is good but yeah. The games I want to really know the most of is either 1 and 3 if them two are any good and how is it in terms of comparing it to say the sniper elite series and so on.

45 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

1-3 have some buggy trophies and 3 is a trainwreck on a technical level by all accounts but I can't comment on Contracts, because I know nothing about it.

33 minutes ago, GUDGER666 said:

Yes but not on PS, 1&2 are like at a constant 20fps, awful performance on PS3. Not played 3 but heard it has performance issues, plays better on Pro. 

ah thanks for both of you for the feedback, but I  want to ask if 3 is at all good on a normal ps4 and if it is at all fun.

I wasn't a huge fan of the first two, but the third, despite some technical issues was actually good fun. I enjoyed the switch to open world and it felt like a Far Cry game to me. Not nearly as good as Far Cry at all, but in how you had camps to take out, targets to assassinate, various missions requiring travel across the map and crafting ammo, etc. Overall I'd recommend it as it can be fun, but the story could have done with being a little less predictable and cliché. 

As for Contracts, not played it yet, but based off of how much I enjoyed the third I will play it at some point. Hope this helps you a bit with your decision.

26 minutes ago, KANERKB said:

ah thanks for both of you for the feedback, but I  want to ask if 3 is at all good on a normal ps4 and if it is at all fun.

3 should be ok now.  I don't remember how long after release I got the platinum but it was fine when I played it.  I have played more technical nightmares than it like a certain Tom Clancy game called breakpoint.  Getting the platinum in 3 is super fast a day or two tops.  It is good fun for that day or two.  I'm finding contracts to be even better but it is a bit more difficult and a bit buggy as it just launched, nowhere near unplayable.  Contracts is sandbox open world where you have multiple objectives spread across a map and you can tackle them any way or order you want.  Just how a sniper game should be imo.

38 minutes ago, steel6burgh said:

3 should be ok now.  I don't remember how long after release I got the platinum but it was fine when I played it.  I have played more technical nightmares than it like a certain Tom Clancy game called breakpoint.  Getting the platinum in 3 is super fast a day or two tops.  It is good fun for that day or two.  I'm finding contracts to be even better but it is a bit more difficult and a bit buggy as it just launched, nowhere near unplayable.  Contracts is sandbox open world where you have multiple objectives spread across a map and you can tackle them any way or order you want.  Just how a sniper game should be imo.

Ah, I think I might get it as if it is fun and not as buggy as most say it is I might give it a go as I like homefront 2 and that game is buggy but it is good

27 minutes ago, PSXtreme_ said:

Sniper Elite is MUCH better IMO

oh I can tell but I like giving games like this a go.

• 3 months later...

I actually really enjoyed the Single Player for Sniper: Ghost Warrior. I noticed that you have not completed the game and I would like to note that the online portion is horrible and takes many hours. If you plan to start this game -- find a great group that are dedicated to finishing the game.

I was lucky to find a group that stuck together and finished the online trophies.

• 1 year later...

I would recommend you play them on PC if you have a choice. They run very poorly on PS3 with horrendous frame drops. As for the first game I think the single player is alright but the multiplayer was terrible. The second game is in the same boat, I have the second one on PC but have to finish up the trophies on PS3 too. The SP is halfway decent but the MP is god awful. I haven't touched the 3rd game but remember critics slamming it upon release (May be better now). I've heard from a friend that the new contracts games are pretty decent (compared to the garbage fire original games).

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I played all of them, and I will say: 

1 and 2 had decent enjoyable single player campaigns but the multiplayer like everyone else said, was a horrible  mess and not worth playing at all. 

3 was literally are horror story at launch but slowly got a little better. The game was still really fun and just felt like a low budget Fry cry. 

Contracts was my favorite and loved the new style for the game. Really made the series better. 

Waiting to catch Contracts 2 on sale and get the platinum. Should be even better. 

Even though these games are not the highest of quality, I still had a blast and they really are a top sniper sim. The studio is a small group of people in Poland. But I believe they have expanded. 

I know this thread is old and I hope you enjoyed playing them if you did. Hope this can help anyone in the future! 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/25/2019 at 5:48 PM, GUDGER666 said:

Yes but not on PS, 1&2 are like at a constant 20fps, awful performance on PS3. Not played 3 but heard it has performance issues, plays better on Pro. 

SGW: Haven't played it

SGW2: Enjoyable, but framerate issues and bland colors detract from the experience. I boosted mp against a bot PS3.

SGW3: Haven't played it.

SGWC: Great game, very enjoyable. Ditches multiplayer and lets you enjoy open-world contracts.

SGWC2: Even better than SGWC. 

CI Games is a small company and has come so far from the original SGW. Considering their limitations in staffing and budgeting, I am happy to see how much they have improved. They listen to customer feedback and are trying to make each game better than its predecessors. The results speak for themselves. The sniper mechanics are challenging but fair in SGWC and SGWC2; the mechanics are rough in SGW2. To me, it was worth playing the old PS3 titles just to see how far both Playstation and CI Games have come in the last nine years. SGW2 did not age well in terms of technical performance, but the voice acting is good. It's a quick platinum, around 30 hours (with boosted multiplayer). 

For anyone reading this in 2022 and beyond, try the games on an alt account and see if you like any of them. The three I've played have all been around 30-45 hours for the platinum, all were enjoyable, and the difficulty was mid-tier or lower. The sniping mechanics have improved with each game, and I rate SGWC2 as the best sniping game I've played. The SGW franchise is heavily influenced by Sniper Elite, especially the slo-mo kill camera, but I don't think that's a bad thing. None of the games were big-budget AAA releases, but SGWC and SGWC2 are still solid AA titles. They frequently go on sale for $15-20 US, and that is a great price for 40 hours (each) of enjoyable gameplay.

Edited by poetic_justice_
  • Like 1